Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tent help: Light Backpackers Advice Needed Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 12:34:14 PM
macr237

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 12:34:14 PM »

macr237:  The Big Sky look to be nice products.  It does really bug me that the smaller manufacturers want to piecemeal it out in terms of both cost and weight.  The Rev 1 looks to be $370 complete and 2 lbs 10 oz.  The BA Seedhouse is the same weight and can be found for over $100 less.  I do think the exoskeleton is a superior arrangement in theory, but I haven't used one.  I'm not often forced to set-up in the rain but that could be a big plus for those who are.

The exoskeleton is what won me over. I have other tents, but they have tent pole tubes (for want of a better description) and they can be annoying to get the poles through, especially when wet.

Topic Name: Tent help: Light Backpackers Advice Needed Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 01:10:57 PM
SVO

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 01:10:57 PM »

Completely agree.  Called sleeves.  My current 1-person tent has them and it is fussy to get up.  Most good tents these days have clips with external fly, better than sleeves, but maybe not as good as exoskeleton type.

Topic Name: Tent help: Light Backpackers Advice Needed Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 05:56:35 PM
pedalad

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 05:56:35 PM »

hey mac - hope the revolution is treating you well. keep us posted on your experience with big sky international. i really liked a few of their models, i just couldn't pull the trigger. there isn't much out there about them and it would be beneficial to hear what you think.

i ended up grabbing a lynx pass 1 for cheap from Big Agnes. not real sure when they phased it out, but now their lightweight budget tent series is called Lone Spring. its 3.5lb(ish).

If you can afford the copper spur that would be the ticket in my book. it has everything you could ask for. very light, bombproof, great side door zip with easier, more protected access and vestibule space than their other models, vent, guy-out points, fast fly set-up, etc etc.

love to ride.

Topic Name: Tent help: Light Backpackers Advice Needed Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 11:55:07 PM
macr237

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 11:55:07 PM »

hey mac - hope the revolution is treating you well. keep us posted on your experience with big sky international. i really liked a few of their models, i just couldn't pull the trigger. there isn't much out there about them and it would be beneficial to hear what you think.

Will do. Can't wait to try it out.

Macr

Topic Name: Tent help: Light Backpackers Advice Needed Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 11:29:20 AM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 11:29:20 AM »

Mac
did your revolution ever show up?

OP
you probably have a tent by now but i did a ton of research and basically what you get typically with the cottage manufacturers is more livable space per weight and reasonable cost (sil nylon) or more livable space for  far less weight but high price (cuben). Because i already have a contrail i was looking to save weight (especially when wet), packed space and have better entry/sit-up and change room. I do most of my trips in nw mt and bc so a tent made the best sense as bugs are an issue most of the season. It came down to 2 tents the skyscape x and the solplex which were both around a pound and very livable/secure. I found a lightly used  skyscape x on BPL so i bought it. First trip w/it is this weekend

Topic Name: Tent help: Light Backpackers Advice Needed Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 12:29:25 PM
macr237

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 12:29:25 PM »

Revolution has shown up and it looks pretty good. I haven't gone for a test run at the moment, as I still need to buy a couple things.

Topic Name: Tent help: Light Backpackers Advice Needed Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 11:03:47 AM
bicyclehobo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 11:03:47 AM »

I will be testing a zpacks tent from Jun 28 - July 8. I will pen up a lengthy review and post up a link.

Topic Name: Tent help: Light Backpackers Advice Needed Reply #27 on: June 25, 2014, 06:59:31 AM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2014, 06:59:31 AM »

hobo
did you get a solplex?

Topic Name: Tent help: Light Backpackers Advice Needed Reply #28 on: June 25, 2014, 07:44:01 AM
bicyclehobo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2014, 07:44:01 AM »

Not a soloplex a hexamid solo - http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid.shtml Smiley

I went all in with the extended beak, net flooring, cuben fiber bathtub groundcloth, carbon fiber pole, and 8 titanium stakes. I am really excited to test it out. It's the smallest and lightest shelter I have ever owned. Just over a pound and compresses much smaller than the 6" x 12" stuff sack it comes in. Fully taped and looks to be very high quality gear.

Again I will have a full write up with video and photos to link to in about two weeks. I am very excited to test this shelter. I have no association with zpacks outside of marveling at gear on their site. All in it set me back $475 USD. Expensive but considering the price of a hotel in the US it should pay for itself after 5 nights.

I was planning on using a Eureka Backcountry 1 but the prospect of dropping 3.5 pounds and cutting my pack size was too much to pass up.

Topic Name: Tent help: Light Backpackers Advice Needed Reply #29 on: June 25, 2014, 07:48:03 AM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2014, 07:48:03 AM »

nice, looking forward to hearing how you like it

Topic Name: Tent help: Light Backpackers Advice Needed Reply #30 on: June 29, 2014, 06:28:32 AM
Couloirman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2014, 06:28:32 AM »

hobo
did you get a solplex?

I have the solplex and will be bringing it on the CTR this year. Love this little tent

Topic Name: Tent help: Light Backpackers Advice Needed Reply #31 on: June 29, 2014, 10:58:59 AM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2014, 10:58:59 AM »

solplex was my first choice but a used skyscape x came up so i went for it
hoping i like it- its been rainy since i got it so i have not set it up

Topic Name: Tent help: Light Backpackers Advice Needed Reply #32 on: June 30, 2014, 02:29:29 PM
Flounder

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2014, 02:29:29 PM »

I rely on three main shelters.

For ultra-racing: MSR AC Bivy. One pound, rolls up to the size of a bike bottle. Relatively roomy for a bivy.

For light-bikepacking with the prospect of foul weather: Nemo GoGo LE. Like a luxurious bivy sack or tiny tent. Uses an inflatable hoop that is bomber. No poles to worry about. Great tent solution. My favorite of the last 20 years.

Go big bikepacking in places with poo weather: I'm headed to Iceland for three weeks and my "big" shelter solution is an MSR Hubba NX. Extremely small. Very light. Pitches to a roomy size.
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: