Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Thudbuster or Bodyfloat? on: March 27, 2016, 07:16:31 AM
Peteyd

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2016, 07:16:31 AM »

I'm doing the TD on my Fargo X9, no suspension. I was going to get a Thudbuster but then I ran across the Bodyfloat. Any opinions on either of them?

Topic Name: Thudbuster or Bodyfloat? Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 07:38:39 AM
Attaboy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 07:38:39 AM »

TB came with my Fargo. I really tried to like it, and gave it several months. I just couldn't get comfortable with the movement and changes in Geo that accompanied it. The body float looks nice and I believe Guitar Ted has one and may have reviewed it. I moved to a regulator seatpost and love it. It truly feels similar in terms of dampening and it's about half a pound lighter.

Topic Name: Thudbuster or Bodyfloat? Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 03:32:48 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 03:32:48 PM »

There are other compliant seatpost options out there that might worth considering:

Syntace HyFlex
Cannondale SAVE
Ergon (supposedly unavailable in US; my LBS has one)

These base compliance on flex rather than a suspension mechanism, so maybe that's a deal breaker for you. In building my El Mariachi for the divide, I've decided on this direction, although it has a sus fork. I own a Thudbuster and have tried it on this bike – just more activation than needed and undesirably heavy. Rode the US divide on a fully rigid tandem – the stock TB would have been unnecessary. Just a good saddle should do it; maybe a flexy post along with it. FWIW.

I founds this interesting and informative:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/12/training-center/technology/from-the-pages-of-velo-getting-the-most-from-your-post_267560

Topic Name: Thudbuster or Bodyfloat? Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 03:01:32 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 03:01:32 PM »

I've gotten a couple of half-day trail rides with the Syntace HiFlex. Not a cheap addition, but I'm sold on it.

• Seems to provide just enough dampening (so far – long days/multiple days will be the true test). I can't say that I feel it flexing, but that's what I was hoping for
• The clamp is quite long, and although not setback beyond a few mm, provides a lot of F-B adjustment latitude
• Metered markings are handy if you use a QR collar/drop it
• Lightweight at 231g (27.2 x 400)
• No weird shapes to impede using a seat bag or post rack collar
• Can be trimmed in length to suit

I'm using it on a steel El Mariachi SS with 100mm squish in front and carbon AM-rated hoops.

http://www.syntaceusa.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=2033

Topic Name: Thudbuster or Bodyfloat? Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 10:55:08 PM
F0neb0ne

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 10:55:08 PM »

I have a Thudbuster LT on my Cannondale F2 29er, and its perfect. It literally saves your ass, and you can even ride down 5" curbs without pains in bum or backbone.

2 years ago I did the Grenzsteintrophy here in Germany which is 950km offroad, with a lot of old NVA military concrete plate paths:

You can see the lots of small holes in the plates, and the plates rarely lie smoothly next to each other too. Without any suspension, this would have been very nasty. With the TB LT it was no problem at all to ride these tracks for miles and miles, 10 hours a day.

Topic Name: Thudbuster or Bodyfloat? Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 03:24:12 AM
Peteyd

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 03:24:12 AM »

I got the Bodyfloat. I'm still dialing it in but I like it so far. It weighs 20 ounces; my Thomson post is 10. It takes out the smaiier bumps with no bounce while pedaling. Excellent support from the company, too.

Topic Name: Thudbuster or Bodyfloat? Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 06:59:44 PM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 06:59:44 PM »

I got the Bodyfloat. I'm still dialing it in but I like it so far. It weighs 20 ounces; my Thomson post is 10. It takes out the smaiier bumps with no bounce while pedaling. Excellent support from the company, too.

I have one too.  My only complaint is that it has to be used *in place of* a dropper.  For rides where a dropper isn't needed it is brilliant. 

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: