Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Stem length with Jones Bars on: February 21, 2016, 03:50:38 AM
Get Mounted

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2016, 03:50:38 AM »

Hi all,

I've built up a bikepacking rig for TD2016 with Jones loop bars. I'm just wondering what range of stem lengths people are using?

Currently I've got a 50mm stem to get a more upright position, but I'm thinking of moving up to maybe a 60 or 70mm length to get a little bit more forward. I understand many people run slightly shorter stems so the farthest hand positions are still available, but (being used to shorter stems with my full susser trail bikes) I'm wondering where a 60mm length will fit in the Loop bar user bell curve?

Cheers.

Topic Name: Stem length with Jones Bars Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 10:12:32 PM
tex92

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 10:12:32 PM »

Hi all,

I've built up a bikepacking rig for TD2016 with Jones loop bars. I'm just wondering what range of stem lengths people are using?

Currently I've got a 50mm stem to get a more upright position, but I'm thinking of moving up to maybe a 60 or 70mm length to get a little bit more forward. I understand many people run slightly shorter stems so the farthest hand positions are still available, but (being used to shorter stems with my full susser trail bikes) I'm wondering where a 60mm length will fit in the Loop bar user bell curve?

Cheers.
Perhaps get a pro bike fitting and see what length they suggest?

Topic Name: Stem length with Jones Bars Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 02:36:15 AM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 02:36:15 AM »

Jeff Jones recommends a short stem, so it seems sensible to try it first with the one you already have.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: Stem length with Jones Bars Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 01:43:54 AM
Kiwi Pete

aka: Kiwi Pete's Adventures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 01:43:54 AM »

Hi
So Jeff has over the last week updated this website with F.A.Q
so here is the low down
Q:  Can I put Jones H-Bars on any bike?
A:  You bet!  While the H-Bars are an integral part of the design of all of the models of Jones bikes, they can work wonders for almost any bike on the planet!  Especially if you keep in mind our fit ideal (you want your weight centered on your feet, so the bars need to be high enough and far enough back that you don’t need to lean forward to reach them, and the saddle needs to be far enough back that it balances your weight over your feet), you’ll be able to transform an otherwise uncomfortable bike into something fun and enjoyable to ride.  The biggest obstacle we find when helping riders set up their bikes with H-Bars, is a combination of low stem height and long top tube.  Because of this, we commonly end up recommending stems that are 40 or 50mm shorter than what they have been using.  This seems extreme, but most people have their saddles and bars too far forward, so first off we want to move them back to center them on the bike.  After that, we need to consider the range of positions on the H-Bar, and adjust the stem length to make it easy to get to all of them.  Sometimes it’s not possible, but in pretty much every case, the result is a handlebar setup that’s so much more comfortable than what the riders were used to that it changes the way they think about riding bikes.  Just make sure to bring the H-Bars back toward you enough!  A good litmus test with the 710mm version, is that when you have your hands in the position closest to the ends of the bar, you want to be sitting fully upright, with no weight on your hands.  The rest of the positions should be readily accessible if that’s the case.

http://www.jonesbikes.com/f-a-q/

Have fun adjusting you setup

I was running a 90mm changed to a 60mm changed to a -10 degree 70mm and tonight changed to a 40mm!

Kiwi Pete
Riding a Jones Plus

In New Zealand  glasses2

Topic Name: Stem length with Jones Bars Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 06:22:24 AM
BillL135

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 06:22:24 AM »

With the more upright position did you change your saddle?  Wider?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 07:26:13 AM by BillL135 » Logged

Topic Name: Stem length with Jones Bars Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 12:26:17 AM
Kiwi Pete

aka: Kiwi Pete's Adventures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 12:26:17 AM »

With the more upright position did you change your saddle?  Wider?

Hi No all the same and the fit is working out good so far
:-)

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: