Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Newbie completing my setup with a ton of gear questions on: February 06, 2013, 06:10:53 PM
EpicRider

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2013, 06:10:53 PM »

hi I'm Todd and I am New to the bikepacking community. I'm looking for some quality advice on gear. This all started with a renewed interest in singletrack riding and now it is a full blown obsession. I want to ride as much as possible and see some nice views so I figure the next logical step is bikepacking. I have considerable backpacking experience but never had the need for the next level of lightweight camping gear.
Here is what I have assembled so far:
-Specialized Epic 29er ~27.5 lbs and getting lighter as we go.
-Hennessey Hammock explorer w snakeskins (looking into lightweight mods)
-Commissioned jobs for a saddle bag and custom frame bag
-Mammut lithium 20 pack
-all of the necessary clothing w/marmot precip as shell
-bike tool kit, first aid, etc
-2 camelbak bladders

I am looking to find :
-a really light sleeping bag that packs down tiny
- gas tank for top tube
- best personal stove option (jetboil vs msr vs primus) vs cold food
-any advice i need for my first trip and how much storage you guys think I will need
-advice on these steripens i keep seeing
-food suggestions

I have already scoured a lot of the forums to see what info is out there and found decent answer to some of these topics but most arent from 2012-2013. I' looking the most comfortable singletrack setup that keeps the weight stable so I can still get some challenging riding done and light weight enough to keep me going and not killing myself.

I am planning to find some trips around the southeast as i live in Auburn, AL. The Pinhoti will probably be my first ride with my new setup.

Topic Name: Newbie completing my setup with a ton of gear questions Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 08:30:08 PM
bartspedden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 08:30:08 PM »

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm
~ Siddhartha

Topic Name: Newbie completing my setup with a ton of gear questions Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 08:42:19 PM
EpicRider

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 08:42:19 PM »

Do you think the 45 degree bag will be enough? should i try the 32 instead since ill be sleeping in a Hennessey?  Im mostly around the Southeast Thanks for the help!

Topic Name: Newbie completing my setup with a ton of gear questions Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:47:46 PM
EpicRider

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:47:46 PM »

Sarge-
The Potomac I see if rated for 30 degrees. Could I get away with a lighter one @50 degrees?

Thanks for all of the helpful answers and the well organized format. I realize already that my first mistake was not getting the ultralight. I used a vendor that claimed it to be under 3lbs (2.75) and the word "lightweight" was in the title so I assumed a little too much.

I also want you to know Im sad I dont get to buy a jetboil/similar. I may have to sneak one in somewhere without letting you guys know.

Topic Name: Newbie completing my setup with a ton of gear questions Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 04:01:32 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 04:01:32 AM »

Todd

There's no reason you can't have an ultra light stove set up if you want one.

I have the Snow Peak w Ti pot kit.

I like the convenience of having the stove, those Esbit tabs look handy tho and would take up less space for short trips.

For racing or even just on harder trips you can always ditch the weight and go with cold food.

For the sleeping bag I have two options: a 32 deg down for colder season use, and a cheaper fleece bag for summer.

The down is way nicer and compresses better but was pricey. To get the most compact bag you'll have to go 40+ or spend a lot of coin. I should think 40 would be enough in the south, as long as you don't go out on the coldest weekend of the year.

Topic Name: Newbie completing my setup with a ton of gear questions Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 06:04:08 AM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 06:04:08 AM »

For the stove I use one of those little alcohol stoves made from the bottoms of two beer cans. There are many tutorials online. I'm not overly mechanically inclined and it was very easy to assemble and very light. You won't be frying bacon with it but it boils water for a dinner and coffee easily.

For the steripen you should note that while they are very effective they work best on clear water. So depending on your sources you may still need to filter particulates. I have a pen I use when traveling abroad. I have taken it on backpacking trips together with another filter. I REALLY don't like have gastro issues on a trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Topic Name: Newbie completing my setup with a ton of gear questions Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 02:25:00 PM
EpicRider

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »

Thanks for the input guys2

AZ- Im torn between the Mtn hardwear speed  32, marmot atom40, and montbell U.L. ss #5. All are similar weight packsize which is ultralight and tiny.

Topic Name: Newbie completing my setup with a ton of gear questions Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 04:56:41 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 04:56:41 PM »

I have a Mt Hardware Phantom 32 and what's left of a Sierra Designs 15. The SD 15 is pretty small but that's partly due to the tiny zipper that's on it. I didn't get to use it long but that tiny zipper was a pain. For a little extra bulk I like the larger zipper on the MH.

The 15 was also way to warm for down here, 32 keps me plenty warm, not sure 40 would be enough for me.

Topic Name: Newbie completing my setup with a ton of gear questions Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 03:12:20 AM
EpicRider

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 03:12:20 AM »

I decided to go with the MontBell UL SS#5. At a tad over 1lb it should be perfect for my weather coupled with an UQ or maybe even a thermarest neoair  x-lite with higher R value. . MY next question is what UQ should I be looking at? Yeti from Warbonnet looks lighter than the rest and smaller. Anyone have experience in 30-50F with just a bag and thermarest?

Topic Name: Newbie completing my setup with a ton of gear questions Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 09:11:18 AM
wisaunders

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 09:11:18 AM »

Here's a short list that I put together a while back for a friend of mine looking to gear up.

WhatSpecificWeightPriceComment
Cold Weather Sleeping BagALPS Mountaineering Clearwater 35F Sleeping Bag Regular3lb 8oz$65.00I'd rather have a 20 or 0 degree bag but this was a good deal when I got it.
Warm Weather Sleeping BagREI Travel Sack +55 Sleeping Bag1lb 11oz$60.00Packs tiny, love it for TX
TentMOUNTAINSMITH - MORRISON 2 PERSON4lb 11oz$130.00Good weight\price value for a two person
Sleeping PadBig Agnes Air Core Sleeping Pad1lb 6oz$45.00Packs up small, feels like sleeping on a pool raft
Seat BagRevelate Designs Viscacha Seat Bag14 oz$130.00Love this, great way to avoid panniers
Frame BagNashbar Frame Pack Bag?On Sale now for $5.00Great small frame bag to hold a few extras
HammockENO SingleNest1lb 2oz$55.00Way lighter and smaller  than the tent
Hammock Suspension StrapsENO SlapStrap PRO8oz$25.00Longer and lighter than the less expensive ones

Topic Name: Newbie completing my setup with a ton of gear questions Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 09:55:21 AM
ascar_larkinyar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 09:55:21 AM »

for a stove i like something like the firebox.  easier for me to burn wood.  enough fuel to last all night(must keep feeding) and cook anything i want.

for trails with no wood i use an alcohol stove. 

sleeping bag i like to use layers.  it's rare that it's going to be the same temperature every night and even if i can guess what it will be.  combo of extra clothes and bag and bivy and layers is easier to be ready and comfy.

Topic Name: Newbie completing my setup with a ton of gear questions Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 10:07:16 AM
jbphilly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 10:07:16 AM »

If you're wearing a backpack and not using a handlebar roll, I really recommend you switch. I hate wearing a backpack while riding, and I think a lot of people agree. I use the Sling from Revelate Designs (I don't think it's made anymore, but you can maybe find a used one) as well as their large Pocket to go around it and hold extra stuff. The Sling holds a drysack full of my clothing and camping equipment. I use a hammock too, but if I switched to a tent it would also fit right in there.

Topic Name: Newbie completing my setup with a ton of gear questions Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 10:42:37 AM
EpicRider

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 10:42:37 AM »

I will be carrying a 20L light pack. I prefer to have some of the weight on my bike to keep by bike agile. The rest will go in a seatpack being built and a small custom frame pack assuming i need it.

Topic Name: Newbie completing my setup with a ton of gear questions Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 11:58:34 AM
Payton MacDonald

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »

Check out the classified section here and especially backpackinglight.com.  I saved tons of money getting a lot of stuff used and it is fun to build your kit in a unique way.

Topic Name: Newbie completing my setup with a ton of gear questions Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 01:24:25 AM
EpicRider

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 01:24:25 AM »

Well, I revised my setup and I am officially ultralight. That is the good news. I haven't been able to find much info on the Pinhoti trail system for a possible singletrack predominant route. Anyone from North GA/TN area?

Topic Name: Newbie completing my setup with a ton of gear questions Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 10:27:43 AM
PretendGentleman

Athens, Georgia

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 10:27:43 AM »

If you're wearing a backpack and not using a handlebar roll, I really recommend you switch. I hate wearing a backpack while riding, and I think a lot of people agree. I use the Sling from Revelate Designs (I don't think it's made anymore, but you can maybe find a used one) as well as their large Pocket to go around it and hold extra stuff. The Sling holds a drysack full of my clothing and camping equipment. I use a hammock too, but if I switched to a tent it would also fit right in there.

If you do lots of singletrack riding on more remote trails, climbing over downed trees with weight on the bike instead of your back is a big pain and can result in damage to the bike.  I did a ride recently with many many trees down on the trail.  Most were easy to get over, but a few required me to climb over multiple 2' diameter branches while carrying my bike.  If I had less weight on my back, life would have been tough.

For sleeping bag temp. ratings, my experience is that they are based on the assumption that you're sharing a tent with a very warm fat guy who helps keep you warm.  I've been in n. georgia when the temp got into single digits (F) using a zero degree bag under a tarp and on a thermarest and found myself to be very very cold.  Even with lows at 20F a zero degree bag outside of a tent makes for chilly sleeping in the wee hours of the morning.

Topic Name: Newbie completing my setup with a ton of gear questions Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 08:41:04 PM
FatCloud

Cross check at Briones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 08:41:04 PM »

No love for Lafuma? Cheap light sleeping bags.

Topic Name: Newbie completing my setup with a ton of gear questions Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 07:45:46 AM
jbphilly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 07:45:46 AM »

What are you using for bottom insulation in your hammock?

Also, I'd suggest a quilt instead of a sleeping bag - lighter and more compact, as there's less material. I have one from www.hammockgear.com.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: