Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Salsa Cutthroat vs. Marin Gestalt vs. your idea on: March 13, 2016, 10:24:36 AM
Twaing

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2016, 10:24:36 AM »

Looking for 1 bike that will do 2 things well.  I have ridden the Great Divide route on a 29er hardtail in 2014 & 2015.  I rode the Pacific Coast Highway on a cyclocross bike with panniers in 2013. Both were great bikepacking rides and I want to do parts of both again on the same bike.   Want to be able to switch tires (wheels) for dirt or tarmac and a bike that will perform well on both.  Looking at Salsa Cutthroat and the Marin Gestalt 2 or 3.  Any suggestions/experience with these bikes?  Any other suggestions?  

Topic Name: Salsa Cutthroat vs. Marin Gestalt vs. your idea Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 03:06:54 PM
Twaing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 03:06:54 PM »

Doesn't anybody have any experience with these bikes?  Or any ideas for the kind of bike I am looking for?

Topic Name: Salsa Cutthroat vs. Marin Gestalt vs. your idea Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 05:47:34 PM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 05:47:34 PM »

Well, the Cutthroat is relatively new so not a lot of people have much experience with it. They've only started shipping in the last month or so. I just took delivery of mine this week. It's really damn light. Smiley While it would look a bit weird, I'm already contemplating seeing how it rides with a set of 28c tubeless road tires on it. Seems like it would be a capable road rig set up that way. The Cutthroat can mount a rear rack, and along with a pair of Anything Cages, would give you some extra cargo capacity.

Topic Name: Salsa Cutthroat vs. Marin Gestalt vs. your idea Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 08:44:25 PM
jthops

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 08:44:25 PM »

I have about a month of mixed pavement, dirt hardpack, and loose dirt on a Cutthroat. I love it. It feels comfortable, yet fast on pavement. It feels stable in the dirt. It's taken a little time to get the bars positioned so that i'm comfortable in multiple positions, but I would recommend it for what you are describing in a heartbeat.

Topic Name: Salsa Cutthroat vs. Marin Gestalt vs. your idea Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 10:33:15 AM
Cosmo K

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 10:33:15 AM »

Thought I'd add here.  Got a cutthroat frame and built it up...pretty similar to the top model but with some lighter components (20lbs 3oz currently).  I've ridden it on everything from road, gravel, fire road and singletrack.  It works perfectly on all.  Right now I have 38c trigger pro tires running tubeless.  Getting used to the woodchippers for singletrack took a little getting used to but I can now fly.  I'll be putting on Crossmark 2.25 exo's for the Tour Divide in June. 

One thing about the bike...it's super fast and surprisingly comfortable...even on 38c's.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: