Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Revelate Designs: Difference between Sweet roll and Harness on: November 06, 2013, 07:04:45 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2013, 07:04:45 AM »

Ok, the obvious difference is that one is self contained and one you use a drybag with.  I get that.  What I'm wondering is:
1.  Is the sweet roll as waterproof as using a drybag on the harness?
2.  If I were to get the bigger sweet roll, and not fill it all the way up, does it get floppy? 
3.  Anyone have any pics of their Sweet Rolls filled up? 

Obviously I'm leaning more towards one than the other.  I've been using just an Event dry bag strapped to the bars for years, but it's done worn out and I'm in need of something new.  And...well, I like new toys.  Wink

Topic Name: Revelate Designs: Difference between Sweet roll and Harness Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 12:20:41 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 12:20:41 AM »

Have both. Harness you can REALLY load up with stuff - it's a real workhorse. I've found the sweetroll is not as stiff and supportive as the harness, but they are truly 2 different animals for similar but different purposes.

The mounts for the harness are firm, broad and beefy. The sweetroll is focussed more on speed, lighterweight and convenience.

1. I would guess so, as long as they are maintained, tested before critical use (pre-trip checks)
2. If the load was small enough that the ends rolled up to the stiffener, there might be a bit of movement, but then just cinch it up with the red straps.
3. Ah, no.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Revelate Designs: Difference between Sweet roll and Harness Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 06:27:34 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 06:27:34 AM »

Thanks Area54, you may have changed my mind.  So the harness is mostly limited to the size of drybag used?  Say I just wanted to use an 8L drybag.  I'm guessing that would be a good happy medium?

Topic Name: Revelate Designs: Difference between Sweet roll and Harness Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 01:07:14 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 01:07:14 AM »

For Alaska and Oregon, I used a harness and large pocket. An 18L bag strapped in the harness, my Z-lite in a bag under the straps for the pocket. Pocket full 'o junk.

I used the red hot straps as well, I made up a 2" wide centre strap to support off the stem, to hold the whole lot away from the front tyre.

* P1060776 rz3.jpg (385.49 KB, 1296x972 - viewed 780 times.)

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: