Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Staying Warm? on: April 15, 2016, 04:39:49 PM
swooper6

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2016, 04:39:49 PM »

Hi Everyone!
Okay this is actually my first post, just found this site the other day and it's pretty cool. Not many people bike pack from my home town and usually only talk to people that do when we actually head out on trips. I've been bike packing with my brother and best friend for a few years now and we all love it, definitely our number 1 hobby. Now, I know most people seem to set up around an MTB rig but we are die hard road cycles. Biggest trip we have done so far was 1200km in 8 days around Georgian Bay, in which we accomplished in August last year. We still do our share of dirt roads and hate them but we like long distance and speed so don't MTB.  Weight is our number 1 concern lol and try to keep things down as much as we can. Just wondering what you guys do to keep warm at night. Usually we just deal with the cold and try and live through it but some nights get so bad I'm looking for a light and warm option. We used SOL survival bags for emergency on our last trip last year which are uncomfortable, but work until moisture sets in...
Any ideas would be great! Even if you don't have one and just wanna talk about rigs and stuff thats cool too! We've yet to meet anyone that does bike packing on a road bike but I'm sure I'll find someone on this site.
Thanks All!

-David

Topic Name: Staying Warm? Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 12:21:42 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 12:21:42 PM »

Hey, David,

Ultralight down bags are popular and many options exist. Some are ridiculously light and compress to the size of a grapefruit. I'm down with suffering a little to stay light, but for multi-day affairs it's worth an extra 1-2 lbs to not shiver through the night. At a point the weight weenie MO has diminishing returns.

Obviously you can get more from any setup by setting camp in a sheltered, lower-elevation spot, as well as using spare clothes as ground insulation or wearing. Ground insulation can be key. I use a foam pad, cut to shape, under my upper body (shoulders through hips). A stove or small fire to make hot water can be a boon when core temp drops. Eating well can help.

Congrats on getting fired up on bikepacking!

Topic Name: Staying Warm? Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 12:07:35 PM
swooper6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 12:07:35 PM »

We tried lightweight blankets (stuck on tip of my tongue for the name or i would post a link) but they ended up just getting wet from condensation and made us colder in the morning. Still though, helped at night. Maybe we can revisit a new idea for those with a mesh tent to reduce condensation.

Topic Name: Staying Warm? Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 02:03:26 PM
tonymason

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 02:03:26 PM »

David,
I bikepack on both my mt bike and road bike. Love the light weight set up.
Down sleeping bag or quilt is the way to go to stay warm. I use a tarp if its going to rain and an inflatable mattress R2 or better for the ground. A warm change of clothes and a hat will keep you comfortable with temps into the 20's.
Tony

Topic Name: Staying Warm? Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 04:42:50 PM
fxpose

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 04:42:50 PM »

I sometimes sleep with a hot water bottle.    I place my 40oz Klean Kanteen bottle over the stove to warm the water.   Then put the bottle in a wool sock and sleep with it.   

Topic Name: Staying Warm? Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 04:30:15 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 04:30:15 AM »

Moisture is almost always a hurdle that needs to be overcome. Lightweight usually means down and with the exception of some down that is treated, wet down loses it's insulating properties.

A lot of people use bivvy bags to keep the weight down but there are some ultra light tents available as well. Both can still have moisture issues and offer varying protection from the rain. A lot of condensation/dew/etc... often means drying out your gear when the day warms up.

A sleeping pad really is a must if it is going to be very cold outside. Some are very minimal and don't weigh much at all.

It all boils down to looking at options and deciding what is most important. Myself, I carry a bit heavier tent and lower rated sleeping bag. I have decided that the weight penalty is worth being able to stay dry and warm in the event of rain or a cold snap.

Topic Name: Staying Warm? Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 01:19:05 PM
Wandering by Bicycle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 01:19:05 PM »

If you're road biking, what about staying under pavilions and gazebos in towns to stay warm and dry. My bikepacking tends to have less pavement, but I did ride back to Vermont from Montana after finishing the GDMBR last year and most nights I had some sort of shelter over me. I'm not saying it was always legal, but it kept the condensation off. Also, because the air is dryer under the shelter it also feels a little warmer. In larger towns and cities police often patrol the parks, so stealthiness is a must, but in most smaller towns no one bats an eye (still be stealth). Yes, it does put you a little closer to traveling homeless then bikepacker, but I've never minded that and it may get you a free breakfast - it happened to me.

Hobo Camping by John Fontanilles, on Flickr

- Safe Travels
Wandering by Bicycle
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: