Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Prescription glasses on: May 01, 2011, 08:14:42 AM
riverfever

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2011, 08:14:42 AM »

It would appear that I am getting older. I've had glasses for 8 years now I guess but never actually wore them until these past two years when my script changed a bit. Now, I find that when I don't wear them, I actually cant see all that well. My script is not crazy by any means but I no longer wear them just when reading or working at the computer. Now I wear them to watch tv, work on my car, or go to dinner. I do not, however, wear them when I ride (mostly because they don't protect my eyes from watering). During a long bikepacking ride/race, I can go without sunglasses during the day but I have to have something with a clear lens at night or else my eyes water too much (particularly out here in CO when the nights are cool) and then I can't see even more so. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do this year. What do other visionally challenged people do?

I've thought about (but haven't really looked at) prescription Oakleys that will offer protection form the wind at night and still allow me to see in the night and day. I just worry that these are gonna get scratched up but I suppose I'd rather they get scratched than my everyday glasses.

I've considered contacts but I don't even know if that's a good idea with tall of the dirt from multiday stuff.

-Chris

Topic Name: Prescription glasses Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 08:29:09 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 08:29:09 PM »

Right now I'm thinking that just clear, prescription lenses in a solid frame (Gas Can or similar) would be best.

Topic Name: Prescription glasses Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 06:21:36 AM
jlaudin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 06:21:36 AM »

I have been very pleased with Adidas "Evil Eye" they are sunglasses with a clip in prescription lens, I've used them for 5 yrs. You can swap out the sunglass part with different degrees of sun protection. See:

You can see in the attached picture the prescription insert through the lens.

* 1156041_com_adidasevil.jpg (32.63 KB, 500x375 - viewed 377 times.)

Topic Name: Prescription glasses Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 06:37:19 AM
trebor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 06:37:19 AM »

i've historically worn contacts. for one day and occasional overnighters they work OK. fast downhills (especially in cool temps) can cause the lenses to "float" away from the iris. not a good thing. care is the bigger problem. dirty hands and what not.

lately i've been wearing my regular Rx day-to-day glasses with good luck. i don't wear them on tight/technical singletrack however. only for bikepacking. in the tight stuff the constantly varying focal point of the lens causes just enough of a spatial distortion to cause me to miss my line. usually going too hot and blowing through a corner.

i'm ordering a set of Rx sunglasses through my eye doctor. luckily my insurance picks up "Transitions" auto tinting free. i'll be testing them as soon as they arrive

Rob Roberts

Topic Name: Prescription glasses Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 07:44:25 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 07:44:25 AM »

With my 8.5 diopter corrections, I much prefer contacts. I wear Smith glasses with interchangeable lenses--dark polarized for the daytime and clear for night. Contacts are sort of a pain when camping, but taking them out at night isn't really that hard--and I've never had an eye infection despite some less-than-clean hands (knocking on wood).

"Done"

Topic Name: Prescription glasses Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 07:53:18 AM
gregclimbs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 07:53:18 AM »

I had a pair of prescription m-frames that were stolen out of my car.  angry4

I loved them... hardly heavier than regular m-frames and excellent optics.

that said, with the loss of these glasses, I got a set of jawbones for racing and bikepacking.  I really like the compactness of the second set of lenses (as opposed to the one piece large lens).

I am pretty sure they are available via the prescription program at oakley as well.

Oh, and you can buy them via your cafeteria plan at work if you have one...

Cheesy

g

Topic Name: Prescription glasses Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 11:26:13 AM
tonymason

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 11:26:13 AM »

Colorado's dryness played too much havoc on my eyes with contacts. I have used prescription wrap-around sun glasses for seven years now on virtually a daily basis.
Worth every penny.
Tony

Topic Name: Prescription glasses Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 12:26:06 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 12:26:06 PM »

These are some of the issues I just talked to my eye doctor about. I was worried that handling my contacts on a daily basis during the TD would render my eyes infected, as they are wont to do. She suggested dailies, which weren't working out with my eyes and doesn't solve many problems since you're still touching your eyes at least 2x day.

A friend suggested *monthlies*, which allows you to only take the contacts out (and throw away) once a month. The doc wasn't really into that idea, but also pointed to the fact I can wear what I usually wear (biofinity) a week at a time, only *needing* to take them out once a week. So, my plan is to only take out my contacts when my hands are nice and clean - when a bathroom w/soap is available. Give my eyes a rest while eating lunch by taking them out and putting on my glasses. It may be worth to give different brands a try and see what works best for you. I've only had a contact eject out of my eye going Mach 3 down a hill, once, which is nice.

Bringing along a small thing of saline solution and probably something like Clear Eyes (which should also be easy enough to find in gas stations en route) and maybe some eye antibiotics just in case. Eye infections are crippling - if you've never had one, consider yourself lucky. Redness and intense sensitivity to light. If it's not treated, it's pretty easy to go blind.

I've had little trouble myself with Colorado dryness and my contacts. My biggest nemesis is when my generously applied sunscreen gets into my eyes. That's, I'm guessing the cause of most of my historical eye infections. Keep a cycling cap on at all times, to minimize the sun on my gigantic forehead (and minimize the need to slather sunscreen on it) is been what I've needed to do. And make sure not to get too much sunscreen in my eyebrows.

Topic Name: Prescription glasses Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 05:47:57 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 05:47:57 PM »

Toby...do you do anything else besides spread knowledge on bikepacking.net?

Greg...thanks man. I was trying to keep my cafeteria plan on the mad down low. Seems the cat is out of the bag now so I don't care who knows that tomorrow is country fried steak and chocolate milk.

Tony...I agree...contacts seem like they would be painful with the dry conditions and I think that route is tough enough.

Artiste...I love that you referred to your forehead as gigantic but I could not help but think of having to squat behind a tree to see a man about a horse (not sure where that phrase comes from...any ideas Toby?) and then have the wind blow a particle into an eye only to be faced with the tough decision of either ignoring the irritating flake of dirt or run the risk of removing said contact with potential poop particles about the fingers. A difficult decision indeed.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I had completely forgotten about the style that jlaudin posted. I'm very OCD and that would actually mean cleaning 2 sets of lenses. I'd never get any riding done. I'm gonna check out a set of Gas Can frames or similar and see if I could deal with them all day/night.

Or.....maybe I'll just adopt a whole new style and ride like a bat. Don't be surprised to see me (squinting) and then screaming, "PING!!!!!" and hoping that I can interpret the waves as they come back my way.

Topic Name: Prescription glasses Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 09:44:55 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 09:44:55 PM »

Toby...do you do anything else besides spread knowledge on bikepacking.net?
Yes. Sorry if I post too often, maybe I'll take a break...

"Done"

Topic Name: Prescription glasses Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 05:32:30 AM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 05:32:30 AM »

Artiste...I love that you referred to your forehead as gigantic but I could not help but think of having to squat behind a tree to see a man about a horse (not sure where that phrase comes from...any ideas Toby?)

Tom Waits, Nighthawks at the Diner? (the record, that is). Although, that's about a dog...

and then have the wind blow a particle into an eye only to be faced with the tough decision of either ignoring the irritating flake of dirt or run the risk of removing said contact with potential poop particles about the fingers. A difficult decision indeed.

To be honest? I'd only be in that position in, ahem, emergencies - just because I'm not sure I'd have the right equipment to do that up, properly, when I'm done - no shovel and I don't know I'd pack that back in with a baggy to the nearest dropoff point. 

I think I'd do my best to deal with the eye pain, finish my biz and then deal with the eye. Perhaps bring along some hand cleaner - one of those little bottles you can put on keychains or something. Knowing me, I'd probably just use, you know, my mouth. Most of the infections in my eyes are caused by the bacteria on my face, to be honest, that's why the sunscreen getting in my eyes from sweat on my forehead is so problematic.

My eyes are probably well and truly disastrous compared to yours. Wearing glasses is just so simply out of the question. Contacts provide much better sight for me, hands down.

Topic Name: Prescription glasses Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 10:09:04 AM
Outsider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 10:09:04 AM »

What about LASIK surgery? I went from -6.5 diopter glasses to perfect vision without glasses a year ago and couldn't be happier.  It as very expensive, though, at least for me.

My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

Topic Name: Prescription glasses Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 05:14:24 PM
DBent

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 05:14:24 PM »

I personally think Oakley does the best prescription glasses/sunglasses on the market.  I have used many other brands but have always had distortion somewhere in the lenses.  Oakley's  have never disappointed me they are clear all over the lenses.  I have the flak jackets( interchangeable lenses )an monster dogs ( I have had for 5 years)

Topic Name: Prescription glasses Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 01:52:40 AM
cjsbike

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 01:52:40 AM »

10 years ago I switched to RX glasses for my riding.  Contacts were not cutting it in all conditions. 

I started out with Oakley E-Wire RX glasses for all my riding and casual wear.  Then I changed up and went with Rudy Project Ekynox sunglasses with a RX insert for a few years.  The Rudy set up worked for a couple of years (Heavy) then Oakley released its Jawbone and I jumped on a promotional deal through my eye doctor.  I had a set of lenses made for my Jawbones and I am very happy with them.  I use a anti-reflective coating with a slight smoke and vermilion tint so I can wear them night and day on the bike.  On casual basis I use Oakley Chop Tops, which I am very happy with. 

After three years in the Top Chops I switch out (New RX update) to the Oakley Currency.  I am very impressed with the Currency for bike packing, I leave the Jawbones at home most of the time because the Currency is versatile for night and day.  My wife hates my new Currency, that means I made the right choice for glasses!  Ha!  I like being a geek, or I am one!

-Chad

Bunker Hill Bikes

Topic Name: Prescription glasses Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 09:38:13 AM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 09:38:13 AM »

There's a shop in Boulder called Tom's Sportique Eyewear that can make custom lenses for virtually any sunglasses frame that wraps entirely around the lens for somewhere in the neighborhood of $150. They've made a couple pairs for my Rudy Project Ekynox SX frames, and they've been fantastic. They can also adjust the tinting a after the lenses have been made to lighten or darken the lens to precisely the level you desire. I'm not sure if there are other shops around that can do this, but it provides a nice alternative option to the $400 Oakley RX models.

Topic Name: Prescription glasses Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 07:16:59 PM
DBent

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 07:16:59 PM »

Hey Kurt there are several other companies that do this but with sunglasses that have an S6 curve.  I have always had distortion.  I have used two companies in Minnesota and a couple in Dallas don't remember their names but I was not impressed with them.  Good to hear about the company in Boulder.  I will try them for my next prescriptions.

Derek

Topic Name: Prescription glasses Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 08:10:07 AM
tartosuc

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 08:10:07 AM »

HI,
I've discover the stickon lenses lately and i love it!
I'was in a situation where i was always the leader in our group of riders, reading the maps and GPS. I did not want to spend big$$ on sunglasses that will have to be replaced in 1 year or 2 after my precription changes again, and contacts just dont work with me.

The lens stick to any glasses and are cheap. they are like the removable stickers you put in car windows. That way you can convert any of your sunglasses into prescription glasses. for once in 2 years i can now read my GPS correctly

I'm not sure they have what would fit you prescription but they do fit for me. i'm +3 for reading and +_1.75 to see far.
right now i've installed +3 only and plan on using the 1.75 higher in the glasses.

check it out it works!

http://www.stickonlenses.net/servlet/the-OPTX-20-fdsh-20/Categories
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: