Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: What's in the bikepacking bags on: May 09, 2016, 01:43:37 AM
Farawayvisions

View Profile WWW
« on: May 09, 2016, 01:43:37 AM »

What piece of kit goes where, when you travel as a couple. Here's what's in our bags.

http://www.farawayvisions.com/whats-inside-bikepacking-bags/

Topic Name: What's in the bikepacking bags Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 01:01:31 PM
eec

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 01:01:31 PM »

I'm really interested in what everyone is putting where, and why, whether it be a homemade system, manufactured system, or both.

I currently have my bivy and sleeping bag in the seat bag; extra clothes in a dry bag strapped to the bars; tools, jacket, gloves, bivy poles, misc stuff in the frame bag; misc small items, phone, snacks in a top tube/stem bag; 1.5 L bladder on my back.

From what I can tell, almost everyone packs the sleeping gear on the front, with clothes in the back. What's the advantage, if there is one, or is it just personal preference? I have found that even the little bit of extra weight in the front makes the bike's handling much more steady (it's a Salsa El Mariachi), so maybe more weight = more steady?

I'm not new to cycling (road racing background) and not new to backpacking, but I'm new to bikepacking, and I'm setting up with the intention of getting it all nailed down for the TDR next year, and my thinking is that I will be using my bivy/bag WAY more often than my extra clothes, and the homemade strap system I have on the front can be a pain to take on/off.

Anyway, hopefully I'll have my first overnighter this weekend to test everything out.
Cheers!

Topic Name: What's in the bikepacking bags Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 02:58:01 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 02:58:01 AM »

I made all but one piece for my bikepacking bike. When I rode the Tour Divide route a few weeks back, I loaded it like this.

The seat bag is a Rogue Panda Picketpost - In it I put all of my clothing. A spare base layer bottom and top, a silk layer(never used), spare bib shorts, socks, a fleece top, regular shorts, my surly cap and even a can of soup and 2 cans of tuna. Oftentimes anything that would fit went into it. The Picketpost NEVER swayed on me EVER! I rate it an A+.

My homemade frame bag is not waterproof - It held a small dry bag containing tools, small spare parts, cables, etc... and a small ziploc acting as a a small first aid kit. I also fit in there 2 spare tubes (laid out they make good padding), a tire pump, power bars and similar, once or twice a 1 liter soft bottle for extra water, A pack of wet wipes and a few other small items here and there.

My front handlebar roll bag is homemade. It held my tent (which was heavier than I wanted), a Klymit sleeping pad and an Outdoor Essentials 20 degree sleeping bag. My roll bag is a bit tricky to get mounted and use (a bit of a redesign is needed) but it was absolutely rock solid the entire time that I spent on the TD route.

Strapped in front of the roll bag is a 3 compartment mesh apron. One pouch held maps and a flat Werner(long story), the middle held my Delorme InReach unit, and the last was bear spray and waterproof camera.

In the image, you can see my front saddle bags? They are similar to a gas tank, but extend down along the front of the frame bag. They are similar to feed bags. The left side held quick access items. Chamois butt'r, personal necessity items, spare batteries, other small items here and there. The right side held a Romoss battery pack for charging USB devices as well as necessary USB cables. Right between the 2 was a USB Werks unit to control the dynamo charging.

I also had an Outdoor Research lightweight backpack. In it was medications that I might need, rain jacket, a few small bags of trail mix, a soft water bottle once or twice, a Sawyer mini filter. I tried to keep the backpack light.

On my TD ride, I learned things to do and not to do on the way. There were things that were always in the way. A good overnighter for a day or two is a great way to find these things out. Looking back, my gear loadout will change depending on the forecast weather. Dry riding is simple, wet riding adds an extra level of complexity.

Oh yeah, a pair of Croc clones strapped to the seat bag. Light and I can ride my flats with them. Good for crossings where you feet will get wet. I like to keep dry shoes if at all possible.

Topic Name: What's in the bikepacking bags Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 10:12:02 AM
dave

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 10:12:02 AM »

Farawayvisions has a good list.  I would add a few bits of common logic:

Typically, the handlebar bag is much more of a pain to be opening/closing/repacking repeatedly throughout a day, so therefore people often put "camp" stuff in it and only have to open it at night.  It's easier to stash some clothes in the seat bag because it's easier access--although ideally you don't really want to be repacking this often, either, so then you may put things like a rain jacket in a backpack or other easy-access spot.  Also, camp stuff tends to be light and come in long thin packages, so it just fits well up front.

If you're riding roads, then having more weight on the handlebars is fine.  If I am riding only roads, I aim to have a minimum of stuff (or nothing) on my back, because weight on the back causes more fatigue.  However, if you're riding true singletrack, you probably want more of a balance between weight on the bike vs. weight on your back.  It's usually good to focus on keeping the front end/handlebars as light as possible so the bike still handles well and you can wheelie over obstacles, etc.  For my Colorado Trail trip in a couple weeks, I'm putting nothing on the bars but a Tarptent in a homemade lightweight harness.  Even just adding three more pounds up front makes the handling go to crap for me when riding a trail that technical.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: