Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Retroshift on: March 06, 2013, 11:33:55 PM
kato

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2013, 11:33:55 PM »

Wondering if anyone here has or has used the Retroshift shifting/braking system.  http://retroshift.com/
I'm specifically curious about long term comfort of the hood position and shifting.  Do the shifters get in the way of a comfortable hood position?  Do the shifters cause any angst while riding?  Do you feel the shifters are in a better position than bar end shifters?
Bar end shifters have gotten me through some great/challenging rides but the cable routing is cramping my options for bar mounted bags.  It looks to me like I might get a bit cleaner line for mounting a Revelate Harness style bag with the Retroshift.

It's not how far you go, it's how go you far.

http://faroutwanderings.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Retroshift Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 12:26:06 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 12:26:06 AM »

LHS side would be a good solution to run a triple with SRAM road.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Retroshift Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:23:06 AM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:23:06 AM »

You can also just run your bar-end shift cables under the bar wrap and pop it out the same as brake cable.  Just make sure to use good quality cable and housing, and you are golden.  This is how I route the bar-end cables on my Fargo (9 speed), and it has worked great.

Topic Name: Retroshift Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:37:54 AM
Bluechip

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:37:54 AM »

I've got my bar end cables like the above and it's been working just fine.  If I abandon the bar ends and go with brifters it will be because I am not that comfortable on the hoods of the Cane Creek levers.  

Topic Name: Retroshift Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:55:39 AM
kato

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:55:39 AM »

You can also just run your bar-end shift cables under the bar wrap and pop it out the same as brake cable.
Thanks!  Read this reply and had one of those "why didn't I think of that already" moments.  Gonna give it a go on my current Fargo.  Looks like there are at least of few of you doing this with success.  Will make mounting a bag up there much easier.

I still do wonder if anyone here has tried the Retroshift.  I've seen some positive reviews of them but find the forum here to have some great real world advice.
I'm in the process of building a new Fargo for a 2014 TD start.  I might throw on some of these Retroshifts just to try them out as I do spend a lot of time on my hoods.  Never really had a problem shifting with bar ends but it is nice to keep both hands on the bar when bouncing down certain roads and trails.  Another possible benefit is that my shifter won't take out my top tube in the event of a crash.  My current bar/stem height on my size small Fargo means that if the bar turns fully that the bar end shifter mount will almost certainly destroy my top tube.

It's not how far you go, it's how go you far.

http://faroutwanderings.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Retroshift Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 11:59:02 AM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 11:59:02 AM »

My current bar/stem height on my size small Fargo means that if the bar turns fully that the bar end shifter mount will almost certainly destroy my top tube.
More likely your top tube will destroy your shifter, but I feel the pain; even with my size large Fargo it is an issue.

Topic Name: Retroshift Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 06:18:14 PM
bumbler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 06:18:14 PM »

I also run my bar-end cables under the bar wrap. Works fine.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: