Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Spot GPS Auto-renewal/cancellation Policy on: August 21, 2016, 01:52:52 PM
nepa

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2016, 01:52:52 PM »

I would be interested to know folks opinion on Spot's auto-renewal and cancellation policy.  After just receiving my credit card bill I have found that my Spot account was automatically renewed for another year.  I went to my Spot account page to make sure I could turn off auto-renewal, but there is no option to do that.  I called the Spot folks and they said that they do not allow for the selection of an annual account without auto-renewal, and if I would like to stop auto-renewal that I have to either call or email them before the auto-renewal date. (Of course no refunds once the auto-renewal takes place, and they do not send out a notice to  inform the customer that their account is ready to auto-renew.)

Personally, I think it is a poor business practice that is designed to rip people off by hoping they will forget to cancel their account ahead of time.  Unfortunately for me, this was the second time that this has happened as I had a Spot account several years ago when I rode across Labrador, then also last year for a ride on the Colorado Trail.  So they got my money for another year even though I have no need for it.

Any thoughts?

Topic Name: Spot GPS Auto-renewal/cancellation Policy Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 08:46:42 PM
Aushiker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 08:46:42 PM »

Is there a PayPal option? If there is I find it easy to sign-up, pay the annual fee and then go to PayPal and cancel the renewal. Mind you not going to help you now.

Topic Name: Spot GPS Auto-renewal/cancellation Policy Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 06:41:53 AM
nepa

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 06:41:53 AM »

Nice idea, but not an option.  Credit card only.  I did change my stored card info to a card that won't work and has an expiration date before the renewal comes up next year.

I would not mind so much if they sent out an email prior to the auto-renewal that informed you the subscription date is coming up and you will be auto-renewed if we do not hear from you, and perhaps a little sentence that said something like "We appreciate your continued business and look forward to continuing to provide our service to you in the future".  However, they seem to make it very difficult, and customer service only justifies their way of doing business without any real concern for their customers (in my opinion).

Now that there are other options, such as DeLorme, I will be changing to another service.  (Thanks for letting me gripe)

Topic Name: Spot GPS Auto-renewal/cancellation Policy Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 10:59:08 AM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 10:59:08 AM »

I've also been bitten by this, after my credit card was changed and the card they had on file was invalid. When I went to renew, my renewal year was backdated to the time the autorenew should have kicked in, months before. The SPOT was also activated and worked, without my knowledge, even though the bill wasn't paid to renew it. 

It's a real head scratcher for sure and not very customer friendly.

Topic Name: Spot GPS Auto-renewal/cancellation Policy Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 03:53:53 PM
Spec44

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 03:53:53 PM »

It seems like they would be diligent about providing notice.  I can sure understand, though, that in the business they are in that they would have decided at some point to not leave it to chance that some soul is on a 3 month tour in the middle of nowhere, and unaware that their possibly lifesaving device was auto shut-off for failure to pay the bill.

Topic Name: Spot GPS Auto-renewal/cancellation Policy Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 01:34:12 PM
flanagaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 01:34:12 PM »

Just read this and I too have fallen foul of the auto renewal :-( with no major trips planned I was planning on just letting my licence elapse.  That is very rubbish that it just keeps rolling.

Topic Name: Spot GPS Auto-renewal/cancellation Policy Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 04:59:02 PM
the tortoise

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 04:59:02 PM »

Thankfully when mine was up for renewal my card on file had expired!
I don't like this business practice either. My spot tracker is now a paper weight! I agree they should send out a renewal message either by text or e-mail. Pissing off your customers is a good way for them to look elsewhere

For the one or two times a year that I need it, I will just rent one from trackleaders.

Both me and my wife like to keep track of each other when we are out on solo rides for safety sakes. We now use an app called life360 which works pretty well and is free. Since we always carry our phones with us it is one less thing to worry about batteries, bringing along and activating. Also life360 is much more user friendly. It does require a cell signal to work but generally that is not an issue.

As time goes by and more apps and other tracker systems are offered I think Spot will rue the day they decided on that auto renewal system.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: