Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Best Segments of CO Trail on: May 01, 2013, 02:43:53 PM
TWebb

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »

I am going to try and do a 2 day out/ 2 day back bikepacking trip on the CO trail. I am looking for some input on what segments to hit. Starting/Finishing place is open. Looking for cool scenery.

PS: I am coming from Iowa.

Topic Name: Best Segments of CO Trail Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 03:37:11 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 03:37:11 PM »

I did the segment from Molas Pass into Durango last fall.  It had great views and plenty of nice singletrack.  Also plenty of hike a bike in there too.  The nice thing is you can hitch a ride with Hermosa Tours up to Molas Pass and do a point to point, I think they charged me $20 for the ride up.  The trail distance was around 75mi which is doable in 2 days if you're in decent shape, and there are plenty of places to camp.  You'll have to take into account the elevation and how this will affect your riding.  There are options for a shorter distance if 75mi sounds like too much, and you can also set a base camp and ride some trails off the CO trail if you want to fill more time.  I did it in 2.5 days and was happy with that.  Latitude40 has some good maps which you can order from their site or REI's.  My ride report is here: http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,4857.0.html

I can't speak for any other sections but I have no doubt there are tons of options all along the CO trail.  Have fun, and take lots of pics!

Topic Name: Best Segments of CO Trail Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 10:30:01 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 10:30:01 PM »

The whole trail is beautiful in different ways.  But my personal favorite sections are Molas Pass to home (Durango), or Sections 22/23 from Spring Creek Pass to Silverton (very high altitude, may not be most folks' idea of great riding either).  If you're in good shape and okay with altitude you could do Spring Creek to Durango in four days pretty easily.  I also really enjoy the sections between Copper Mountain and Sargents Mesa.  Really I suppose the only parts I'd recommend against are ones close to the Front Range (pretty blown out) and Sargents Mesa itself (cool but not necessarily something I'd travel 1500 miles for).  Sounds like you'll have fun regardless of what you choose - good luck and enjoy!

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: Best Segments of CO Trail Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 06:19:44 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 06:19:44 PM »

Yep, Joey nailed my favorite parts too. In general, it gets prettier the closer to Durango.

"Done"

Topic Name: Best Segments of CO Trail Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 12:47:05 PM
markm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 12:47:05 PM »

Any suggestions on how to get to spring creek pass from durango or silverton? Is there any shuttle service? Not sure if my sedan can make it over  the lake loop passes from silverton to lake city. I was considering riding up stoney pass from silverton and then heading north on the CT to meet the others in my party a day or so before their start from spring creek pass. Kind of a 2 for 1 deal for sections 22 and 23.

mark

Topic Name: Best Segments of CO Trail Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 07:50:12 PM
Steve_The_Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 07:50:12 PM »

I started my first trip on the trail from the Waterton(Littleton) side and it was gorgeous. This end has the best lead in, being a dirt road to start, but then a serious climb to get up into the valley. Definitely loved that first segment.

You know, Steve The Pirate?
Who's Steve The Pirate?
The only guy on our team who dresses like a pirate!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: