Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Mountain Laurel Designs for Bikepacking on: February 06, 2011, 09:19:59 PM
WWOOF

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2011, 09:19:59 PM »

I want to get people's opinions on this pack.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=153

How applicable would it be to bikepacking with regards to-
capacity, shoulder straps/waistbelt, weight, durability, etc.?

Topic Name: Mountain Laurel Designs for Bikepacking Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 04:28:43 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 04:28:43 AM »

I see this pack was mentioned in the lightweight packs thread. http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,1571.0.html

I am going to 1+ what Dave said over there.
I think you could lighten a Talon 11 or 22 a bit and still maintain functionality for real bikepacking (ie gnarly singletrack).  I you went the stuffsack with straps route (Zpacks, REI Flash, MLD Newt, etc) you'd give up comfort with heavy water loads, and more importantly, stability in technical situations.  Even with a waist belt, I've found that packs in the later category tend to jump forward and hit the back of my helmet when rolling steep drops.  No thanks.

FWIW, the Talon 11 is about 2/3s the functional size of the 22.  Definitely enough for light and fast multi-days.

Unless you are really planning to go ultra light and fast I would spend $20 more and get a Talon.

I can see the advantage of these ultra lights I have found that if I do my best to limit weight I do ride better. But like with most things there is a trade off I wouldn't want to use one of these with much of a load. Think thin straps digging into your shoulders/hips for one thing. Then there's the stability issue.

As for durability I bet it's good that type of material is pretty good in a strength to weight ratio. If you are wanting to be competitive and have good to great bike handling skills this might be the pack for you. I you want a pack that will carry loads with comfort and stability maybe not.

Topic Name: Mountain Laurel Designs for Bikepacking Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 06:14:10 PM
WWOOF

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 06:14:10 PM »

ok cool thanks for the info. so does the larger waistbelt on the 22 provide significantly more stability? I have a camelbak mule which has a belt similar to the newt, and i've never had any problems with it. The reason I was considering the newt is because of how similar it is to the mule in its general shape, but with a larger capacity.

Topic Name: Mountain Laurel Designs for Bikepacking Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 04:30:40 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 04:30:40 AM »

I think the stability issue is more from the lack of a bladder pocket. The Mule and Talon have a sleeve that holds the bladder. The stuff sack would leave it loose it has a bladder port but no sleeve or loops. I guess you could add something in but I still think that for the price I'd get the Talon $20 more for a lot more comfort and features.

Not that this one won't work at all just seems pricey for basic stuff sack with straps.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: