Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tips on staying safe on: May 17, 2012, 07:33:37 AM
double g

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2012, 07:33:37 AM »

I'm planning a road trip and i was wondering for some of you that ride on roads a lot if you could offer some observations or tips to keep me from becoming road kill. The trip mainly consists of two lane country roads with lots of sharp turns that kinda worry me as a lot of the good old boys drive like there are going to be no other cars on the road. In some stretches it can kinda get congested with cars but i think those will probably be safer than on a secluded country road. I will also take the answer of (just stay off the roads and plan different trip) as logical. What you think?

Topic Name: Tips on staying safe Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 08:54:21 AM
vancouvergnome

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 08:54:21 AM »

double,

I ride on roads a lot. My number one rule is to see and be seen. I run strobe lights front and back day or night. You may feel a little silly doing it but that blinking light I have been told draws drivers out of their day dream. You don't need to break the bank as you can buy two lights for less than 20 bucks. I also never, ever wear headphones no matter how tempting when I am riding along side cars.

Safe Riding.

Topic Name: Tips on staying safe Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 08:56:53 AM
double g

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 08:56:53 AM »

Good idea, I will pick some up and I was also thinking of some bright clothing.

Topic Name: Tips on staying safe Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 09:44:34 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 09:44:34 AM »

When I ride on the road, I wear a high-viz jersey. Makes it easier to see me from a good distance away.

You could also wear a clip-on mirror so that you can see wayward cars and take evasive action when necessary.

"Done"

Topic Name: Tips on staying safe Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 02:12:02 PM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 02:12:02 PM »

I would really second the high-viz jersey.  I commute solely by bike, and while I feel a bit weird putting on a jersey for a 20 minute ride, I figure my life is worth the venture into Fred-dom and the extra 2 minutes.

Topic Name: Tips on staying safe Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 12:08:51 PM
paxton coyote

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 12:08:51 PM »

you can also use one of those safety vests that are bright green with the reflector strips then it can be pulled off & tucked away when stopping for lunch or re-stocking supplies, they are available at a lot of stores now, seen them at Tractor Supply & maybe even Wal-Mart

Topic Name: Tips on staying safe Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 01:15:20 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 01:15:20 PM »

I have in the past used an American flag jersey, laid over my pack, as a way to discourage abuse by rednecks.

Trail Stewards have had good luck putting the flag stickers on trail signs.

The jersey I have was from the American Cycling Federation. As I recall at the time of purchase they said part of the proceeds would go the the Federation. I just happened to have it along on my first AZT tour and when I got to a long road section it made sense to fly the flag so to speak.

Topic Name: Tips on staying safe Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 01:37:52 PM
double g

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 01:37:52 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys...or girls!  I didn't have a chance to make it to civilization yet so i went to the close by wal-mart and bought a neon orange flagger t shirt and ripped the sleeves off. It serves as a quick solution so i can ride my bike and my wife wont worry about me too much. Interesting observation though.  I fount that drivers actually did slow down more and treat me with a little more care and i think it was because they are equating the neon orange to worker safety or something like that. Also the country neighbors seemed a little friendlier because i looked more like a bike enthusiast than maybe somebody staking out there house for a robbery! LOL!  I will buy a sweat wicking shirt soon this cottoni is hot as hell.
i also picked up a red flasher. I am going to pick up the strobes a little closer to when i plan a longer trip. My trip today was 8.5 miles every time i go out i get a little farther! Also i put the allsport gps app. on my android and it tracks everything. That app. is awesome.
Thanks!

Topic Name: Tips on staying safe Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 08:48:51 PM
redtabby

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 08:48:51 PM »

You might want to consider a daylight-visible tail light, such as the Dinotte.

As a driver I'm always impressed when I come up on bikes running these
things during the day. 

The Dinotte that I have is a rechargeable, but it uses a standard 7.2v
battery which I've rigged up so I can share with a headlight as well.

There may be other daylight-visible products out there which use
disposable batteries.

Topic Name: Tips on staying safe Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 12:51:32 PM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 12:51:32 PM »

Check out the RUSA store they have a bunch of stuff to make you more visible on the road.  Also consider lighting options see Peter White Cycles.

Topic Name: Tips on staying safe Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 08:57:27 PM
Tommi

Always a little farther.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 08:57:27 PM »

I wear a blaze orange or yellow mesh-type fabric constuction worker shirt, with reflective strips in the summer, as its breathable and visible. A bit of ca$h to save ones life is well worth it.

Topic Name: Tips on staying safe Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 03:01:49 PM
juanesunpescado

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 03:01:49 PM »

I assume this is a multi day tour with minimal chances to recharge things. I would suggest the following:

A couple of the planet bike superflash lights
a couple smaller blinkies that you can zip tie to your helmet
a bike peddler mirror that attaches to your glasses
avoid wearing head phones. Which is a bummer on a tour, but with lots of curves, you are going to hear them before you see each other.

Good luck!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: