Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Riding the GDMBR in 2014 on: August 11, 2013, 12:20:58 PM
JMW4

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2013, 12:20:58 PM »

Hey, my name's Jared Weber and i loved the film Ride the Divide. Im on a quest, i just walked the entire Appalachian Trail by myself this year in 4 months, 9 day's with hardly any experience beforehand (it takes most people 6-7 months, visit my page for stories & photographs)
www.facebook.com/jared.m.weber

I had originally been planning on walking the Pacific Crest Trail next summer, but decided to go for a different adventure... a thru-ride, rather than another thru-hike. I've been interested in this ride a long... long time, since seeing the film a couple months before my departure for the AT.

So, a friend i finished the Trail with earlier this year and I decided we would ride the divide next summer, starting mid to late june, going Southbound from Canada to Mexico. I have all the gear necessary besides the Bike, as my bike is outdated & not optimal for this ride.

I was hoping you guys had some sources that could point me in the right direction on choosing a bike. I joined bikepacking.net and it's been the best resource i've found so far, as well as other's trip-reports of riding the GDMBR.

Hoping to go as light weight as possible, and complete the journey in under 2 months. So far all i know is a hardtail w/ locking front suspension might be the best choice, but am just not sure. Im really looking to talk to some experienced riders before making a decision based on just internet research.

Thanks a ton, Jared.. an outdoor enthusiast.

Topic Name: Riding the GDMBR in 2014 Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 01:45:44 PM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 01:45:44 PM »

I rode it on a Salsa Fargo, rigid 29er. As an experienced mtb er , I found it perfect. I would look for a 29er with fairly rugged wheels. You want fast rolling tires and probably a triple crankset. It sounds as if you are both young and fit, but there is no substitute for time on the bike to prepare for a trip like this. Nothing will help your legs like riding. Or your butt. The first 500 to 600 miles are tough. Lots of big limbs and you are just figuring out what the ride is all about. That said, it is GREAT! You will see great sites and meet great folks. I am about to depart on the third tour with folks I met on the divide. Enjoy the planning. It's all good. Harry

Topic Name: Riding the GDMBR in 2014 Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 02:57:34 PM
JMW4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 02:57:34 PM »

Nice, I've seen a few other people recommend the Salsa Fargo. I'm only 5'9'' and usually ride a 26inch wheel. Most people have been recommending me a 29er, but with my height i hope it's not too large of a tire for my size. Training is always key beforehand when preparing for a trip like this as i learned on my previous 2000+ mile hike, i trained for months beforehand and cant describe how much it helped, i actually just got done going on a short 24 mile ride in the hills around my house, as i do everyday.

I'll check the bike out, anybody else have any suggestions on good bike's specifically for the GDMBR?

Thanks Harry, much appreciated. Oh and, if anybody needs a partner, im down to ride. Wink

Topic Name: Riding the GDMBR in 2014 Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 04:06:34 PM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 04:06:34 PM »

I'm 5'9" tall and ride nothing but 29 ers. I have 4 in the garage now. My wife is 5'4" tall and has 2. You will fit fine. A Salsa El Mariachi is also a good bike. Harry

Topic Name: Riding the GDMBR in 2014 Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 02:25:31 PM
JMW4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 02:25:31 PM »

What about a front suspension? In the video it looks as if some people are riding a stem, and some people a fork.. is there that big of a difference?

Topic Name: Riding the GDMBR in 2014 Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 01:33:08 AM
james-o

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 01:33:08 AM »

My thoughts from experience - get a bike without suspension and make sure your weight / hands are as far behind the front axle as is comfortable.

The GDMTBR is not really rough enough often enough to risk a suspension fork imo and the washboard will test any sus fork's seals hard. A bigger front tyre and a wider rime that work at 20psi or so and very well padded bars will be ok, as long as your bike isn't putting you in a racer/lean-forward kind of position. ie, better to get comfy without a fork than use one to add comfort to a less-comfy bike.

The Fargo is a good bike to look at, Singular Gryphon is a great bike if you like drop bars, new Salsa El Mariachi looks nice, there's loads of options but rider position and contact point comfort is so important when you're going that far.

Topic Name: Riding the GDMBR in 2014 Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 01:02:55 PM
JMW4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 01:02:55 PM »

Been looking at bike's and dont really want to spend the 2000+ for a brand new bike like the one's recommended here, i love the bike's and i know they are optimum but are there any cheaper options you guys could recommend me for the GDMBR?

I was thinking about just using my old bike and upgrading some parts, its a 2004 Specialized Hardrock in good condition with 26" wheels.

If i can find a bike for 1k or less i would do that too, but dont want to drop the 2500 it costs for a new fargo.

Topic Name: Riding the GDMBR in 2014 Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 05:31:03 PM
hmaddox

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 05:31:03 PM »

I picked up a used Surly Karate Monkey for $400. Add some gears (it's sold as a single speed) and you're ready to roll. Just check your local Craigslist regularly and something will likely come up. If you're more in a hurry you could look on eBay but personally I don't like to deal with the shipping.

I only buy used bikes. It's like buying a car -- why buy a brand new one when a slightly used one will likely be 3/4 to 1/2 the price?

Topic Name: Riding the GDMBR in 2014 Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 02:01:57 PM
aschuhmann

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 02:01:57 PM »

What are everyone's preferences with Carbon fiber vs. aluminum. Do you see alot of Carbon fiber bikes on the Divide trail? I know they are lighter...

Topic Name: Riding the GDMBR in 2014 Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 01:38:03 AM
james-o

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 01:38:03 AM »

A s/h karate Monkey with the right bars and tyres would be a great bike. s/h steel bikes are usually a good bet.
Carbon vs Al - whatever you feel comfortable on. That looks to be steel, ti or carbon for most Divide riders, I think.

Topic Name: Riding the GDMBR in 2014 Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 06:28:21 AM
aschuhmann

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 06:28:21 AM »

Ok, I was just curious if putting bags on a carbon frame wasn't kosher, or if riders have had issues with carbon frames cracking and then not having anyone able to fix it, as can be an issue on long tours. I have a carbon frame myself, but I've never ridden on carbon before and was a little worried if it could sustain a long distance ride as well as other frames. I guess I should stop worrying and enjoy my new ride!

Topic Name: Riding the GDMBR in 2014 Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 06:36:59 AM
james-o

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 06:36:59 AM »

TDR was won on a carbon bike this year.. and my powder-coated steel bike now has no paint under the down tube where the bag straps go. Dunno if that answers anything.. )

Topic Name: Riding the GDMBR in 2014 Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 07:17:39 AM
Jay H

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 07:17:39 AM »

I rode a 29er Salsa ElMar3 from Banff to CO this year. I'm 5'5" and found the larger wheel fine for the ride. It is a little taller than my other 26" wheeled mtbs so I am riding a bit higher than what I would be used to but not terribly so.  My El Mariachi has a Manitou front suspension fork on it with lock out and I found it nice to have on some of the washboard sections. It's not the greatest but it does damp some of the washboards out. 

Jay

Topic Name: Riding the GDMBR in 2014 Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 10:35:50 AM
aschuhmann

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 10:35:50 AM »

Yeah, I just bought a Giant XTC composite 29er hardtail, carbon fiber frame and xo components, and I'm having a little bit of buyers remorse cause it's ALOT more bike and money than I am used to. I'm usually the underdog when it comes to bikes and components, and I can abuse my bikes with abandon b/c I'm not worried about it, but this carbon frame just looks so new, shiny and fragile, I'm worried that I have to change my riding style. But I guess a 29er hardtail isn't meant for abusive trails in general... It's been raining every day since I bought it so I can't take it out and consummate the relationship!

Now I'm worried about the pack rub on the frame damaging it's resale value, as JameO mentioned... What would be some solutions to this? I don't imagine you want that happening to a carbon frame?
-Andrew

Topic Name: Riding the GDMBR in 2014 Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 12:45:10 PM
Jay H

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 12:45:10 PM »

You could use clear packing tape, but taking the tape off would be a problem unless it's made to be removed...

I did not notice any bad scratches in 1700 miles on the great divide on my steel ElMar but sooner or later, I would think it will eventually start to rub, much like the brake cables on the front fork crown..

Jay

Topic Name: Riding the GDMBR in 2014 Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 01:43:43 PM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 01:43:43 PM »

Regarding frame protection...

http://www.amazon.com/ISC-Racerstape-com-Paint-surface-guard/dp/B000TPC7HU

It's a bit pricey but could be well worth it in the long run.

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: Riding the GDMBR in 2014 Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 12:41:54 PM
dave

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 12:41:54 PM »

If you're concerned about your paint, another good option is regular old blue painters tape.  I used it under the straps of a loaded frame bag on hundreds of miles of off-road rides and it held up fine. 

I use a Niner EMD (aluminum) and it's been great.  My previous bike was steel and I've never once missed some magical ride quality of steel.  My Niner does have front suspension, big tires, and ergo grips, which certainly doesn't hurt!

If money is a concern, ride what you've got.  Steel, aluminum, carbon; rigid or front suspension--they all can (and have) finished the Divide.  If you do decide to buy, I second this:

I only buy used bikes. It's like buying a car -- why buy a brand new one when a slightly used one will likely be 3/4 to 1/2 the price?

For comparison, I bought my lightly-used Niner on eBay for 1/3 retail.  Before that, I paid $350 for a lightly-used steel SS 29'er that I resold after two years of hard riding for $300.   If buying a used bike worries you, bribe a pal or bike shop employee with a six-pack to carefully look over a bike for you and make sure it doesn't have any frame cracks or other big problems.  The vast majority of used bikes have nothing seriously wrong with them.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: