Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: New Bike suggstions on: November 28, 2011, 10:16:16 PM
slugsworth

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2011, 10:16:16 PM »

I've traditionally had a small stable of bikes, but I've broken my commuter/road trip frame and my last mountain bike purchase just never turned me on.  I'm hoping to find a bike that can do as much of my riding on as possible - which would include some dirt road touring, commuting, possibly some light mountain biking and/or or light road touring (I've got pretty UL gear). I live in the NW and am pretty light . . . the standard advice seems to be either a cyclocross bike or a LHT but I was wondering if there were any other suggestions.  I went to the shop to try a fargo but they didn't have anything near my size.     

Thanks!

Topic Name: New Bike suggstions Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 08:20:58 AM
LiiT

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 08:20:58 AM »

I currently own a FS 26 MTB and a TT carbon calfee from my IM days.  I run Revelatedesigns gear, no backpack, no panniers.

I've been looking for an all-arounder.  Something I can do road touring with, but still ride a local MTB trail along the way or many miles of  FS road and backwoods trails if there.  I've thought a cyclocross and the LHT would both be great but the price is off-putting and they seem a bit limited in regards to true MTB trails, especially if loaded.  I've been thinking of a HT 29er with stan's crow/raven tubeless on ZTR or 819 rims would be great for a tour of Florida or a dream trip to Colorado.  (If I buy one, I'd probably end up spending around $2k, maybe a lil more for a tubeless wheelset pref w/ 32h)

But then I think I might like something that's faster on the roads, so I can loop to my car more easily, pedal on local greenways/maybe get into some local overniters off the rails to trails, or get into the ACA tour maps-while maintaining my ability to ride a MTB trail that isn't too rocky or technical.  This would probably be good for cyclocross, or a hybrid bike.

I've been lookin at a Fezzari Speedster (aluminum) for this purpose and changing the drivetrain to the MTB Sram x7/x9 lineup since I have that on my current MTB and it seems good for loaded touring/offroad.   They even have the 2x10 option, which might be worth trying.  (I'd probably end up spending about $1000-1200 for this bike).  I can't really make up my mind and will make a decision sometime next year after I've actually got the money...  Just screenshopping and wondering if I'll have the time to put them to good use and if I'm really wanting to do some non-technical touring.  (cars are ok, but logging trucks.../sigh)

happy trails...

Topic Name: New Bike suggstions Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:20:15 PM
slugsworth

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:20:15 PM »

LiiT, thanks for the thoughts. . . My girlfriend is excited about off-road touring (she would be using her HT mtb) and you don't get that opportunity that often so I know I'll be able to get some use out of the bike (not to mention I need a new bike to commute with since I'm still nursing my broken steel frame to get around town).  I was thinking the cyclocross or LHT rides would actually be fairly affordable since I could get them out of the shop for ~$1200 and then make any adjustments I want. . .though I'm still not sold.

Topic Name: New Bike suggstions Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:59:58 PM
paxton coyote

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:59:58 PM »

Salsa Fargo or Vaya

Topic Name: New Bike suggstions Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 10:44:15 PM
stevage

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 10:44:15 PM »

>I've thought a cyclocross and the LHT would both be great but the price is off-putting and they seem a bit limited in regards to true MTB trails, especially if loaded

Nah. The only limitation of my cyclocross is really rough MTB trails (downhill, rock gardens etc). Most XC trails are a lot of fun...for me, anyway. Oh, and multi-day stuff can be hard on the hands if it's particularly rocky. Oh, I would say that without suspension, obstacles can be less forgiving - if you're not paying attention, you can lock up the front wheel more easily.

I do love the versatility: in the space of a week I did a 350km/2 day road ride with a group of friends on road bikes (30kph+), and then a 2 day bikepacking trip on rough firetrail in mountainous terrain (averaging <4kph!). And of course commuting, normal loaded touring, and everything in between the rest of the time.

The only thing that makes me at all tempted to switch to a hardtail for bikepacking is possible durability for longer rides, and the hand comfort issue.

Topic Name: New Bike suggstions Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 05:46:42 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 05:46:42 AM »

Salsa Fargo.

Topic Name: New Bike suggstions Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 01:19:27 PM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 01:19:27 PM »

Soma Groove   http://store.somafab.com/sogrhafr.html

A 26", steel, suspension corrected mountain bike (design for flat bars) with the the appropriate braze-ons.   Reasonable price.  4 sizes available.

I have one built up with a rigid fork.  Fun to ride.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: