Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Need a new light system-- what're you using? on: May 18, 2013, 09:43:46 PM
Couloirman

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2013, 09:43:46 PM »

I need a new light system for two trips I'm taking next month-- the C&O to Great Allegheny Passage, and the CTR. I am looking for a AA compatible handlebar light and was set to buy the new Fenix BT20 until I heard about the quality control issues, and now I am not sure what to get.

What AA compatible handlebar light are you using for long bikepacking trips?

Topic Name: Need a new light system-- what're you using? Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 02:11:12 PM
FatCloud

Cross check at Briones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 02:11:12 PM »

Does it have to be a handlebar light? I find that having a headlamp helps solve many purposes and is even possible to strap to your front bar/bag if you get creative.

Topic Name: Need a new light system-- what're you using? Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 04:00:35 AM
Mauro_N

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 04:00:35 AM »

I'm am also in the same position as yourself, with the TD just a few weeks away. There is the Exposure Spark Mk3 Bike Light, but it runs on Cr 123 batteries. Does any one know if the Cr123 batteries are common in the gas stations and convenience stores for resupply?

Topic Name: Need a new light system-- what're you using? Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 05:05:25 PM
hmaddox

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 05:05:25 PM »

I doubt you'll find those in your typical gas station quick-stop, but chain drug stores like Walgreen's usually have a decent selection of batteries. Those CR123s look pretty small...I'd imagine you could pack several sets and probably never notice the weight difference.

Topic Name: Need a new light system-- what're you using? Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:29:55 AM
bncrshr77

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:29:55 AM »

These don't exactly match your criteria and they are expensive but I use the Lupine Piko light for all my rides. I have the older 500 lumen version.  They will run for 50 hours on the low setting with a 7.4v 2600mah battery.  The batteries weigh next to nothing so I carry a few spares.  I have no problems riding on the low setting so they work great for me and I like the ability to have the 500 lumens if I think I need it. I do carry a headlamp and a fenix ld20 for backup if I run out of juice.  I'm also not a weight weenie as you can tell.

Topic Name: Need a new light system-- what're you using? Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 10:19:32 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 10:19:32 PM »

AAA not AA and headlamp not flashlight but I used the Black Diamond Storm on the Colorado Trail last year. It was good although when it starts to fade it's pretty useless.

I would also like to move to AA lighting for battery compatibility ease. I bought a fenix ld22 to experiment with this year. No usage yet. If it performs well I could see running 2 and being set. Now if only the Spot took AA's I'd be on one battery type for my trips.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Need a new light system-- what're you using? Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 09:14:06 PM
cforsand

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 09:14:06 PM »

These don't exactly match your criteria and they are expensive but I use the Lupine Piko light for all my rides. I have the older 500 lumen version.  They will run for 50 hours on the low setting with a 7.4v 2600mah battery.  The batteries weigh next to nothing so I carry a few spares.  I have no problems riding on the low setting so they work great for me and I like the ability to have the 500 lumens if I think I need it. I do carry a headlamp and a fenix ld20 for backup if I run out of juice.  I'm also not a weight weenie as you can tell.

I second the choice of Lupine Lights. I have had the Lupine Pico 6 on my handlebar and the battery hidden under my front bar revelate pack.  Great combination!.  The light + battery is quite expensive but it gives out a ton of light and lasts quite a long time. Have only done one two day overnite trip with it so far though.

Topic Name: Need a new light system-- what're you using? Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 05:40:02 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 05:40:02 AM »

Went with the Max Morris set up. Black Diamond Storm on the helmet Icon on the bars. Picked them up at REI this weekend at the Memorial Day sale. Also picked up 2 velcro straps to mount them with. Getting the Icon on the stem took a little trial and error but seems fine. I like that it is centered and that it doesn't take up space on the actual bar. 300 lumen combined with really well focused beams.

My wife found the Fenix LD 22 on Steep and Cheap at about the same time. At first I was jealous, until I saw the beam. I think the optics are better on the Black Diamonds. 

Topic Name: Need a new light system-- what're you using? Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 03:38:25 PM
HOser

Too busy looking good

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 03:38:25 PM »

Great info here, thanks everyone.

For the Black Diamond Storm users, can you describe how you've mounted this light to your handlebar and/or helmet?  It appears the included bracket only works with the included elastic strap.

Topic Name: Need a new light system-- what're you using? Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 04:42:52 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 04:42:52 PM »

They're just meant to be headlamps for a climbing helmet or just on your head. I picked up the $3 velcro straps at REI the day I bought the lights. If you get them first figure out how to get the elastic bands off. Then it's just a matter of figuring out how to make the strap work around the bars stem area and having the webbing so that the velcro goes into the buckle and then back on itself to meat the fuzzy section. It all comes together just right so that your tightening it down on the top of the stem. I start with the buckle on the upper end of the ride side slot. I use the Icon on the bars. The batteries I have been putting in my Jandd bar bag.

I've only done it 4 times now this last went the quickest, it's not hard to figure out.

The one on the helmet is done with the other strap from the pair and then thru the wholes in the helmet so as to give the best angle for the beam. The Storm is the one with the batteries self contained. The Storm is the lighter of the two to have on your helmet as well.

Haven't used them that much yet but they seem to be more the adequate for bikepacking. The Storm on the helmet beams out pretty far so I can see far where I am looking and the Icon is bright enough to pick out the lines at a reasonable speed.

For anything running on AA or AAA batts this is the best light I've had. By getting the Icon on sale they came in at a reasonable price as well.  

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: