Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts on: December 02, 2009, 01:32:06 PM
mattinaustin

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2009, 01:32:06 PM »

I am curious what people do to their shorts on a multi day trip if only using a single pair the whole time?  Assuming no extra water to wash with.  I have used hand gel to clean them, but its kind of a hassle and seems like overkill.  I think I am going to bring some sodium chlorite on this next trip (water purifier) and mix some up in a little spray bottle each night.  I can give the pad a few squirts and thinking it will be good.  What I am not sure about is whether the new anti-microbial pads actually need any cleaning at all?  I have been scared to try that ever since using leather chamios in the days of old.

--Matt

Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 03:38:46 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 03:38:46 PM »

I did wash once in Boulder (day 8 or 9 of the Tour Divide), picked up a new pair of shorts in Salida ~4 days later and wore those straight thru to the finish (day 19). I used a little water based lube every day and the chamois were synthetic. I didn't have any problems but I have a fairly clean "bathroom" routine for the multi day trips using antibacterial wipes.

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 09:14:36 PM
Metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 09:14:36 PM »

Thanks for that info Chris. I don’t mean to hijack this thread but on a related note what kind of chamois cream are you hard core guys & gals using for 5+ straight long days in the saddle. I would like to stave off sores and such for as long as possible. Using the same pair of shorts for 6-8 days without washing even with the newer anti-micro bacterial pads just kind of seems like asking for funk in yo’ junk.

Incredible marketing hype informs me that some chamois lubes out on the market have added ingredients that help heal sores & abrasions. I wonder if that would actually help in situations like this or is that purely marketing hype?

Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 09:19:32 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 09:19:32 PM »

I'm using Butt'r. Nothing fancy and I've stopped using much. Half of those single serve packs work for me most days. I think keeping clean was more important than anything else but who knows for sure. I haven't had chamois issues and I never bring spare shorts.

I think I worry more about getting dirt/sand in the shorts than anything else at this point so long as I keep my butt clean.

(What a thread!)

EDIT: Half the reason I got new shorts was the chammy was pretty packed out and the new one was cushier and the lycra tigher. I wasn't having any issues and I still use both pair of shorts!

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 01:58:41 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 01:58:41 AM »

Big fan of lantiseptic. Medical grade stuff designed for bedsores and skin protection. Lanolin and beeswax based. Been solid in rain / humid rides. You can get it direct in tubes or packets. Can't say enough good things about it - was turned on to it by the rando crowd.

Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 05:48:46 AM
Majcolo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 05:48:46 AM »

A tip I got on another forum to prevent sores is to Armor All the heck out of your seat. It makes the seat super slick which prevents my shorts from sticking to the seat, which in turn reduces the amount of friction between my shorts and my rear end.

Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 05:51:20 AM
Mike Brown

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 05:51:20 AM »

To me, the most important thing is taking the shorts off after the riding is over for the day and hanging them to dry- very easy to do with a hammock, btw.  Good bathroom hygiene also seems like it'd be important, but I haven't really paid attention- it's something I strive for anyway...
I try really hard to not use the creme stuff.   If I have to use something, A&D ointment works as well as anything for me.  On really long rides from a car, I use a powder aptly named Anti-Monkey Butt powder.  Marketed for moto's, but works great.  

Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 07:03:09 AM
mattinaustin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 07:03:09 AM »

I have a friend that swears by the Anti-Monkey Butt stuff.  Sounds like some people have more of an issue than others.  I find that the chamois lubes and antiseptic creams cause problems.  Clean, dry shorts and good hygiene are the thing that has worked best for me.  I like to clean up after getting off the bike too.  Antiseptic wet wipe in the morning, one after the ride.  If I am doing a long day in the saddle I like to put a very small dab of triple antibiotic ointment on the pressure areas before the ride.  I know...TMI :-)

I was hoping for an easy way to clean the shorts after the ride without doing a full blown wash with soap and water.  Will report back on the sodium chlorite solution.  Potentially could use aqua mira treated water as soon as it is mixed as well (I think its the same stuff as the sodium chlorite with an acid activator).  Double duty.  Triple duty if used to get rid of the general funky smell on all clothes.  Bacteriacide!

Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 07:20:09 AM
Metro

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 07:20:09 AM »

You say TMI I say if you can offer some advice that prevents a saddle sore and makes a tough climb a bit less suffering (soreless) and a nights sleep much better on day 12 I’m all ears.

I would argue that cleanliness is the best thing. Keeping the pores unclogged, the nitty gritty ditty wiped clean and the friction down seems to be the key. I like the sound of the anti-micro bacterial wipes. They would pull double duty as hand wipes. On that note I wonder if something like Purell hand sanitizer could pull double duty as “junk & trunk” cleaner after a long day in the saddle and before you bed down for the night?

I like the Aqua Mira wash idea as well. Another dual purpose item. Please let me know how that works out for you. If you put in 12-18 hours of saddle time in the summer in 80-90 degree temps there is no way around some wet swampy chamois without a whole bottle of Anti Monkey Butt. So a wash and over night dry would be sweet.

Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 07:35:14 AM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 07:35:14 AM »

Purell might work but generic wet wipes are cheap, light and come with a cloth which is handy as I certainly don't carry one and if i did it would be filthy quick. Plus you can tear the wet wipes into "sections" if you have some emergency #2 situation. All my trash gets zip locked away and these just go right in there too.

I also take my shorts off at night and sleep in cotton undies though I'd like some nice wool ones. I'm not sure they totally dry but I put them in my sleeping bag with me so some moisture is pushed out and at least they're not freezing in the AM.

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 07:41:00 AM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »

Or no chammy...  I use thin wool tights *icebreaker, smart wool* if its cold or swim trunks if its hot with the mesh cut out of them...  And keep the ass clean I follow the plesko method here Smiley

Not a saddle sore to be had in 4+ years now....  "knock on wood"

Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 08:26:44 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 08:26:44 AM »

Wanna keep your backside nice and fresh?  Choose a one speed bike.  Seriously.

If riding gears, stand a lot.  Taking pressure off the rear does wonders to facilitate blood flow and avoid saddle sores.

"Bathroom routines" (!)  +1 on the antibacterial wipes.

Must we always return to the scatological?

Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 08:28:16 AM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 08:28:16 AM »

Apparently DH, apparently!

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 07:55:03 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 07:55:03 PM »

I also use antibacterial wipes and I use Assos cream exclusively because it has "Ass" in the name. With a name like that you can't go wrong.

In Buena Vista this year I was out of Assos and Ohio Robb turned me on to something from the baby aisle that was pretty good actually. It was still down there after a long day. I'll have to find out what it was. Nothing special...we got it at City Market.

Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 11:11:47 PM
protoceratops

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 11:11:47 PM »

+1 for A & D. Not greasy or slimy...easy to find.

Lantaseptic is good too.  Better have enough when you start, though.

Isn't ASSos the stuff that gets hot when you...never mind...

Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 07:12:36 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 07:12:36 AM »

If A&D is good enough for Matt Lee (he is the one who told me to check it out originally) then it's good enough for me.  Long lasting and easy to find!

Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 11:22:12 AM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 11:22:12 AM »

I didn't see it mentioned here, but keeping your backpack lighter makes a big difference, too.  As DH said, more standing and less weight on the saddle makes a big difference. 

Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 06:40:45 AM
F0neb0ne

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 06:40:45 AM »

Just had to quit a bike tour after about 400km/ 3 days partly because of saddle sore (other part was that my GPS fucked up 3 days in a row in the middle of nowhere and didn't show the route anymore, just the spots).

I was using some Assos, but i guess not enough (btw. Assos is the stuff that cools your bum).
Also I was riding a hardtail, it was a very bumpy ride, with lots of track on concrete paths where you have a crack between the blocks every 2 meters, and I apparently had too much weight in the backpack.

What I can confirm that more standing is quite a relief.

So what I am wondering: What are you guys using these days? Any updates on your 4-year-old postings?
What is that A&D stuff (and is it that baby aisle stuff) (I m from Germany, so I don't know the US brands)?

Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 06:41:50 PM
ChronoFish

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 06:41:50 PM »

It's a petroleum based product usually found in the baby isle (at least in the US).  Thicker than bacitracin ointment, but not as thick as zinc oxide.  It comes in various sized tubes (even small packets) and tubs.

-CF

Topic Name: Keeping the nasties out of cycling shorts Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 08:18:21 AM
kato

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 08:18:21 AM »

I am curious what people do to their shorts on a multi day trip if only using a single pair the whole time?  Assuming no extra water to wash with.
--Matt

Depends on how light you wanna travel and how funky you wanna get.  I usually have one pair of my good shorts and then also carry a padded short "liner" such as those available from Gore or others.  If I happen upon washing water I'll wear the liner pair wear when drying the good pair.  The liner pair will dry super fast and packs smaller than another set of full shorts.  I just don't wear the liner pair when in towns or such, unless it's a pretty liberal area, a bit see-through   bootyshake.  I'm also in the crowd that takes them off when off the bike for the evening.  Lightweight running shorts do well.  I'll also wear the liners when my good one's fail or rub me the wrong way.

Thanks for that info Chris. I don’t mean to hijack this thread but on a related note what kind of chamois cream are you hard core guys & gals using for 5+ straight long days in the saddle. I would like to stave off sores and such for as long as possible. Using the same pair of shorts for 6-8 days without washing even with the newer anti-micro bacterial pads just kind of seems like asking for funk in yo’ junk.

Incredible marketing hype informs me that some chamois lubes out on the market have added ingredients that help heal sores & abrasions. I wonder if that would actually help in situations like this or is that purely marketing hype?

My wife and I have been using Geronimo Pain Cream this season with awesome results.  Its made in Colorado in small batches.  I find it more soothing and longer lasting than A&D ointment.  I the Pain Cream works well for me on rides up to 140 miles without re-application. More expensive butt better.  http://apacheherbs.1freecart.com/i/224964/geronimo-pain-cream.htm

It's not how far you go, it's how go you far.

http://faroutwanderings.blogspot.com
  Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: