Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tent for two? on: December 09, 2011, 04:09:14 PM
offroute

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2011, 04:09:14 PM »

Hi, denizens,

Any recos for a solution for us is greatly appreciated...

I'm 5-11, she's 5-3. Primary use is the US GDMBR N to S. We've spent many nights in an I-Tent and like the config, though it is a tad cramped for me height-wise. I'm thinking we might be able to lighten up and still have good overnight storm pro.

I'm not really into building shelters for this trip, and definitely want something storm- and wind-proof for somebody's inability to handle lots of cold.

TIA!

Mike

Topic Name: Tent for two? Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 05:02:26 PM
MilesGear

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 05:02:26 PM »

I'm 6'2" and almost every lightweight tent is too short.
I really like the REI Half Dome 2 Plus at $199
http://www.rei.com/product/794296/rei-half-dome-2-plus-tent
I know it not real light, but it's got room and won't bust the bank.

Dave

Topic Name: Tent for two? Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:50:07 PM
tonymason

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:50:07 PM »

Mike,
I am 6 ft. My daughter is 5'6. My dog is 4'7. We use the Golite Shangrila 3. Rain and wind but not bug proof. Weighs just over 2 pounds if you ditch the adjustable pole they give you for a 5 foot section of typical aluminum tent pole.
Tony

Topic Name: Tent for two? Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 12:53:58 PM
Sean Allan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 12:53:58 PM »

This is what I take if the wife is joining me. Plenty of room, very light, packs down to almost nothing. We've done some rain storms in it, no experience with real strong wind although I think it would be fine.

http://www.tarptent.com/squall2.html

Topic Name: Tent for two? Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 08:00:36 PM
hikernks

Got Gravel?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 08:00:36 PM »

Ohh man, you missed the REI Half Dome 2 on sale Black Friday for $119!  You might check out REI's site, and their sale page in case it comes up again.  Great tent!

"Man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads." - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

http://dingo41.wordpress.com

Topic Name: Tent for two? Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 12:55:18 AM
boddunn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 12:55:18 AM »

+1 on Tarptent tents; I'm almost 6 foot and my girlfriend is 5'10". We've got a Double Rainbow which stood up to some nasty storms in the Outer Hebrides in Scotland last year, only weighs a kilo too. The ventilation is quite good for preventing condensation so that someone might need a lightweight bivy bag to keep the draughts out.
 It's definitely worth making your significant other comfortable and relaxed on trips, makes for a much better experience all round I find.

Topic Name: Tent for two? Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 10:06:14 AM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 10:06:14 AM »

I really appreciate the suggestions!

The I-Tent's packed weight is ±3.5 lbs, but ours probably has another half pound of SeamGrip in it (between seam sealing and repairing marmot damage). Still not ridiculously heavy considering the protection, but yea, a bomber 4S mountain tent for bikepacking is overkill.

I'm pretty much set on bug pro. We are anti-deet and prefer to not use any bug repellent. I spent four days this summer in OR in the thickest skeets I've seen, and not having a way to totally close out my little friends would have changed the face of my ride to borderline un-fun. That was not the first time, either. I'd like to be able to camp near water sources without much concern about skeets. If it were a shorter ride I'd be willing to wing it more WRT bugs, but we''ll be living in it for weeks, including possible rest days, so a little weight penalty for additional contentment while recharging our minds and bodies would be worth it (he says from the comfort of home...).

Thanks again for the great options, you guys.

Mike

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: