Pages: 1 2 [3]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Lightweight packs Reply #40 on: January 31, 2011, 05:12:53 PM
Solrider

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2011, 05:12:53 PM »

If color doesn't matter, here's a deal on a Octane.  http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___85231

Thanks for that, but I went ahead and picked up a REI Flash 18 to try out.  I had a gift card and just couldn't ignore all of the positive reviews or the price.  I needed a new bladder as well so I got one of the Osprey Nalgene 100oz to pair with it and so far its working out great.  I needed something I could use for hikes, on the motorcycle, as well as the bike, and the plastic board in the Osprey is just right to give the pack the shape it needed. 

Topic Name: Lightweight packs Reply #41 on: January 31, 2011, 05:23:25 PM
WWOOF

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2011, 05:23:25 PM »

This is my dream backpack. not necessarily the best for bikepacking if you don't want to carry much on your back.

https://kifaru.net/KU2200.html

Topic Name: Lightweight packs Reply #42 on: March 01, 2011, 08:45:23 AM
6thElement

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2011, 08:45:23 AM »

Is this that pack?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmeiser2/5264424856/#

I had a brilliant aha moment of excitement when I was at my favorite store in Ann Arbor (called Bivouac).  Sea-to-summit has a new crazy light ultralight pack that stuffs nearly down to the size of my thumb!

Sea-to-summit 2.4oz daypack by mmeiser2, on Flickr

It weighs 2.4 ounces and holds 20 liters. $28 MSRP.

This is absolutely perfect for what I call and "overflow pack".

I like to carry nothing on my back.  However with frame bags one is always needing a little extra space to throw a bag of chips, a banana, apple, orange, a spare liter or two of water in a bladder, a baguette of bread.  These are almost always only temporary things for a critical stage in a trip that is remote, or merely grabbing some excess grocery toward the evenings at a gas station or grocery store.

This pack is perfect for such use as when done with it it can be zapped away in your frame bags somewhere.

Indeed I was so ecstatic about finding this bag because I have been using for the last couple years my own DIY version made of ripstop nylon, a draw string top and flat nylon straps.  Based basically on those cheap gym clothes bags you find at all crappy outdoor clothing stores.

Anyway, this might not be great for carrying more then 10 or so pounds of gear but it's a perfect place to stuff that jacket, wind breaker or other lightweight gear.

Plus it fits well under a wind breaker.

For my upcoming december / january trip down the Blue ridge parkway this will be essential.

It won't have much in it but a few things I don't want to freeze such a spare battery or two, and occasionally a liter or two of extra water.

p.s. I'm also a huge fan of the Wingnut and Zpacks stuff.  The z-packs are no doubt as light as this sea-to-summit bag but can comfortably carry a lot more.

Topic Name: Lightweight packs Reply #43 on: March 01, 2011, 09:06:25 AM
mmeiser

Less Stuff. More Freedom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2011, 09:06:25 AM »

Yeap that's the one. And it every bit delivered on expectations on my trip. Favorite use was purring a bladder or two of the hottest tape water I could get in it at the last stop of the day as it began to cool with sunset. Had a great stabilizing effect on my body temp when climbing and descending. What's more it was great while making camp in the evening.

Btw just discovered another brilliant option with great shoulder straps weighing 7.5oz for those who will use it more and pack it away less. Will have to post the url later though as am out riding. Post a reminder if I forget.

Topic Name: Lightweight packs Reply #44 on: March 01, 2011, 09:42:04 AM
johnnyp

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2011, 09:42:04 AM »

mmeisers, I was looking at your flickr account and saw this tent, looks lightweight and only 1 pole to carry. What it is? 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmeiser2/5307936579/#in/photostream/

I'm looking for a light (and cheap) tent/bivy to use in Arizona b/c I'm afraid to sleep with the snakes

Topic Name: Lightweight packs Reply #45 on: March 01, 2011, 11:53:02 AM
6thElement

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2011, 11:53:02 AM »

I think it's a GoLite Shangri-La of some sort?

Topic Name: Lightweight packs Reply #46 on: March 01, 2011, 07:51:23 PM
mmeiser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2011, 07:51:23 PM »

mmeisers, I was looking at your flickr account and saw this tent, looks lightweight and only 1 pole to carry. What it is? 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmeiser2/5307936579/#in/photostream/

I'm looking for a light (and cheap) tent/bivy to use in Arizona b/c I'm afraid to sleep with the snakes

Yes, is a golite Shangrila 3, got it down to 1lb8oz or so, not good if you're anti-snake though. No floor, no net.  I'd be tarping if it were me in the desert.  But if you want light and anti-snake you should go screen room. I suggest something like a henry shire tarp tent or a fully enclosed bug bivy that can be staked out and a tarp thrown over it.  My current fav set up for summer is a simple square wing tarp. With bugs I added a $35 sea-to-summit a-sym bug net sewn to a footprint. It can be staked out, it'd be nice and breathable, it would be fairly snake proof. It's DIY, it's cheap and though the materials aren't cuben or anything it's fairly light.  Indeed, a good tarp can be used 3-season if you're skilled in different setup techniques. The exception of course is mid-winter. Must have 4 sides.

Topic Name: Lightweight packs Reply #47 on: March 01, 2011, 07:59:48 PM
mmeiser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2011, 07:59:48 PM »

Oh!  Almost forgot.

Just stumbled on this today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25772134@N04/5442360295/#
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25772134@N04/5442966348/#

Equinox Ltd Parula UL day / summit pack
actual weight 7 3/4 oz, capacity 1,050 cubic inches.

The key thing is those shoulder straps. Much more capable then the sea-to-summit pack. However they also mean it's not stuffable. I'll stick with my sea-to-summit. it had no probe with two 34oz water bladders and a couple extra pounds of gear which is the most I anticipate ever needing given I hate riding with packs. But if I need something more that equinox Parula UL looks pretty amazing.

Update: Aha! Product page: http://www.vargooutdoors.com/Equinox-UL-Parula-Day-Pack

$40. Not to badly priced either.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:07:47 PM by mmeiser » Logged

Topic Name: Lightweight packs Reply #48 on: February 15, 2013, 02:02:21 PM
Couloirman

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2013, 02:02:21 PM »

Old school thread getting bumped back up. I think I'm pulling the trigger on an Osprey Hornet 24 or 32. The 32 is only 1 oz heavier so I am leaning towards that but I have heard the suspension system on the 32 isn't good enough for the load that can fit in there. I am not planning on packing it heavy at all, but I want to know that I have enough room for a few huge bags of potato chips, or whatever bulky and light junk food I feel like picking up in the towns I roll through. To me, I think the 1 oz penalty is worth the ability to carry more gear if I need to, but I was curious if anyone had experience bikepacking with one and if you would still recommend the pack to someone in the market?

Topic Name: Lightweight packs Reply #49 on: February 15, 2013, 03:17:45 PM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2013, 03:17:45 PM »

I have been using the Topeak Air Backpack for the last few months. Its very light (and uses adjustable air pockets instead of foam for rigidity and support) I like a lot of things about it, including the gear core which snaps inside the bag and holds a ton of tools, tubes, etc. It also has a mesh helmet (or extra clothing shed during the ride) carrier that unfurls from the bottom and gives a little extra capacity on the trail. It also has a waterproof cover and a little pump for the backpack, too. It straps at the sternum and waist. Also has a hydration bladder (wasn't so happy with the quality, but my camelbak 1.5 litre fits poerfectly in the pocket)

I am a little unsure about the longevity of the nylon, though, and I have yet to try it out in hot weather (I had read that the straps don't breathe well). But I got a good deal on it so I thought I would try it out. I like the size a lot because its ample but not so large that I can cram too many things into it. Hoping it keeps the weight just about right...

http://www.topeak.com/products/BackPack/air_backpack_l

I plan to take it out this summer on a few overnighters so we'll see how it holds up to a bit more abuse. My main issue is rubbing on low hanging branches. That seems to be the make-or-break aspect on my ripping backpacks.

Topic Name: Lightweight packs Reply #50 on: February 25, 2013, 02:29:47 PM
jbphilly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2013, 02:29:47 PM »

I'm all about the REI Flash 18. It weighs 10oz, including a small sit pad which you could probably remove to save another ounce or two, costs like 35 bucks, and rolls up tiny if you're not wearing it. I don't know if it's the most comfortable for carrying a lot of weight on a bike, but I try to keep little to nothing on my back while riding whenever possible.

Topic Name: Lightweight packs Reply #51 on: February 27, 2013, 05:51:16 AM
kkjellquist

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2013, 05:51:16 AM »

http://www.jensonusa.com/Hydration-Packs/Camelbak-Highwire-Pack-2011

Jenson still has these packs for $48.  I needed a bladder anyway so the pack really only cost me $15 or so.  This thing is MASSIVE but pretty darn light.  Pretty sure in warm weather w/ all my sleep gear (tent, bag, pad) on my Ogre fork with a rack and cages I could use this pack for almost everything else (clothes, food, gear).  Depending on the water availability I could leave the bladder empty.

EDIT: 1.79lbs isn't really light, but for the size and after removing the bladder it sure feels light.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: