Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Revelate Front Harness Question on: November 06, 2013, 03:17:37 PM
ddelong02

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2013, 03:17:37 PM »

I've been using a Revelate front harness with drybag on my Fargo for the past year without any issues. But I have noticed that cramming the bag between the drops can make shifting a little less accurate. Now I want to move the harness to my Moonlander, on which I've just installed Woodchippers with Sora STI levers. It looks like I'm really going to have to distort the shifting cables to fit a dry bag. Is there a standard way of dealing with this? Rerun longer or shorter cable? Just HTFU and bend the cables? Thanks in advance!

Topic Name: Revelate Front Harness Question Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:56:19 PM
bartspedden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:56:19 PM »

Since I don't have experience with your bars, my recommendation is merely anecdotal, but...

bending/distorting your shifter housing/cables to the point of impacting your shifting seems like you might want to consider swapping out your housing/cables to route them in such a way that there are always smooth arcs in the housing. Sheldon Brown has a very thorough explanation here: http://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html.

Personally I keep my cables a bit longer so that my bar bag can go inside of them or have the cables lay on top of the bag like this:

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm
~ Siddhartha

Topic Name: Revelate Front Harness Question Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 12:11:46 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 12:11:46 AM »

So you have SRAM brifters on your Fargo, with fully hidden cable routing I guess? On the Sora levers you could run a short segment of NOKON outer housing at the lever end, to help route the cable in a tighter bend and get it out of the way (instead of bending regular wired outer housing) I've been able to route most of the gear housing under the bartape using this method, with just a short, functional segment of NOKON running from the lever to under the bartape. No pics of the setup though, was quite a few years ago.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Revelate Front Harness Question Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 06:11:43 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 06:11:43 AM »

loopy cables on my pugsley over the top:

Untitled by mbeganyi, on Flickr

hidden cables with SRAM on the fargo:

fargo cockpit by mbeganyi, on Flickr

i added some SRAM inline adjusters, and when i cabled i did the criss cross underneath the BB / down tube. lets the cables flow better.

IMG_1528 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

FWIW, i think the gen 2 Fargos have poor placement of the cable stops for bikepacking. the bike (like the new ones) should have had full runs, or better placement of shift cable. i've had issues with slop corrupting the shifting (freezing too) under the BB. i've also had issues with cable flex due to the stops being so close to the head tube.

i've had a local frame builder price out adding stops / clips to i can go full housing. will do that someday...

for SORA style brifters with the cable exiting the side, you could run some long loops, or put some nokon or V brake noodles on there to get things out of the way. IMHO i'd go SRAM brifter or go to bar ends / levers. wouldn't want to fight the cable runs with shimano stuff (don't their new ones go back under the bar tape?)

Topic Name: Revelate Front Harness Question Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 01:14:25 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 01:14:25 AM »

Yep, the later shimano is under bartape, but the cable tension is lower and prone to contamination - SRAM is miles ahead with regards to putting up with contamination and higher friction outers than Shimano. I concur about the gen 2 fargo - my ti fargo cable stops are higher on the downtube, preventing cable crossover.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Revelate Front Harness Question Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 04:46:12 PM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 04:46:12 PM »

look at the Retro shift levers. I just put them on my Fargo with Midge bars. Brake lines are hidden and shift lines are just slightly longer than normal. I can post some pics if you are interested.  Harry

Topic Name: Revelate Front Harness Question Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 02:11:56 PM
ddelong02

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 02:11:56 PM »

Thanks for the replies and assistance, everyone!

Topic Name: Revelate Front Harness Question Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 05:47:46 AM
tuckpana

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 05:47:46 AM »

Harry please post your pics, Thanks Gary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Revelate Front Harness Question Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 11:40:01 AM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 11:40:01 AM »

Hop these help. I could put a bag in there,but you probably get the idea. Harry

* image.jpg (313.7 KB, 960x720 - viewed 619 times.)

* image.jpg (277.17 KB, 960x720 - viewed 588 times.)

* image.jpg (301.84 KB, 960x720 - viewed 601 times.)

Topic Name: Revelate Front Harness Question Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 06:40:07 AM
tuckpana

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 06:40:07 AM »

Thanks, Harry

Topic Name: Revelate Front Harness Question Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 02:32:11 AM
james-o

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 02:32:11 AM »

loopy cables on my pugsley over the top:

Untitled by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Why didn't I think of that? Smiley thanks - top tip. I have Jones bars and leave the cables long to tuck the roll in between them and the bar but something like this looks worth trying out.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: