Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Sleeping pad/Thermarest for Hennessy Hammock on: March 26, 2012, 05:18:11 AM
kkjellquist

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2012, 05:18:11 AM »

Did my first overnight w. my Hennessy Expedetion and LOVED the comfort of sleeping in a hammock.  I did however wake up because of the cold!  As could be expected, any part of my body on the bottom and compessing my bag got cold quickly.  I need some insulation!

Anyone use the bubble pad from Hennessy?
http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/products/radiant_double_bubble_pad/

Thermarest would be more versatile and offer padding for the ground in the rare cases when I can't hang the hammock.

Would love to hear some thoughts & opinions from other Hennessy users.  Tx!!

Topic Name: Sleeping pad/Thermarest for Hennessy Hammock Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 09:19:57 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 09:19:57 AM »

have not used the bubble pad. i have used the 1/4" pad from gossamer gear... works great.

http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/1-4-wide.html

cut it down. it comes really wide.
their 3/8" pad would be good for cold cold nights.

i have used my big agnes air core in mine, but it made the hammock pretty claustrophobic, pushing my near the netting.

i've been down into the 30s in mine with a thermarest pad.
i'd be looking at an under quilt system.
http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

Topic Name: Sleeping pad/Thermarest for Hennessy Hammock Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:32:40 AM
kkjellquist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:32:40 AM »

Thanks...I'm going to start with the cheapest option (car sunshade) and move up from there. The Gossamer pad will probably be my second option.

Topic Name: Sleeping pad/Thermarest for Hennessy Hammock Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 09:15:13 PM
Tommi

Always a little farther.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 09:15:13 PM »

I use a ridge rest foam pad, but I am going to experiment with the car sunshade thingy this summer.  I too have a Hennessy Expedition and it is a god send.

Topic Name: Sleeping pad/Thermarest for Hennessy Hammock Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 09:23:12 AM
Colorado Cool Breeze

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 09:23:12 AM »

If it's really cold try a blue Wally World pad with a windshield sunshade on top.

Topic Name: Sleeping pad/Thermarest for Hennessy Hammock Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:05:34 PM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:05:34 PM »

I've had good luck with the cheap sunshade when sleeping on the ground. No reason to think that it won't work well in the hammock, as long as you can stay on top of it. It's also nice and light. Smiley

Topic Name: Sleeping pad/Thermarest for Hennessy Hammock Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 08:34:15 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 08:34:15 PM »

I loved my hammock and really wanted to figure out a way to make it work. I live at 9,000 and I am a warm sleeper but I just couldn't get warm in mine. I tried a Gossamer pad, sun shade and can't recall what else. I finally pulled the plug on a down underquilt from Jacks R Better. It was really nice but, in the end, I ditched it all for a bivy. I can sleep on the ground with no pad in a 45 bag and be warmer than I was in my hammock with the underquilt. Hope you get it sorted. It sure was comfy and I laughed when it rained.   

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: