Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Riding from El Paso to Antelope Wells - risky? on: July 27, 2015, 11:25:03 PM
Calshot

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2015, 11:25:03 PM »

Hi all,

Do any TD vets or New Mexico residents have any thoughts on how feasible it is to ride from El Paso to Antelope Wells? Looks like the road parallels the Mexican border - are there any genuine risks to riding so close to the border? I'm asking due to planning a NoBo ride next year and flying in from the UK. El Paso to AW with an overnighter at Columbus seems like a good prologue prior to starting NoBo.

Thanks for any info!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Riding from El Paso to Antelope Wells - risky? Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 07:13:25 AM
robertshinaw

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 07:13:25 AM »

I rode NoBo summer of 2014.

We flew into El Paso and rode due north to Las Cruses then west along interstate 10 to meet the trail just before Separ, NM.

From this conjunction point south to Antelope Wells is a rode ride through the desert. Basically we traded one rode ride for another and I have no regrets about it. Getting to Antelope Wells without a car ride is tricky, especially considering how long you'll be forcing yourself to bike without a food resupply.

There's just not a big incentive to ride to Antelope Wells because all your gaining is a road ride.

Topic Name: Riding from El Paso to Antelope Wells - risky? Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 10:21:56 AM
Calshot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 10:21:56 AM »

Thanks for the info. Did you ride up to Las Cruces and then along I10 specifically to lessen any risks associated with riding along NM 9? Or am I being paranoid - are there any risks....? Just seems that the road ride from El Paso to Columbus, and then on to AW, would be a good way to both acclimatize after a flight and get to the start line.

Topic Name: Riding from El Paso to Antelope Wells - risky? Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 10:26:47 AM
bpeschka

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 10:26:47 AM »

Hi all,

Do any TD vets or New Mexico residents have any thoughts on how feasible it is to ride from El Paso to Antelope Wells? Looks like the road parallels the Mexican border - are there any genuine risks to riding so close to the border? I'm asking due to planning a NoBo ride next year and flying in from the UK. El Paso to AW with an overnighter at Columbus seems like a good prologue prior to starting NoBo.

Thanks for any info!

Riding directly across NM 9 from El Paso to Hachita is 30 miles shorter than via I-10.  (about 130 vs 160 mi).  I'd consider it pretty safe.  It's near the border and various types of smuggling activity but there are probably more Border Patrol out there that other humans.  You may not see them, but they're there.  Mostly, the smugglers avoid any contact.  I would probably make sure I camped in Columbus rather than out in between.  

Columbus has minimal resupply stuff but you can get water and basic groceries.  If you go I-10, you would have Deming as a resupply.  Also along I-10, there's a rest area on both sides of the highway near the continental divide.  The one on the south side is about 5 miles from the exit for Hwy 146 which runs down to Hachita.  From that rest area the frontage road runs over to 146, so you could avoid a little interstate trave.  At Deming, you have the option of dropping South to Columbus and then over on 9 to Hachita.

Topic Name: Riding from El Paso to Antelope Wells - risky? Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 10:38:06 AM
Calshot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 10:38:06 AM »

Thanks Neil, that's very helpful information: appreciated. Well done on your awesome SoBo ride this year and thanks too for the great info on Bikepacker's Magazine.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: