Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation on: February 25, 2013, 07:45:02 PM
Shep Huntwood

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2013, 07:45:02 PM »

I'm putting together a bikepacking setup, and since I've done some backwoods camping, unsupported day-long rides and adventure racing, I've actually got quite a bit of what I need already.  The main chink in the armor, though, might be my tent.  It's an REI Half Dome 2, and it weighs in at 5.5 pounds.  That's quite a bit heavier than I want to carry.

I know a lot of riders go with bivys, hammocks or just tarps, but I'm not interested in those for a few reasons:  I am a stomach sleeper and don't sleep well on my back, I get slightly claustrophobic in some circumstances, I want room for me and my pack(s), and I plan on camping in very buggy areas.

I've spent a fair amount of money on bike bags lately, so I'd like to not spend a ton of money on a tent.  Less than $200, definitely.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 07:55:47 PM
nick

www.epiccyclist.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 07:55:47 PM »

I have a Tarptent Contrail. Roomy, lite, well made and not to expensive. http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html

Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 08:34:16 PM
Shep Huntwood

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 08:34:16 PM »

I have a Tarptent Contrail. Roomy, lite, well made and not to expensive. http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html

I've seen the Tarptents mentioned, but I'm not clear on how they're different from regular tents.  What's the advantage versus a tent?  What are the drawbacks versus a tent?  Also, are they waterproof?  The web site seems to indicate that they need to be seam-sealed first.

Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:13:19 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:13:19 PM »

The Contrail is a single skin - picture a tarp above you, a footprint under you, with some no-see-um mesh joining the two. The fabric is waterproof, but single layer tents are prone to condensation on the inside. They are light, simple to erect, with material where you need it. Seam sealing is pretty straightforward.  Another vote for the Contrail. 

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 10:59:21 AM
kkjellquist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 10:59:21 AM »

I've seen the Tarptents mentioned, but I'm not clear on how they're different from regular tents.  What's the advantage versus a tent?  What are the drawbacks versus a tent?  Also, are they waterproof?  The web site seems to indicate that they need to be seam-sealed first.

My Contrail was delivered last night and I'm pretty blown away by the design.  I watched a couple setup videos during the day and when I got home I was able to set it up out of the box in <5 mins.  Easily a 2 min setup with practice.

The Contrail is very light for a fully screened tent at 1.5lbs.  It fits into my Anything Cage perfectly and I'll probably attach the 14" (collapsed) pole to the frame somehow.  

All the Shires' Tarptents need to be seem sealed.  Not a big deal IMO.  

FWIW I tried a Hennessy Hammock previously and quickly got tired of it.  Seemed like a lot of work getting in and out, and even something like peeing in the middle of the night turned into an ordeal.  

Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 07:40:43 AM
Cosmo K

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 07:40:43 AM »

I like this design.  The only thing that has me holding back on the purchase is the performance in rain.  Can anyone give me an idea of how this performs in rain and/or hard rain?

Thx

Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 08:41:44 AM
kkjellquist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 08:41:44 AM »

I like this design.  The only thing that has me holding back on the purchase is the performance in rain.  Can anyone give me an idea of how this performs in rain and/or hard rain?

Thx

Search Youtube...there's a great video of the Contrail in a multi-inch downpour and it's bone dry inside.  The edges of the bath tub floor can be raised and lowered for the conditions. 

Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 11:22:02 AM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 11:22:02 AM »

I have a Contrail tarptent and it performed just fine in downpours.  You must seam seal the tent before using it (its a simple process that only takes 10-15 minutes).  Like any tent, you can't touch the ceiling/sides during a storm or it will leak but the Contrail is extremely roomy for one person and, as long as it is staked out well, touching the ceiling/sides is pretty hard to do.   The bathtub floor works great in keeping running water out too.  Definitely a good tent (well, tarptent) for keeping out the rain!

Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 11:28:58 AM
nick

www.epiccyclist.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 11:28:58 AM »

remember it does only weight 1.5lbs. For it's seize and weight it's hard to beat.

Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 12:35:08 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 12:35:08 PM »

I've had mine setup in about an inch of water on the ground, heavy downpour, didn't get any runoff or rain in the tent. Good tub floor. the eaves stake out quite far to prevent splash up. Reasonable sized beak to keep your packs/boots etc dry.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 12:36:13 PM
Mark_BC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 12:36:13 PM »

I was leaning towards the Tarptent but then I saw this from Six Moon Designs:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/Trekker.html

I like it because the side opens up so I can see if bears are sneaking up on me. It is not free standing however, but two of those attachment points could be on your bike.

Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 12:39:15 PM
Mark_BC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 12:39:15 PM »

I see on the pictures of the Contrail that it appears to have some open mesh just above the bathtub, does that mean you can see out in all directions even when it's raining?

Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 11:58:29 AM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 11:58:29 AM »

I really like the look of zpaks' tarp tents (made with cuben fiber and with screens): http://www.zpacks.com/

But they are pricey...

There is a type of tarp you can make or possibly versions to buy that also have bug netting. It hangs like a box below a tarp (and is sewn into the underside of the tarp). They look great, have excellent visibility and pack super small. There is a name for it and info on DIY versions, but I cannot recall it now. If I remember, I will post.

Currently I use a tarp from Home Depot and I like the different ways it can be strung. But I don't have to contend with bugs here. If I did, I might consider a bivvy with bug screen and string the tarp above me. But maybe a bivvy doesn't work for a stomach sleeper?

**updated**

I did not realize it at the time, but the DIY tarp I referred to is found on the Tarptent company website (Contrail, etc. manufacturer). It was originally put together and published by Henry Shires in 1999. I'm not even a beginning sewer, though I have ambitions...But still, this looks cool and is apparently very easy to do. For anyone interested:

http://www.tarptent.com/projects/tarpdesign.html
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:34:28 PM by wahday » Logged

Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 01:07:22 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 01:07:22 PM »

I see on the pictures of the Contrail that it appears to have some open mesh just above the bathtub, does that mean you can see out in all directions even when it's raining?

Not really...

Interior2 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Interior by mbeganyi, on Flickr

You can set it up in standard pitch, and in storm pitch. In storm pitch you can pull the back end down closer to the ground, which lowers the sides. You can also adjust the front.

Standard pitch:

Rear Struts by mbeganyi, on Flickr
You can slide the velcro sleeves up or down. Lower to the ground offers better storm coverage. Using a stick or the optional rear pole in the middle improves wind / rain performance, as it creates a ridge on that long flatish section.

In really foul weather you'll want to stake down the mid points on the sides:

IMAG4285 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Here it is after a night of some scattered rain, in 'storm pitch'. Not much rain overnight - but really high winds. We set up camp before dark, built a fire... when I set up the wind was coming down into the hollow, from the foot end. When I went to bed the wind was whipping straight into the front door. I should have changed the pitch, but decided on an overnight to just live with it and see how it went. I stayed dry, although it was a bit gusty inside - woke me up a few times. Had we not been in an open field on top of a small hill, I would have chosen to setup in a more protected location - beside a tree or rock, or where the landscape favored a low tent.

my tarp tent contrail by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Here's the standard pitch from earlier that summer:

contrail, fargo by mbeganyi, on Flickr

And the interior after 8 hours of rain (the night after I seam sealed...)

TarpTent Contrail, from inside by mbeganyi, on Flickr

I was unhappy with the pole that you can order - its really light, and when hiking I plan to use this with a trekking pole - so I made a new pole of a slightly thicker diameter tubing. Much stouter, only added an ounce or slightly more - but way nicer for cranking down the front in the wind. I strap the pole to my top tube, as I use a drop bar Fargo. The tent goes into my seat bag, or hopefully when I get a smaller sleeping kit into my harness.

Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 01:23:57 PM
Shep Huntwood

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 01:23:57 PM »

Thanks for all of the responses.  I'll admit to being a little torn right now, and trying to decide between the Contrail or an MSR Hubba I can get a deal on.  The Contrail's weight and packability sound great, and the many, many reviews I've found online are almost unanimously positive.  I tend to be more of a set-it-and-forget-it guy, though, and often find myself in sites where the ground isn't great for holding stakes, so the idea of a free-standing tent is tempting.

Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 01:34:58 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 01:34:58 PM »

Get the Tarptent Moment then. Only 2 stakes needed (or rocks, your bike, a tree, etc.).
My buddy has one and loves it.

I went Contrail because I need to fit it with my drop bar setup, the Moment packs a little longer.

-Mike

Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 07:49:19 PM
303-biker

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 07:49:19 PM »

I get why you would want a free-standing tent, they’re way more versatile. I use my mountaineering tent a Black Diamond First Light for a wide range of trips.
It’s roomy enough for me and my gear or another person if neither of you have personal space issues.
Mine actually weighs less than the website list, it’s 3lb 2oz with four stakes but goes under 3 without stakes and since it’s free-standing I’ve gone without stakes and just tied off guy-wires to rocks and sticks.
Plus it’s bombproof, I’ve had mine in some nasty wind/snow storms and it’s taken it like a champ so far.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/shelters/firstlight-tent?gclid=CPy6wtvK2rUCFfBDMgodpBIAmw

all that said the tarp tents are sweet and I'd love one if I always camped on good ground below treeline

* firstlight.jpg (59.19 KB, 399x669 - viewed 380 times.)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:10:00 PM by 303-biker » Logged

Happy Trails

Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 09:36:24 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 09:36:24 PM »

+1 on Shires' Moment model.  I've used mine quite a bit and if you definitely want a tent, it's a great one.

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 10:23:55 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 10:23:55 PM »

I use a bivy and tarp for bikepacking, but for touring when I want a little more of a home at the end of the day I have a Tarptent Moment. Very livable, great construction, venting options, very fast to set up and reasonably light for a tent.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Looking for a tent/shelter recommendation Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 11:49:26 AM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 11:49:26 AM »

I have a six moons design lunar solo, and I like it for what it is. It's not perfect but it gets the job done and it is fairly light and packs up pretty small. Zpacks would be my first choice now if I was to be in the market for a new one, so light and small but full weather protection. Pricey though for sure!
  Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: