Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Ultralight sleeping bags for a woman or "short" size on: September 16, 2013, 10:50:56 AM
dave

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2013, 10:50:56 AM »

Hello,

I'm trying to help my fiancee find an ultralight down sleeping bag for three-season bikepacking.  Something with a comfort temp rating around 30-35 degrees, let's say.  She's 5'3" and thin.  We've both searched around online but aren't finding a good source for comparing options for women's or "short" bags, or much in the way of recommendations from real-world use.  Ideally, we'd like to find options that are reasonably popular so as to increase the chances of buying one on sale/closeout or on eBay, etc.

I have a Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 that I like.  I see MH makes one called the Phantasia 32--this seems like the type of bag we're looking for.

Can anybody help out?

Topic Name: Ultralight sleeping bags for a woman or "short" size Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 12:12:17 PM
Jay H

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 12:12:17 PM »

You might want to check out Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends, they have some very nice ultralight 3 season (and 4 season) down bags and will custom fill bags upon request.  I have an old WM iriquois 38deg down bag that is great.   and also a 5deg WM Antelope SMF bag for mild winter backpacking. 

I am fairly short myself at 5'5" which is great for sleeping bags as you can fit the lighter short models.

Mountain Hardware Phantom line are good too, I have a Phantom down jacket I use for winter backpacking... Most likely cheaper than the custom bag makers like WM/FF

Jay

Topic Name: Ultralight sleeping bags for a woman or "short" size Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:16:24 AM
bicyclehobo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:16:24 AM »

I bought a Sierra Designs Arrow Rock 30 down bag recently that is warm, under 2.5 lbs and packs down to 16 X 8.

I don't know if that would be too warm or not...I see some good deals for sierra designs down bags on Moosejaw and campsaver...sub $200 down bags.

Topic Name: Ultralight sleeping bags for a woman or "short" size Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 12:04:31 PM
dave

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 12:04:31 PM »

Thanks for the tips.  I checked those out and researched further, and it was a bit sad to see how few options there really are for high-end women's bags. 

I ended up finding a great deal on Geartrade for a Mountain Hardwear Phantasia 32.  Seems to simply be a women's-specific version of the Phantom 32, which I use myself and recommend to people.   Just putting this out there in case any women come along hoping for additional info.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: