Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? on: December 22, 2015, 08:27:33 PM
Allan_333

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2015, 08:27:33 PM »

The following is my gear list for a road only tour on a cyclocross bike, using bike packing bags.
 It will be 7-8 weeks, 3500-4000km (2200-2500mi) in summer(lowest night time temp 15ºC/ 59ºF), I will be sending a box of stuff, to my wife's place in Tokyo(roughly my half way point) to do some work on the bike at the half way point. Its also a non-cooking tour.

Any ideas on anything I can cut, or replace with something light/more compact would be great, and let me know if there is anything I have missed/overlooked.

I am also hoping I can reduce the number of bike packing bags on the bike

On Bike Stuff:
 -bell (legal requirement for Japan)
 -1L water bottle (Plenty of places to stop for water in Japan)
 -rear/front lights (I don't intend on riding at night but just in case I was thinking of taking little LED lights)
 -GPS(I find this easier than taking maps)
 -bike pump(small pump with gauge)

12L seat bag(Pika):
 -Shelter (Big Sky Soul 1P)
 -sleeping bag (Sea to Summit Traveller 1)
 -sleeping matt (Sea to Summit Ultralight uninsulated)
 -jersey,socks,undies,skins(one complete change of on bike clothes)
 -singlet

on Rider kit:
 -long sleeve jersey, shorts, running tights, undies, socks (one change of on bike clothes)
 -runners
 -helmet
 -hat (for under the helmet)
 -Sunglasses
 -Gloves (more for sun protection than anything else)

Frame Bag: (Homemade)
 -passport
 -1 spare tube
 -electric shaver
 -100ml toothpaste, toothbrush (with handle cut in half)
 -tent poles
 -50ml chain lube and rag (I'm assuming 50ml of lube will be enough for 2 bikes, to go 2000km, 4 weeks, I will have a chance to refill after this)
 -100ml multi purpose liquid soap
 -balaclava (for sun protection)

Toptube bag:
 -2 port AC USB charger, 1 Short Mini USB cable(GPS), 1 Short Miro USB cable(Phone,Di2), Di2 charger
 -Mobile Phone & AA power bank(powerbank for GPS, Di2, and Phone)
 -shower cap (keeps B17 saddle dry, and doubles as a rain helmet cover)
 -100ml sunscreen
 -bike lock & brake Strap
 -Money

Rear Triangle bag:
 -multitool
 -Punture kit (glueless patches)
 -2 Tyre leavers

====================================
 Stuff I will have in Tokyo
 -Bike tool kit
 -Nail clippers/tweesers
 -Change of casual clothes/shoes
 -Sun screen
 -shaver charger/240V adapter
 -Tooth Brush (handle cut down)
 -Chamios cream
 -Chain remover quicklink tool
 -chain, quick links (change in Tokyo)
 -Spare Brake Pads (change in Tokyo)
 -2 Spare folding Tyres (change in Tokyo)
 -Tablet to load GPS with more navigational points
 -Body wash
 -chain lube/oil
 -chain degreaser and bike cleaning stuff (to service bike in Tokyo)

Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 06:40:15 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 06:40:15 AM »

The electric shaver is probably unnecessary. Grow a beard! There is nobody around to stop you.

Also from what I hear glueless patches are garbage. Use the full tube repair kit with glue patches. They actually work.

Given those temperatures, you may be fine with just a bivvy and no sleepingbag. All depends on the humidity though I guess.

Where do you plan on keeping snacks? That is by far the most important thing I pack on any trip over about 10 miles.

Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 06:59:24 AM
Allan_333

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 06:59:24 AM »

The electric shaver is probably unnecessary. Grow a beard! There is nobody around to stop you.

Also from what I hear glueless patches are garbage. Use the full tube repair kit with glue patches. They actually work.

Given those temperatures, you may be fine with just a bivvy and no sleepingbag. All depends on the humidity though I guess.

Where do you plan on keeping snacks? That is by far the most important thing I pack on any trip over about 10 miles.

A beard with helmet straps itches for me, so I need to shave every 2-3 days, and a manual razor cuts my face up.

Humidity is quite high so bivvy probably wont work, I am fairly set taking my Soul 1P.

I don't carry snacks whilst touring, I stop of for breakfast. lunch, and dinner, that's about all I need.

Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 09:13:29 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 09:13:29 AM »

Jokes aside, it sounds like you are pretty set!

The Lezyne Microdrive (with gauge, make sure to get the appropriate HP/HV style) gets rave reviews if you don't mind carrying a little weight for a LOT of added usability.

Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 02:40:27 AM
Allan_333

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 02:40:27 AM »

Jokes aside, it sounds like you are pretty set!

The Lezyne Microdrive (with gauge, make sure to get the appropriate HP/HV style) gets rave reviews if you don't mind carrying a little weight for a LOT of added usability.

Ah yes, Sheldon Brown the bearded keeper of knowledge for cycling.

Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 01:19:08 PM
dh024

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 01:19:08 PM »

- first aid kit?
- rain jacket?
- zip ties/length of duct tape?

--David

Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 01:12:52 AM
Allan_333

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 01:12:52 AM »

- first aid kit?
- rain jacket?
- zip ties/length of duct tape?

First Aid kits can be improvised if the injury is serious enough, so I  don't need one
Wont be cold enough to worry about rain gear.
I might take a little bit of duct tape, but I don't think I will have any use for zip ties.

Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 01:14:00 AM
Allan_333

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 01:14:00 AM »

Beards aside, Sheldon would have carried a map.

West Newton ...out.

I'm taking a GPS instead of a map.

Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 07:00:36 AM
Allan_333

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 07:00:36 AM »

What could possibly go wrong?

The GPS has not failed me yet, and I've used it on many tours. On top of that my tour will be on roads, so there will be plenty of road signs.

Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 07:17:47 AM
Allan_333

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 07:17:47 AM »

Seems as if you can leave the GPS behind - sort of like the handle of your toothbrush.

You know what I can navigate the length of Japan by road signs, but navigating around the cities when I get to them would be quite difficult with out the GPS. Carrying a detailed map of every city I will be riding around would add up quite quickly, to a lot of weight/volume. On top of that with a GPS I atleast always know where I am.

Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 07:18:31 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 07:18:31 AM »

Somebody's snark is showing. But in all seriousness, I like to bring along at least general notes of where I'm going and how to get there in a non-digital format. That way if I get lost or turned around, I know what questions to ask the locals.

Navigation wise, you are SO much better off safe than sorry.

Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 07:23:49 AM
Allan_333

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 07:23:49 AM »

Somebody's snark is showing. But in all seriousness, I like to bring along at least general notes of where I'm going and how to get there in a non-digital format. That way if I get lost or turned around, I know what questions to ask the locals.

Navigation wise, you are SO much better off safe than sorry.

I have already travelled Japan a fair bit, speak the language fairly well, and know the lay of the land, as I said a few minutes ago, I can navigate around the whole country with my eyes shut, standing on my head, and cycling backwards (Except navigating around the cities)

Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 07:40:07 AM
Allan_333

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 07:40:07 AM »

icon_biggrin

TPIUWP

(that post is useless without picutres)

Not quite sure what that means.

Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 01:24:51 PM
mTeryk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 01:24:51 PM »

First Aid kits can be improvised if the injury is serious enough, so I  don't need one
Wont be cold enough to worry about rain gear.
I might take a little bit of duct tape, but I don't think I will have any use for zip ties.
[Soapbox]
Having a basic first aid kit is the difference between having scrapes and cuts be a minor annoyance and getting your clothing and gear bloody while you find someone to bum first aid supplies from. Splints and slings can be improvised but wound care supplies should be carried in my opinion. A properly cleaned cut heals faster and better. How much does a basic first aid kit for two people weigh? Not much.

Same goes for rain gear. It's not just for rain. Somebody has a serious fall and you need to wait for emergency transport, keeping them warm can keep them from going into shock. Doesn't matter how warm the weather is. If you aren't going to carry rain gear, carry an emergency blanket. It's like an insurance policy, hopefully you never use it, but it's important to have none the less.
[/soapbox]

Teryk

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 12:00:20 AM
Allan_333

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 12:00:20 AM »

[Soapbox]
Having a basic first aid kit is the difference between having scrapes and cuts be a minor annoyance and getting your clothing and gear bloody while you find someone to bum first aid supplies from. Splints and slings can be improvised but wound care supplies should be carried in my opinion. A properly cleaned cut heals faster and better. How much does a basic first aid kit for two people weigh? Not much.

Same goes for rain gear. It's not just for rain. Somebody has a serious fall and you need to wait for emergency transport, keeping them warm can keep them from going into shock. Doesn't matter how warm the weather is. If you aren't going to carry rain gear, carry an emergency blanket. It's like an insurance policy, hopefully you never use it, but it's important to have none the less.
[/soapbox]

Teryk

Thanks for you input. I did consider a first aid kit, but minor annoyances don't bother me as much a carrying even a very small first aid kit, I have also had a lot of first aid training, and I can tell you that pretty much any first aid supply can be improvised.

Rain gear to keep some one warm so they don't go into shock? if someone comes flying off their bike the last thing they are going to want to do is be put in more pain, by moving around to get into rain gear, everyone carries sleeping bags that you can just drap over casualties, and a tent fly it its raining. Since I am carrying these 2 items anyway, I think of any reason that I would need to carry rain gear. And just for FYI people only need to be kept warm if they are losing/lost a lot of blood.

Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 08:16:25 AM
mTeryk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 08:16:25 AM »

Thanks for you input. I did consider a first aid kit, but minor annoyances don't bother me as much a carrying even a very small first aid kit, I have also had a lot of first aid training, and I can tell you that pretty much any first aid supply can be improvised.

Rain gear to keep some one warm so they don't go into shock? if someone comes flying off their bike the last thing they are going to want to do is be put in more pain, by moving around to get into rain gear, everyone carries sleeping bags that you can just drap over casualties, and a tent fly it its raining. Since I am carrying these 2 items anyway, I think of any reason that I would need to carry rain gear. And just for FYI people only need to be kept warm if they are losing/lost a lot of blood.
You are right on the rain gear. I wasn't thinking clearly. I carry it on long day rides even with no chance of rain for the reason I described. Wouldn't move somebody to put them in it but it can work as a blanket. I'm a "be prepared" kind of guy though. I also carry a rescue breathing mask in my minimal kit.

Have fun.

Teryk

Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 09:17:29 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 09:17:29 AM »

No rain gear but shaver, tons of batts/charging stuff and 100ml of soap?
IMO u dont need any of that. Juice up while eating, get a little liquid soap each day and carry a bic. It will however rain at least once in 2 months. At least Smiley

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 05:25:12 PM
Allan_333

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 05:25:12 PM »

No rain gear but shaver, tons of batts/charging stuff and 100ml of soap?
IMO u dont need any of that. Juice up while eating, get a little liquid soap each day and carry a bic. It will however rain at least once in 2 months. At least Smiley

As I have already said, It wont be cold enough to need rain gear, so it wont bother me if I am wet, tons of batteries? I don't know what gear list you were reading but my list does have any spare batteries, so all I will have is 2 AA batteries in the charger.100ml of soap I am tossing up if I take 100ml or 50ml (its for 2 people) It is not just for wash my body, but also washing clothes in a sink.

I do plan to charge whilst stopped/eating since every conbini in Japan has power points out the front, but since my bike is Di2 I want some sort of "insurance policy" because if my battery completely dies I cant change gears. Get a little liquid soap each day? where am I supposed to get it from(I plan to stealth camp most nights)?

I wish I could use a little Bic razor, but I find they cut up my face, an electric shaver also gives me the ability to dry shave, and not use a mirror. The battery in it lasts about a month so I am not carrying the charger for it, I will just charge it at the half way point in Tokyo.

Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 09:42:20 AM
brassnipples

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 09:42:20 AM »

Just an observation here, but you asked for advice on what to bring and then rejected every suggestion, much of it coming from some quite experienced travelers.

I'll echo the general sentiment that carrying an electric shaver to avoid minor discomfort seems like an odd choice when you are fine with the idea of dealing with untreated minor/medium injuries if they were to happen.

Anyway, it sounds like you have your setup dialed in for yourself, so good luck and safe travels.

Topic Name: UL gear list, anything I have missed? Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 01:14:53 AM
Allan_333

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 01:14:53 AM »

Just an observation here, but you asked for advice on what to bring and then rejected every suggestion, much of it coming from some quite experienced travelers.

I'll echo the general sentiment that carrying an electric shaver to avoid minor discomfort seems like an odd choice when you are fine with the idea of dealing with untreated minor/medium injuries if they were to happen.

Anyway, it sounds like you have your setup dialed in for yourself, so good luck and safe travels.

right on brassy...

the original post now seems to be most about boast.

still waiting for the one before 334 to backup the claim of "I can navigate around the whole country with my eyes shut, standing on my head, and cycling backwards.."

pictures will help

bom

Sorry if it seems that way, I didn't mean to sound like a cock, or shoot everyone's suggestions down, but I had put a lot of thought into my gear list from my previous experiences before posting it, I just had the mind set that I might be able to get an unique idea from someone about my gear that I would not have thought of. I do appreciate everyone's input though.
  Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: