Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Newbie needs a bike on: September 30, 2014, 10:24:16 AM
Peteyd

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2014, 10:24:16 AM »

After my 3rd and last failed attempt at the LT100 recently I decided that I need a new adventure. I’m considering doing the Great Divide next summer. I’ve never been on a mountain bike. I’m an experienced backpacker and I do a couple thousand miles a year on my road bike so I figure I have some transferable skills.
I’ve dealt with my local shop for decades and they really treat me well. Unfortunately, all they sell is Trek.  I want a hardtail 29er.They suggested the Superfly 8. It is right at my $2K budget. I don’t care for the Bontrager setup, however. I’ve had several of their wheels fail over the years and the fact that they dropped their warranty down from 5 to 2 years makes me wonder how much they trust their own product.
Any thoughts on the Trek or suggestions?

Topic Name: Newbie needs a bike Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 09:03:15 PM
mattyp

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 09:03:15 PM »

if you are not digging the wheels, ask if you can change or upgrade to something you like.

Topic Name: Newbie needs a bike Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 10:51:05 AM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 10:51:05 AM »

Almost anything that's reliable and comfy will work. Modified road bikes, FS, hard tails, fat bikes, 29+, trailers, full support, bike bags... It's all on the divide. It's more about your desire than any particular bike or brand.

Having a good shop back you up is a boon. Is your shop willing to ship you out any part of your bike that breaks en route? Straight up ask them, and discuss reservations you have about the Trek if you haven't. IME a good, responsive shop backing you up trumps dissecting minutiae about brand or model.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: