Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Small Waterproof Handlebar Bags for Jones Loop on: December 13, 2016, 01:11:38 PM
FoafInTexas

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2016, 01:11:38 PM »

Hi All,

I wanted to ask if anyone has used a couple of small bags separately. Both of these are made to work with big roll type bags, but can be used separately. This sounds good, as you could use them on daily trips but still use them on longer trips that would include a roll type bag.

Ortlieb Accessory Pack Handlebar Bag ($75) 100% waterproof

Revelate Pocket Bag ($47) strongly water resistant

It shows the Ortlieb bag inside the Jones Loop bars on the Jones Bikes page. It fits in the loop, but might interfere with hand positions.

I also wondered about mounting either of these on the front of the Jones Loops, but I assume it will sway hanging off the front, but might be fine. Both are praised for being easy to take on and off to carry with you.

The other option is a dedicated separate daily bag that probably couldn't be used with a roll. I have also looked at the "in the loop" bags, like the Banana Hammock. That one looks nice, and I am told you can get it deeper than than the standard 3". However, these don't look like they would be as useful when combined with a roll type pack. There is a nice sized one from BikeBagDude in Australia, but I assume it would be very expensive with shipping. The Jones branded one is very small, but also insulated, and costs $100. Really too small for me.

There are lots and lots of options out there, but not as many that are waterproof. I am looking for something large enough to hold an iPhone Plus, a wallet, and a couple glasses cases. I currently use a small nylon bag that is very handy for the above, but not at all water resistant. I've looked at a couple stem bags, like the Alpkit Stem Cell Dry bag and Bedrock Tapeats. Both look very nice, but seem a little small for the phone.

I suppose a non waterproof bag with a dry bag or even a ziplock bag is a cheaper option, but waterproof would be nice. It is a pain taking the bag off and getting everything out to dry. Thanks for any thoughts or experiences!

Topic Name: Small Waterproof Handlebar Bags for Jones Loop Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 11:35:03 PM
SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 11:35:03 PM »

Sounds like you have some good leads.  I had a handlebar bag this summer that wasn't advertised as waterproof, but it pretty much fit the bill, and when I was really worried about it due to the weather, I backed it up with a ziplock.  I used a Jones bar and didn't have any Jones specific gear: a Revelate sweet roll with a basic handlebar bag over the sweet roll made by Broad fork bags that looks pretty much like the Revelate one you mentioned.  The BF bag never interfered with hand positions once I played with the clips, as there are a couple ways you can clip them on.  It's darn nice to carry things like phones in a gas tank- same deal, fairly waterproof, better with ziplock backup in real rain, and incredibly accessible.  One other thing I used cos it was a long trip and my Pika was small, was a dry bag secured atop the pika.  This worked great. I just found a pic with some of these systems (the camo bag is the "handlebar bag/ BF bag I mention above).  Good luck!   
I couldn't post pic- too big but there are a bunch on this blog post with the bags and you can click on them to see closer.  Not trying to self-promote!
http://southwestbackcountry.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-great-divide-northbound-la-manga.html

Topic Name: Small Waterproof Handlebar Bags for Jones Loop Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 07:19:49 PM
Meadowbolic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 07:19:49 PM »

+1 on using a "weather resistant" bag. I like the 1L dry bag from sea to summit and just stuff that guy with my electronics, then place that in whatever bag i have up on my bars. Some idea with the zip lock but more robust.

Cheers,
Greg

ROCKGEIST - Bikepack USA
www.rockgeist.com
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: