Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Bikepacking the Colorado Trail on: February 02, 2014, 09:06:59 AM
paulww

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2014, 09:06:59 AM »

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum but I am after a little bit of advice on bikepacking the Colorado Trail as it looks an awesome trail! It would be my first long distance bike packing adventure although I did do the Tour of Mont Blanc a couple of years ago. This was almost 100 miles and 25,000ft of climbing over three days and although unsupported I did stay in huts along the way!
(A few details on the trip here [http://paulwestwatson.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/tour-de-mont-blanc-day-1.html] )

Plan A would be to take about 6 weeks of work in July / August. I'd allow a week or so in Colorado to get used to riding at altitude and thinking about 15-20 days to do the route.

What are the options for places to stay / restock along the way? Realise there wont be stops every day and happy enough to camp but would be nice to stay somewhere every few days!

Any pros/cons to doing the route in either direction?

What are the options for getting back to the start with bike?

Thanks a lot for any tips.... As plans firm up I will get the guidebook but the cost of shipping is more than the book:)

Cheers
Paul

Topic Name: Bikepacking the Colorado Trail Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 09:52:03 AM
Flounder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 09:52:03 AM »

There's mass amounts of information on this forum relative to the CT. It's one of the most well traveled routes in NA. I've done the whole enchilada once, but sections of it multiple times. A slow, leisurely pace will put you at 12-14 days. 20 days would be a ton, but would give you time to explore off the route. There's not a ton of opportunity for hotel/inn stays along the route. Those opportunities would only present themselves in Breckenridge, Leadville, Buena Vista and Silverton. For the most part, anyway.

I don't think it would be terribly necessary to spend two weeks getting acclimated. I would just take it easy on those first few days on the route, and you'll be fine.

Regarding the direction, the most popular direction is Denver to Durango. I don't know that it really matters which way you go, although I would prefer not to start in Durango. It would make for a bit of a rude start. Plus, I just love finishing in Durango, and not the megalopolis of Denver. Regarding transportation back, that's always tricky. People rent Uhauls and resort to all sorts of unusual options.

Topic Name: Bikepacking the Colorado Trail Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 06:27:16 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 06:27:16 PM »

Def. go grab the Colorado Trail guide book, and/or the Colorado Trail data book from the Colorado Trail Foundation, that'll answer almost any question about water and resupply, as well as the important bike detours you'll hit along the way.

That and the GPX, and you're set for a really good time. A good number of people were on the trail touring it last year, they all had smiles on their faces.

http://www.shop.coloradotrail.org/Guides_c4.htm

I believe the GPX for the for the CTR contains waypoints that correspond to data in the databook (water!),

http://www.climbingdreams.net/ctr/

Which is mighty helpful. That GPX also has all the bike detours.

If you have a ton of time, there's a terrible amount of things to do in the towns just mentioned, if what you like to do is even more hiking and riding - an obvious side adventure would be to summit Mt. Elbert, while around Leadville! Don't forget to pack enough food between resupply points!

Topic Name: Bikepacking the Colorado Trail Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 04:18:53 AM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 04:18:53 AM »

Anybody who's done the CT know if any Huts are convenient to the trail? I know the trail passes right by Janet's cabin, but being only 7 miles from the relative civilization of Copper, I think you'd be hard pressed to stay there. If there are more huts on the trip, they might be a good option for the OP.

Topic Name: Bikepacking the Colorado Trail Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 06:55:44 AM
Bndst

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 06:55:44 AM »

Theres a CT foundation Yurt somewhere between Spring Creek Pass and Silverton (section 22? 23? I cant remember exactly). Thats the only one Im aware of.

Topic Name: Bikepacking the Colorado Trail Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 12:35:46 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 12:35:46 PM »

Point you to the FAQ provided by the Colorado Trail Foundation:

http://www.coloradotrail.org/faq.html

(second question)

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: