Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Best Segment of GDMBR in Colorado on: March 24, 2013, 03:59:33 PM
mtncanyon

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2013, 03:59:33 PM »

Hello, I am intrigued by the GDMBR. I got into bikepacking last year, doing an 8 day ride along the C and O Canal and Great Allegheny Passage. I want to try a two day segment of the GDMBR where I live.I'm looking at about 50 miles per day max. In terms of scenery and overall experience which segment in Colorado would you rec comend? I'm considering going from Breckenridge down to Hartsel or beyond, or from Steamboat to Frisco. Any ideas appreciated.. Also, while I'm at it what would you recommend as the best bikepacking you've done in the USA, riding 200 miles or more? thx.... Wink

Topic Name: Best Segment of GDMBR in Colorado Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 06:14:09 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 06:14:09 PM »

Breck to Como is a really nice section, and Salida beyond seems almost silly to miss out on, but South Park can be a little sparse in the landscape and if the wind comes up, it can be both detrimental to your forward motion, as well as your self-esteem.

Steamboat to Kremming is a fun section as well. After that, the road really widens out, and then you're ...9(?) to Summit County, which isn't so fun.  

The 20-ish miles N of Del Norte is fun, as is the Indiana Pass after Del Norte, if you want a really good challenge. Not sure what the truck traffic is or will be, I've always hit it on a Sunday, or at night.

I'd almost suggest making a loop out of it - you could start from Salida, and go to the top of Marshall Pass, and then take the CT down it, back to Salida, or Buena Vista, or go all the way to Leadville. That would be a righteous way to go. You can do some research on the Vapor Trail race route as well. Salida is an excellent homebase for MTB adventures. Making a loop from Steamboat is also very possible.

Topic Name: Best Segment of GDMBR in Colorado Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:19:17 PM
dadana

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:19:17 PM »

Steamboat to Silverthorn is about 125 miles and can be done in 2 days. Add a few more miles and you can stay in Breck. Del Norte over Indiana Pass to Elk Creek can't be beat for scenery. Salida to Marshall Pass to Monarch to Buena Vista would be another good route, short on miles but has some great single track. The GDMBR route may qualify as the best bikepacking in the USA but I am sure there are plenty of routes and opinions out there.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: