Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tent pole storage for my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 or other suggestions? on: February 29, 2016, 05:38:23 PM
Trhoppe

View Profile
« on: February 29, 2016, 05:38:23 PM »

I impulse bought a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 at REI the other day as they are having a nice 25% off sale (nice return policy if I change my mind after trying it in the living room). I have the UL3 as our backpacking tent and it is awesome, so figured the UL1 would be great for bikepacking. I recently moved to Colorado from Georgia, and I've either stayed in hotels, cabins, just not slept (for ~2 day races), or slept in a hammock for all my previous bikepacking adventures. My big adventure this year will be Colorado Trail and next year Arizona Trail, so I don't think the hammock will be a great idea.

Having said that, I'm a bit skeptical on bivy sacks from a weight to coverage perspective and also moisture, and as much as I want to be a badass, I'm feeling very meow about doing what Long Ranger suggested: http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=11685.0;attach=7227;image Not sure why. I just appreciate being in a tent for some reason. Same thing I guess when you're under a tarp wrapped up in a hammock. I dunno what it is.

The Fly Creek UL1 is 2lbs total, or 1lb 4oz if I fast fly (footprint, stakes, and rain fly only, a freestanding, better coverage version of Justin's setup). It's basically the same weight, or lighter (fast fly option) that doing a bivy, and I can be way more rain proof and store my crap inside too. Was thinking Tarptent Moment DW, but it's more expensive, same weight (2lbs) and it still has a pole, and I can't return it. Any better "buy it now" tent recommendations?

Having said all this and TLDR: If you have a tent like this, or a normal tent, where do you put your tent poles? Was thinking possibly underneath my handlebar bag? If I stick it inside the frame bag, I'm afraid I'll give up enough room to where I won't be able to fit my 100oz bladder that I like carrying in there. Backpack? If I crash that could be very non bueno for the poles. Or should I just sack up and do what Long Ranger does....
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 05:52:35 PM by Trhoppe » Logged

Topic Name: Tent pole storage for my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 or other suggestions? Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 06:02:08 PM
Bobonli

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 06:02:08 PM »

I'm new here so take what I say accordingly!

Yes, I think you'd land up putting the poles under the handlebars at least that's where I have in my trial runs with a much heavier tent. I'd suggest--if time permits / if you're thinking about returning it---try putting them in various places and doing a test ride around the neighborhood.

BTW, I'm on the fence between the BA and Tarptent for the same reasons you listed. Weights are practically the same, the price is quite different but at least you can bring the BA back to REI after testing it in your backyard or living room. Doing that through a mail order situation seems like a hassle. I've heard that the UL1 is very tight particularly if you're big. Let us know how you like it.

Topic Name: Tent pole storage for my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 or other suggestions? Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 07:06:39 PM
Trhoppe

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 07:06:39 PM »

The UL1 is very much like a "bivy plus". I'm 5ft 10in, and it's nice and roomy for me, and fairly tall, so I can sit up, comfortably change, etc etc. The *only* thing that is giving me second thoughts are the poles, but I think that's just me being dumb.

I also just found a Nemo GoGo 1LE on Amazon Prime for $220 with a sweet return policy, so I'm going to try that as well to see. 30 day return policy on that one as well, so we'll have a living room tent off Smiley

edit: and as far as price, the UL1 on sale was $239, so it's $60 cheaper than the Tarptent stuff
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:46:41 PM by Trhoppe » Logged

Topic Name: Tent pole storage for my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 or other suggestions? Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 01:48:44 AM
windowace

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 01:48:44 AM »

Handlebars, along with tent, sleeping pad,  rain gear, and cook pot/cup for me.  That is for non-race incidence.  For the AZT 750, I skipped tent because  weather looked favorable.  I've taken the same tent for multi-days in Utah, Wyoming and Washington , and have very much enjoyed it's space  and protection.  I am expecting to give the CT a run this year and figure the tent will be a day before race decision, depending on likelihood of precip.  It's a few pounds but worth it , unless you are hoping to go under 5 days(IMO).  I worried more about lbs in the past but you give and take'em every time you refuel, hydrate.  I like to be prepared to hunker if absolutely necessary. Just me. try what feels right, evaluate, adjust, and enjoy.

Topic Name: Tent pole storage for my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 or other suggestions? Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 01:52:51 AM
windowace

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 01:52:51 AM »

Probably not clear.  I have the BA UL1, and really like it.  I am smallish. 5'6" ish. 150 lbs.

Topic Name: Tent pole storage for my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 or other suggestions? Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 06:18:13 AM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 06:18:13 AM »

I agree with you on the tent - I just don't feel comfortable in a bivy.  Anyway, have you looked at the Tarptent pro-trail - it is only $225, less than the BA UL1.  It weighs 26 oz, though poles are an extra 2 oz, so not as light as the BA UL1 fast fly but lighter than the BA UL1.  

For poles, I don't know about the BA UL1, but my poles are about small enough when folded that I can slip them thru the Velcro on my top tube bags, along the top tube (and this can probably be done as well along the bottom tube).  I also tie the front end of the poles to the bike so they won't slip down (look at the pic and you will see the orange cord).

* Bikepacking bike.jpg (140.97 KB, 960x720 - viewed 1110 times.)

Topic Name: Tent pole storage for my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 or other suggestions? Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 06:58:40 AM
Trhoppe

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 06:58:40 AM »

I'm planning on 7 day CTR run. Figured 18 hours of ride time, 1 hour of setup/teardown/chillout, and 5 hours of sleep a night on average. That's my impetus for taking a tent. Not going "full race mode" on my first attempt.

I figured if rain/storms are definitely on the radar, I was going to go full tent, which will help with warmth too, and take a polycro ground cloth. If rain is less likely, then go fast fly only. What are the chances of getting 7 days where it doesn't pound rain overnight at elevation in CO? Smiley

Going to try to setup the handlebars setup today as suggested and see how that feels.

Also not sure why I haven't seen anyone put them outside the frame bag, like mtnbound above. That seems like a good plan. I could just get an extra couple of velcro loops sown in and be good. Hmmm.

Lastly, as far as the Tarptent ProTrail. Definitely looked at it, but as you mentioned, the UL1 Fast Fly is lighter AND I get a choice of having a full double wall tent. I figured having that option AND having REI at my back was worth it.

Topic Name: Tent pole storage for my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 or other suggestions? Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 01:23:17 PM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 01:23:17 PM »

I have the BA fly creek UL2 and it's a great tent, though I've never taken it bikepacking. A tent definitely offers a feeling of more security and more bug protection than a tarp. Tarps are usually lighter and offer more space per pound.  Have you looked at Ray Jardine's tarp design? as far as I know it's not commercially available, so You'd have to sew it, or find someone to sew it. Crazy Creek makes a tarp with the same design but  it's urethane coated nylon instead of silnylon and it looks like you have to buy it with a hammock. Here's a link to a picture of a ray way tarp. http://www.scotthearn.com/WALKABOUTBLOG/content/binary/2007/AT%20Gear%20List/Scott%204.JPG

Tons of coverage and the ends are semi closed off. The other tarp I like is the Rab/Integral designs (2 names for the same company) sil tarp 2 It's an 8x10 foot silnylon tarp that weighs 13ozs and packs up pretty small. It's a simple rectangle shape so you can pitch it a lot of different ways. I usually pitch it in an A frame configuration, but sometimes in a lean-to shape works better given the trees and terrain.

Tarps take more thought and finesse than free standing tents but they can be just as dry and comfortable, and are easier to set up while its raining than a tent. If you pitch it low, it's almost as much psychological shelter as a tent.

Topic Name: Tent pole storage for my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 or other suggestions? Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 02:06:37 PM
Trhoppe

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 02:06:37 PM »

Maybe, it's just me, but even with the 8x10 and "thinking to setup" at 13oz, then you still have to have a floor cover.

With the UL1 I can be at 18oz and have a "Fast Fly" setup with the rain fly, poles and footprint. The only negative is dealing with pole storage.......ugh

Topic Name: Tent pole storage for my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 or other suggestions? Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 02:15:04 PM
Trhoppe

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »

As a slight follow up, I've got the Fly Creek UL1 and the Nemo GoGo setup in the backyard. The GoGo is WAY WAY WAY warmer. The way the Fly Creek is setup with a fly and tent, the wind gets to come under the fly into the tent. The Nemo is basically a rain fly burrito.

Now I'm not sure which is better here, since we're talking about rain + cold + colorado elevation. Might mean the Nemo gives me more warmth, which lets me pack my 40 degree bag vs 30 degree bag.....

If it's warm and not raining, I'm sleeping under the stars anyways.

Topic Name: Tent pole storage for my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 or other suggestions? Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 03:53:55 PM
Tractor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 03:53:55 PM »

I have a Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL2 and I ran into the same issue. I originally used electrical tape to tape the pole set to the top of the top tube, but the large plastic connection points were always in the way. I also tried Salsa strapping them to the underside of my seat pack, but they moved around quite a bit.

I finally settled on sliding them into my frame bag against the down tube, with the bigger plastic ends towards the bottom. I still find I have plenty of room for stuff, but I do have a Large Salsa Fargo with a big triangle.

1 other tip, I use 2 small zip ties to secure all the poles together before throwing them in my bag, this keeps them tight together and prevents clanking and jostling around.

Topic Name: Tent pole storage for my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 or other suggestions? Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 08:43:22 AM
Yagi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 08:43:22 AM »

I finally settled on sliding them into my frame bag against the down tube, with the bigger plastic ends towards the bottom. I still find I have plenty of room for stuff, but I do have a Large Salsa Fargo with a big triangle.

1 other tip, I use 2 small zip ties to secure all the poles together before throwing them in my bag, this keeps them tight together and prevents clanking and jostling around.

I do the exact same thing with my poles, and I have a BA Fly Creek 2.  I also have a monster-sized bike, though, so, like Tractor, the frame bag storage works great for me.  One thing I've found that works great is keeping the poles together with 2 small velcro straps like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Velcro-Tie-Straps-Cable-Ties-Reusable-Hook-and-Loop-8-x-3-4-Pack-of-10-USA-/390731996460

They work great for tons of other things, too, and weigh practically nothing.

Topic Name: Tent pole storage for my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 or other suggestions? Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 12:50:44 PM
woodsy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 12:50:44 PM »

I agree with you on the tent - I just don't feel comfortable in a bivy.  Anyway, have you looked at the Tarptent pro-trail - it is only $225, less than the BA UL1.  It weighs 26 oz, though poles are an extra 2 oz, so not as light as the BA UL1 fast fly but lighter than the BA UL1. 

For poles, I don't know about the BA UL1, but my poles are about small enough when folded that I can slip them thru the Velcro on my top tube bags, along the top tube (and this can probably be done as well along the bottom tube).  I also tie the front end of the poles to the bike so they won't slip down (look at the pic and you will see the orange cord).

Is that a Sea to Summit drybag on your handlebars? I have one of those as well, and am wondering what is the best way to mount it securely.

Topic Name: Tent pole storage for my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 or other suggestions? Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 01:41:32 PM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 01:41:32 PM »

As to poles, when I use them, I stick them in my pack which has a deep outer pocket you can cinch tight. They poke out a bit but are totally secure - haven't lost one yet. It's also how I carried my pump for the last few years (it was a longer road pump I also carried on day rides).

I have heard of people stowing poles inside the seat tube too. Depends on size and length of poles tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: