Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? on: February 13, 2012, 12:48:20 PM
gottabefunky

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2012, 12:48:20 PM »

I'm going to treat myself to a midlife bikepacking adventure. I'd be starting from scratch, but since this would be a once-in-a-lifetime thing, I'm considering throwing out all the stops when it comes to gear.

So if money was no object, what would your ultimate gear setup be? Bike, racks, clothes, tech, you name it - what's the absolute best out there?

Thanks!

Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:08:48 PM
sbear55

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:08:48 PM »

I know what I'd get for a bike.

Kent Eriksen 29er
Full XTR 2x10
Enve/DT240 wheels

I'm new to the bikepacking game but the ordering process with Porcelain Rocket for my bags has been outstanding.

Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 07:05:16 PM
paxton coyote

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 07:05:16 PM »

I've never had the option of "money being no object" but if it was, I'd still settle for a Salsa Fargo like I have but may splurge on the titanium model! I'd love a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag too but that won't happen in my life either!

Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 07:29:43 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 07:29:43 PM »

I've never had the option of "money being no object" but if it was, I'd still settle for a Salsa Fargo like I have but may splurge on the titanium model! I'd love a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag too but that won't happen in my life either!

+1 on the frame and the bag(s)

And a maybe few lighter bits of gear.

I'd spend whats left over and buy airline tickets and ...

Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 06:08:57 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 06:08:57 AM »

Bike: Lenz Leviathan, Rock Shox XX front, Rock Shox with the printed sag reading on the back, 2x9 with ActionTec ti cogs up to 36 in the back, 2x in front with a 20 tooth granny ring, wheels by Mike at lace mine 29, carbon post and bars, grip shift, ergon grips, I like the Terry Liberator seat but that's just me.

A full kit of bike bags by one of the main fabricators, who ever can get them done first, this guys stuff looks good tho Porcelain Rocket .

Sleeping kit: I thought I would want a Neo Air the latest greatest lightest pad out, but then I laid down on one at a store and I don't think I would like it any better then the old Pro light 4. I have the full length version and I think it's worth it for the long haul. Unless your really wanting to be super light and racing I think the extra little bit of weight is worth it.

Bag I have had great luck with my Mountain Hardware Phantom 32. You might get one that's a bit nicer but how much more you'll spend I don't know. I have had mine since 06 and it's getting a little flat, wish I could get a newer one. Would spending the bucks really get you more life if so then it's worth it if not and any bag will loose loft over time go with one that's good enough.

Bivy sack and tarp vs ultra light tent: kinda depends on where you'll want to go. NW and lots of rain and bugs a tent might be nice, SW bivy and tarp is enough.

Pack: I would get another Osprey Talon 30.

Water filter: MSR HyperFlow.

Kitchen: Snow Peak stove and ti pot.

Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 08:32:47 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 08:32:47 AM »

Kind of fun to think about, not realistic for me, but still fun.

Bike:  Something Ti, probably a Moots Softail, if not that then an Erikson ti.
Componentry:  Don't really care, XT drivetrain is good enough (even if money were no object, I want something solid and not super stupid light)
Wheels:  Kings laced to Stans rim

Bags:  Revelate or Porcelen Rocket

Gear:  To each their own, but I would have a cuben tarp for sure with a stupid light yet breathable bivy.
Other than that I'd worry more about the time off/plane ticket to go where I wanted to.  Gear is fun and all, but really the trip itself is what it's all about. 

Have fun dreaming.  If I had the time I would start my year with a full meal deal AZT, then in the summer the CT, then in the fall something like that Virginia Trail.  That to me would be a damn good year of bikepacking.

Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 08:44:46 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 08:44:46 AM »

Yep it's fun to dream big.

Most any good bike will do.

Most any descent gear will suffice.

The trip it self is where the real monetary differences come in.

In 2004 I did the AZT tour on a shoestring. Heavy old gear, cheep beans and rice backpacker meals. It was a grand adventure and I don't regret any of it but.

For the 06 tour I had plenty of cash brand new lightweight gear new bike and lots of good food as well as a room every few days to clean up and keep my body fresh.

Starting with the AZT and then touring on to pick up the Dixie loop and of course CO eventually riding the CT working north in to WY and back down south to round out the year.

Unless one has aspirations of being a world traveler in that case those plane tickets that have been mentioned already. 

Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 06:09:24 PM
mattyp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 06:09:24 PM »

i'd get a moots 29er;  hand built wheels with white industries hubs to stans rims.  i'd go xtr, 30 speed the "trail" version, especially brakes.  everything would be pretty run of the mill aluminum parts, maybe a nice moots ti seatpost.  you can get light, but something that might break or is hard to service would be more of a pain than all the money you put into it; different criteria than a xc bike.  bags, probably what i have or guys i know to make stuff.
+1 on the snowpeak stove and ti pot;  good stuff, canister is easy and works well.
i'd stay with the bivy i have now;  nemo gogo ex;  a little bigger and heavier than a lot of people, but room is nice to change and you could do it like a tarp with the fly only if you wanted, or the mesh bivy if there's bugs and no rain. 
get a couple sleeping bags for different temps;  i've always wanted to get a western mountaineering.
patagucci down sweater.  i think everything is so personal that for a "cost no object" build you are going to go custom for most of your stuff.

Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 08:46:37 AM
Blammo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 08:46:37 AM »

1) Titanium softtail 29er
2) Full frame bags, harness, etc.
3) Be fully competent in working on you own bike
4) Become really good at all aspects of navigating

Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 09:04:10 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 09:04:10 AM »

Make sure that you save a few bucks for changing and upgrading your gear as you learn more about the sport. Now in my third year of bikepacking, I have found that my "ideal" setup is still evolving. Either some new gear comes to market, or I figure out that something else works better--so back to the wallet I go.

"Done"

Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 05:15:48 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 05:15:48 PM »

less gear more plane tickets!

Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 08:28:58 PM
bartspedden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 08:28:58 PM »

First and foremost, I would work with a custom builder and a certified bike fitter that is well respected and wants to help you get the bike/ride of your dreams.  Nuff said.

Dean Duker 29'er frame
Dean Ti stem/bar/seatpost/seatpost clamp
SRAM XO groupo
Fox Talas 32 Terralogic
Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro Wheels
Maxxis UST Tires (trail specific)
CrankBrother Candy 11 Pedals
Hayes Stroker Gram Brakes
Seat??? (never found one I like)
Revelate bags (custom frame/seat/sling/2 feed bags)

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm
~ Siddhartha

Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 11:21:11 AM
Slim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 11:21:11 AM »

It depends a lot on where  and when you are going and what your goal is.

Join backpackinglight.com for reviews and discussions of lightweight camping gear and techniques.

Indeed a well fitting bike is probably the one constant, after that choosing a bike depends completely on the exact trip.

Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 12:13:32 PM
Flounder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »

After much saving, selling off a time trial bike, the arrival of a good excuse (40th B-day), and the nod from my loving wife, I'm actually in the process of building my ultimate system. It's all ordered, being built, or sitting in boxes ready for assembly.

- Form Cycles Prevail, custom titanium 29er hard tail with all the blingy options including Ti seat post. (Being built this very week)
- Rotor 3D cranks, XTR brakes, Chris King headset, (set up as singlespeed)
- ENVE XC rims laced to Chris King hubs
- ENVE bars, Thompson stem, Selle Italia SLR seat

- Carousel Designs bags (from my current bike), seat, bar, and frame bags.
- Osprey Hornet 24 Backpack (weighs nothing)
- Mountain Hardwear Phantom 40 800 fill down bag
- MSR AC Bivy or Nemo GoGo Elite bivy/tent depending on trip conditions. I love them both.
- Thermarest NeoAir, small
- Jetboil Sol Ti (only 8oz total, and my one luxury I won't leave behind. Hot meals and coffee are awesome.)
- SteriPen Adventurer
- Rab Momentum jacket 12 oz
- Garmin eTrex 30 GPS unit

Gonna be sweet. Can't wait. The only thing I'm waiting on is the frame. It can't get here soon enough.

Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 12:16:18 PM
Flounder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 12:16:18 PM »

By the way, I'm fully a believer that any bike will do, just as stated above. Any bike loaded with modest amounts of budget gear will be just as much fun as my out of control accumulation of blinginess. But, sometimes it's fun to own nice stuff, even if just once in a lifetime.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:20:41 PM by Flounder » Logged

Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 04:46:24 PM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 04:46:24 PM »

I keep wanting to type "break down and get a V-22 Osprey for a shuttle vehicle".

OK,  I typed it.   nono

Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 03:27:58 PM
ImAFred

Big B

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 03:27:58 PM »

Mine would be a Ti 29er softail, with full xt/xtr build, king hubs and headset.
Revelate Bags.
Hammock sleep system.
....so I could do the full AZT at a leisurely pace. Starting from the south in the spring and ending in the northern mountains as it warmed. ONE OF THESE DAYS it'll come true!

I dig dirt!

Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 07:20:05 AM
Slim

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 07:20:05 AM »

For me, I like singletrack, and rocky jeep trails, maybe a few fire roads for an easy climb.

My dream bike would be the Stumpy FSR S-Works 29er, with the Brain rear shock and a Fox 34 140 Talas front fork. Some Roval Trails SL Carbon wheels. Command Post Blacklite. Nokon housing throughout. Ragley Carnegie carbon bars with ergo shaped grips. Revelate bag set. 22-33-bash on front X0 crankset, 11-36 XX rear cassette. 8" front rotor, 7" rear.

Lower the front and firm up the Brain for extended climbs and raise it up back up for the descent. Stable steering and ample travel to plow through stuff even with a load, stiff wheels, frame and fork.

Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 07:01:37 AM
Trhoppe

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 07:01:37 AM »

- Moots-X 29er with XT/X0 level 2x10, no need for weight weenie XTR or XX which will not last as long
- Custom bags to fit your bike/gear exactly
- Splurge on things like stupid light weight sleeping gear, blankets, clothes, etc so your load is right.

Probably $10k total for your bike, gear, and trip.

-Tom

Topic Name: Ultimate open-budget bikepacking setup? Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 01:09:33 PM
Flounder

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 01:09:33 PM »

Well, here it is. This is my ultimate bikepacking set up. Just got it all together in the last couple weeks. This replaces a system I've been tweaking for years.

- Form Cycles custom ti Prevail 29er frame and seatpost. PF30 BB. Paragon sliders with optional derailleur hanger
- Enve Composites rims on Chris King hubs
- X.O cranks with awesome RCR Fabrications 32t chainring
- XT Brakes
- Thompson stem and Truvativ bar (I have the Easton EC90SL stem/bar on their now)
- Tangle bag
- Carousel Design seat bag
- Small custom 4 liter bar bag for my sleeping bag.
- Garmin eTrex 30 GPS unit
- Osprey Hornet 24 pack (not pictured)
- MSR bivy, Mountain hardwear Phantom 32 bag, NeoAir 3/4 pad (not pictured)

* formpacksmed.jpg (76.92 KB, 640x432 - viewed 838 times.)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 01:13:52 PM by Flounder » Logged
  Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: