Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Large saddle bag users step inside >>>>>> on: April 11, 2012, 11:12:03 AM
kkjellquist

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2012, 11:12:03 AM »

What do you do for steep technical terrain which requires getting behind the saddle?  

Having never used one and looking at this makes it seem impossible;
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:49:37 AM by kkjellquist » Logged

Topic Name: Large saddle bag users step inside >>>>>> Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:09:23 PM
trebor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:09:23 PM »

I can give you my story....

I rode down Fleecer last year during TD. It's steep enough to get behind the seat. The buckles failed on my bag when I put too much weight back there causing me to carreen off the 4-wheeler track and crash in the meadow.

That took me out of the race with physical damage to me and the bike.

What I would change if I were to do over again? Walk down Fleecer and keep using seat bags. The % of time I need my rear behind the seat compared to time riding while fully-loaded with bags doesn't sway me from their use and functionality. I'll walk that less than 1% I need to and remount and keep on bookin'!

Rob Roberts

Topic Name: Large saddle bag users step inside >>>>>> Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 01:42:39 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 01:42:39 PM »

You're right--with a seat bag you can't get your butt as far DOWN as you can without one. But you can still get your butt pretty far BACK. I think that Rob is right though--if you can't ride something safely, it's time to walk. Seems that I walk a LOT more when bikepacking!

"Done"

Topic Name: Large saddle bag users step inside >>>>>> Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 05:08:02 AM
kkjellquist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 05:08:02 AM »

Did my first trip recently and we both had pannier setups.  The best descent of the trip involved 1/4 - 1/2 mi of highly technical riding we both cleaned without any problems.  I'm sure with a large seat packs we would have both walked it and that sounds like no-fun to me.  Different strokes I guess....

Topic Name: Large saddle bag users step inside >>>>>> Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 06:25:03 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 06:25:03 AM »

kkjellquist

The bag pictured is either too full or just too big for tech trail bikepacking. From what I see the one pictured isn't rolled up tight it's like a dry bag the first 1/4 or the bag is meant to roll up. With my current sleep system I can get the bag down to a size I can get behind.

On the ride that you did with panniers did you have to do hike a bike with them. Panniers are a pain with hike a bike and the whole rack and panniers system adds too much weight to the bike. The over sized seat post bag is key to ultra light bikepacking, It's more fun riding a bike that's closer to normal weight.

Rackless bikepacking is the way to go to maximize riding it tech terrain both up hill and down.

Tim

Topic Name: Large saddle bag users step inside >>>>>> Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 06:34:58 AM
kkjellquist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 06:34:58 AM »

I just grabbed that pic from the Relevate site.  Their gallery is full of pics that show bags at least that big.  I'd probably borrow one and try it first of course.

Another question....what about legs/thighs hitting the bag with every pedal stroke?  Is that an issue for anyone?

Topic Name: Large saddle bag users step inside >>>>>> Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 06:58:44 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 06:58:44 AM »

Another question....what about legs/thighs hitting the bag with every pedal stroke?  Is that an issue for anyone?

no...

Topic Name: Large saddle bag users step inside >>>>>> Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 09:10:26 AM
trebor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 09:10:26 AM »

No, the bag is too far to the rear to hit your legs.

Rob Roberts

Topic Name: Large saddle bag users step inside >>>>>> Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 12:15:26 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 12:15:26 AM »

That pic is the Pika - the smaller bag of the two models from Revelate. The larger bag sits flatter and lower - still preventing you from getting behind the saddle, but at least further back. Pika was designed for shorter riders and large wheels, with little rear wheel clearance to the saddle.

Rackless bags are def the way to go.

About the thigh contact - the front of the bag is very narrow and tapers out wide to the rear - yes you may contact the pack if you have big track sprinter thighs, but I've never seen any scuffing on my knicks from Viscacha bag contact. I've found my Topeak mondo bag rubs, as well as the large Ortleib waterproof seatbag, due to the wide shape at the seatpost. I even run the Viscacha on my Cervelo S2, as the bag and aero post get along well. So much can depend on how your seat is set on the post, setback post etc.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Large saddle bag users step inside >>>>>> Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 07:11:36 AM
Blammo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 07:11:36 AM »

The seat bag that 12wheels --on this forum --built for me give me plenty of room to get off the back.  Not butt dragging tire room, but ample for anything that I would attempt when fully loaded.  It looks like you bag is attached at an odd angle.

For some strange reason my "Personal Setup" entry comes and goes from this site but you can look through the other personal setups to see what I'm talking about.

Topic Name: Large saddle bag users step inside >>>>>> Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 06:23:54 PM
mattyp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 06:23:54 PM »

i rode some pretty technical single track with my set-up;  but there were a few places i walked;  less from how far back i could get than just riding a heavier, slower handling bike and being 300 miles from home and about 50 miles away from a town made my risk tolerance a  little lower.  the bike does handle better with a lither set up;  i was amazed after riding touring bikes to this kind of thing how well they handle.  my thighs don't rub on the bag, because it's tapered.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: