Pages: 1 2 [3]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: The BikePacker's Kitchen- stoves, cookkits, water treatment discussed here Reply #40 on: March 23, 2013, 12:39:59 PM
Colorado Cool Breeze

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2013, 12:39:59 PM »

I am curious. For those of you filtering with a pump version filter, how careful are you about keeping the intake line apart from the output line.  Do you worry about contaminating your gear/filter with water from the outside of the tubing (the part you drop in the stream,pond,puddle etc.).  My filter came with a Ziploc type bag for the input line, which I use, but I am not super careful about not letting any unfiltered water touch filtered water components.  I have not used the system much, but have not had any issues so far. Thoughts?

When I am done filtering. I remove my hose and whip it around in the air to drain and dry it.
The hose never gets near the filtered water or clean end of the pump.
I sure like your idea of using a plastic sandwich bag to store the hose in just to be safe.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 12:46:17 PM by Colorado Cool Breeze » Logged

Topic Name: The BikePacker's Kitchen- stoves, cookkits, water treatment discussed here Reply #41 on: March 23, 2013, 04:48:16 PM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2013, 04:48:16 PM »

I guess it depends on the water source(s) you're using.

I have used pumps for years while backpacking in the Sierra Nevada.  I never worried too much about what you've described and I've never had any problems.  But the sources I typically use are pretty clean to begin with.  Though Giardia is always a possibility in the Sierra, the actual threat is way over-stated IMO.  I know of many who drink straight from the sources without problems.

Now if you're talking about water sources that have much more human/animal impacts, I would probably exercise greater caution.

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!
  Pages: 1 2 [3]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: