Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Titec J / H bar for pavement on: November 21, 2011, 07:22:23 PM
GRAVELBIKE

View Profile WWW
« on: November 21, 2011, 07:22:23 PM »

I'm considering converting my commuter's drop bars to Titec J-Bars because I find that I only use the ramps/hoods, and I want more control for un-paved riding.  Shifters would be Shimano bar-cons mounted to Paul Thumbies, and levers would probably be Avid v-brake jobbies.

Anyone used the Titec (or gen-u-ine Jones) bars for extended on-road use? 

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Topic Name: Titec J / H bar for pavement Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:29:06 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:29:06 PM »

plenty of time on my ss / fg cross check and then soma juice.
will be currently moving to my pugsley.

eyeing building up something for the fargo build for winter / studded tires.
but i love the woodchippers, so they would be a seasonal thing.

Topic Name: Titec J / H bar for pavement Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:00:52 PM
GRAVELBIKE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:00:52 PM »

plenty of time on my ss / fg cross check and then soma juice.
will be currently moving to my pugsley.

eyeing building up something for the fargo build for winter / studded tires.
but i love the woodchippers, so they would be a seasonal thing.

Cool, thanks.  Any photos of the Cross Check with those bars?

Topic Name: Titec J / H bar for pavement Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 02:26:49 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 02:26:49 AM »

No pics. Been awhile since that bike was in the stable. Had to put on quite a long stem to get the reach right. Made things pretty odd looking.

Topic Name: Titec J / H bar for pavement Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 09:46:19 AM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 09:46:19 AM »

If your frame geometery is designed for drop bars, you might want to do some calculations before switching to a flat bar dervative,  you might need a stem with a super long reach stem so that you have the appropriate bike fit.

Topic Name: Titec J / H bar for pavement Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 10:02:35 AM
GRAVELBIKE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 10:02:35 AM »

If your frame geometery is designed for drop bars, you might want to do some calculations before switching to a flat bar dervative,  you might need a stem with a super long reach stem so that you have the appropriate bike fit.

Right now, I'm riding a SOMA Saga that has a 58cm effective top tube.  Since the STA is pretty steep (i.e., steeper than the claimed 73d), I have to shove my saddle pretty far back (even with a Selle An-Atomica).  That makes the Saga's effective top tube even longer, and I ended up with a 70mm x 35d stem with the current drops.  Definitely not optimal.

I'm seriously considering replacing the SOMA with a 56cm Surly LHT, which has a 57cm effective top tube (and an STA much closer to the stated 73d).  I figure the effective top tube on the LHT will be approx 14mm shorter, so even if I wanted to replicate my current saddle-to-bar reach, I'd end up with a pretty reasonable stem length.

Topic Name: Titec J / H bar for pavement Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 06:01:26 PM
wheelmanron

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 06:01:26 PM »

I just sold all my other bikes and built up a pugsley with 29er wheels and the titec jones bars as a commuter\mtb\one bike to rule them all, and plan on getting the fat wheels soon. A few hundred miles later, I am in love. These bars may never leave the bike.

Topic Name: Titec J / H bar for pavement Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 08:38:09 PM
jeremy11

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 08:38:09 PM »

Do It.  I like the extra room for control systems (light, T-Rex, computer) and the extra hand positions are fun too.
Now with V1 Pogies, they got modified slightly to fit on, and I'll need to wrap a bit of fabric around the levers then cinch the pogie collar down again to seal the drafts out of the bottom better.
1297 commuter miles today for this school year so far.

Topic Name: Titec J / H bar for pavement Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 05:33:27 AM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 05:33:27 AM »

I went with the Jones Loop bars on my Big Dummy. I'm still working on getting the bar angle and position dialed in, but I've been very happy with them so far. Now that I have figured out where my lights and other stuff are going to mount, I'll get to work on wrapping the area where the bars join each other as I use that area a lot for a cruising position on the local trails. I'm thinking about putting on some regular grips like others have done, but I'm not sure about that yet.

Cockpit II by S.Fuller, on Flickr

Topic Name: Titec J / H bar for pavement Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 09:52:59 AM
GRAVELBIKE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 09:52:59 AM »

Thanks for all the info.  Titec J-Bars are en route, as well as some dead-stock Avid Ti brake levers.  Already have the Thumbies and Shimano bar-cons.  Really looking forward to giving these bars a try.

Topic Name: Titec J / H bar for pavement Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 03:17:27 PM
GRAVELBIKE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 03:17:27 PM »

J-Bar 1 by justridingalong, on Flickr

Topic Name: Titec J / H bar for pavement Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 02:50:41 PM
GRAVELBIKE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 02:50:41 PM »

Took 'em for a short ride, and I like 'em.  thumbsup

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: