Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tent poles for bikepacking on: January 03, 2023, 06:53:13 AM
SmatterPunk

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2023, 06:53:13 AM »

Just curious if anyone knows if you can get custom made poles for tents?

I really like the Big Agnes Tiger Wall tent with the 12" poles, Big Agnes has a few tents with "short styx" poles that fit much better in a bike bag.

But, I would love to get an MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 tent because:
  • It's completely free standing. If I can't stake into the ground for some reason (i.e. camped on a rock) I don't have to worry about creative stake options
  • 2 person. I'm not really putting two people in the tent, but I like the extra room for gear and moving around the tent. I'll take the weight penalty for the flexibility.
  • In the 3 lbs range. I wish I could get a 2 lbs range tent to save a little weight, but I'll take what I can get for free standing and 2 person.

The only problem with the MSR Hubba Hubba is that the poles are too long. So, I'm wondering if there are folks out in the world that will make a custom set of ultra-light poles at a 12" length to accommodate a tent that I the MSR? I figure this way I have a backup set of poles that I can use for a tent that I really like.

If anything, I would think custom poles could be a really great business for someone with the tools and expertise to build them in aluminium or carbon fiber.

Topic Name: Tent poles for bikepacking Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 10:23:58 AM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 10:23:58 AM »

Check em out:

https://gprivate.com/62qzq

Topic Name: Tent poles for bikepacking Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 01:08:24 PM
Low Tech

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 01:08:24 PM »

I got poles for my tarp that I bikepack w/ from these guys,

https://www.questoutfitters.com/index.html

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Topic Name: Tent poles for bikepacking Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 03:22:44 PM
sashax

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 03:22:44 PM »

I'm not sure I understand why a Big Agnes Copper Spur 2-person bikepack version doesn't meet your reqs? free standing, short poles, <3lbs, at least according to their site.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: