Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: New Bike Order Problem -- Should I Bail? on: December 07, 2016, 04:52:36 AM
theTallMan

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2016, 04:52:36 AM »

Pre-Ordered myself a Salsa TimberJack 27.5+ as a birthday gift to me!!  This was in the beginning of November.
First time i have ever bought a bike that wasn't some sort of discount deal (end of season, clearout etc...) ... went for the full monty.
Picked a colour, (that's Canadian for color; Matte Khaki) set my desktop picture to one from a release review...  started thinking about colours for my frame bag....

Was told yesterday that Salsa is SOLD OUT in XL 27.5+
Salsa and my LBS have a plan to swap parts from a 27.5 Large and a 29 XL.

I'll get the 27.5+ build on a Glossy Blue frame.

There is a promise of a discount TBD.

Felt just less than OK when I got the call but now feeling queazy.

Should I stick with it or Bail out and take another run at a bike?
Colour is not important to me but I don't want some weird unicorn.  I can see myself trying to explain this if i need to sell it.

Topic Name: New Bike Order Problem -- Should I Bail? Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 06:03:49 AM
Marc40a

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 06:03:49 AM »

The frames look to be identical, just different colors. I'd be willing to bet they didn't even run the XLs in both colors, hence your situation.

I bet your order got caught up in the difference between a planned or advertised product-line and an executed product line. I had a similar situation happen to me when ordering a surfboard this year - the size/color combo I ordered was never produced, so I had to switch colors. 

Unless, of course, you see the color/size combo you originally ordered out in the wild. Then, you can be sure, that's the bastard that took your bike.

Topic Name: New Bike Order Problem -- Should I Bail? Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 11:22:47 AM
bikeny

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 11:22:47 AM »

At your size you should be on 29+ anyway!

Just kidding, that sucks. I'd probably move ahead anyway and push for nice discount.

Topic Name: New Bike Order Problem -- Should I Bail? Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 10:02:24 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 10:02:24 PM »

First time i have ever bought a bike that wasn't some sort of discount deal (end of season, clearout etc...) ...

Bail!  At full price you get to act like a cat, and be finicky.  In about 6 weeks something will be on sale for 40% off.   
29+ sounds good better anyway.  ¿Aluminum?

Topic Name: New Bike Order Problem -- Should I Bail? Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 10:41:44 PM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 10:41:44 PM »

Before you bail investigate if the no-stock situation could get worse.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: New Bike Order Problem -- Should I Bail? Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 04:43:25 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 04:43:25 AM »

I'm turning into not being a fan of Salsa for a couple of reasons. But, they have a high demand for their bikes and frames yet always seem to be sold out. In the realm of economics, if there is high demand for your product and you don't adjust production to keep up with sales, then you are losing market share.

If it were me, I'd look at alternatives. There are a lot of great well built aluminum hard tails out there.

Topic Name: New Bike Order Problem -- Should I Bail? Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 06:53:40 PM
TigerT

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 06:53:40 PM »

As a person who has compromised a few times on the colour of the bikes I've bought I would say if you're patient get the exact bike you want, in the colour you want it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Topic Name: New Bike Order Problem -- Should I Bail? Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 03:01:38 PM
theTallMan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 03:01:38 PM »

Update....
There is no opportunity to get a bike in khaki this year (2017 production).

Shop has offered me a discount large enough that I'm less nauseous about the colour.

If I like the bike I just might have to paint it. thumbsup

« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 05:52:59 AM by theTallMan » Logged

Topic Name: New Bike Order Problem -- Should I Bail? Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 03:22:39 AM
mandivided

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 03:22:39 AM »

As a person who has compromised a few times on the colour of the bikes I've bought I would say if you're patient get the exact bike you want, in the colour you want it.

I'll second that. Color (frame in general: size, geo, etc) is the one thing you can't [easily] change about a bike.

I'll also second the frustration that a few others have described with regards to salsa's (not mentioned here, but surly's as well) lack of ability to build/deliver the bikes they hype. What's the point in having a big unveiling party in July for a bike that you *might* have ready for stores *maybe* by, what, March at this point?! I can only speculate at how much business my LBS has lost having to repeatedly tell potential customers "sorry they're out of stock and we don't know when/if they'll get them", thanks to Surly/Salsa. The owner is really good at pivoting and directing people to bikes that fit their needs, but let's me honest, if you're looking for bikes with as big of an identity crisis as the ones in Surly/Salsa's line(s), it's gonna be hard to steer you to something else. /rant

I was looking forward to picking up one of the new gx1 spearfish (orig. stated delivery Nov), because i think that raw with the blue accents is money, but who knows when they'll be in at this point. One of last year's SLX builds popped up in inventory spontaneously a week ago and the shop called me so I pulled the trigger on it (it mostly matches my tiColossal, and most of it will be covered up with bags anyway :-/ ).

Topic Name: New Bike Order Problem -- Should I Bail? Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 03:45:58 PM
theTallMan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 03:45:58 PM »

Picked up the bike today.
Really happy with the fit and feel of the Timberjack so far.

Weight (with tubes, no pedals) 30.6 lbs 13.88 kg

Blue color (colour) should have been for a 29er NX build.

And yes the chainline is nasty.  Back pedal in the 42 jumps immediately.
LBS tried to relocate a spacer at the BB cups but then crank and ring strike frame.
Message is... keep pedalling foreward.

* Timberjack 27.5+.JPG (82.59 KB, 640x480 - viewed 756 times.)
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: