Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Weight Distribution on: February 09, 2011, 03:12:14 PM
Jasper_GB

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2011, 03:12:14 PM »

I have done a ton of road tours but am in the process of outfitting my mountain bike for some off road shenanigans.  I have a pretty compact set up and i think i can get away with a dry bag strapped to the bars and a 20L pack for most of my 3-4 day type trips.  My question is; being that i have probably 50-60% of my weight on the bars will it screw the handling up a lot? 

In my road touring experience about 75% of the weight was in the rear and 25% in the front.  I could really feel the 25% up there but it was, obviously, a much tighter geometry than a mountain bike. 

What say you?  Will i be OK?  Should i just nut up and buy a good seat bag?  Or should i just quit over-analyzing everything and go ride my bike in the woods?

Topic Name: Weight Distribution Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 04:49:37 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 04:49:37 PM »

Personally, I don't like having heavy bars or a pack--my arms and back can't take it. But I think you've got it right--you should probably "just quit over-analyzing everything and go ride [your] bike in the woods" to see what works best for you!

"Done"

Topic Name: Weight Distribution Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 04:15:36 PM
DesertDog

Explore and Enjoy!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 04:15:36 PM »

What say you?  Will i be OK?  Should i just nut up and buy a good seat bag?  Or should i just quit over-analyzing everything and go ride my bike in the woods?

Go hit your local trails for a couple-few hours ride and see what you think.  Sure, other riders will think you're a nut, but...welcome to the club!  If the setup needs modification, better to find out now then to be miserable and trying to figure out how to change it on a long trip. 

I really don't like having much real weight on the bars either.  Too poor of handling in my opinion.  I've been riding with nothing attached up front, but will be experimenting with putting my sleeping pad on the handlebars this season.  Very small packed size and will only be about 1lb 3oz total.

I'd be more worried about the backpack weight though.  Not so much back issues for me, but the added weight (and riding hours) puts a hurt on the sensitive areas down below. 

If you need one, you don't necessarily have to shell out the bucks on a seat pack.  You can make a cheap and effective seat pack from a stuff sack and velcro straps.  That's my setup.

Topic Name: Weight Distribution Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 03:47:31 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 03:47:31 PM »

I would try to get a balanced set up if at all possible I like having my sleeping pad on the bars and the rest of my sleeping kit under the seat.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: