Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Colorado trail first week of August? on: December 12, 2012, 08:27:46 PM
isignay

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2012, 08:27:46 PM »

Are the first 2 weeks of August a good time to attempt the colorado trail....?

Topic Name: Colorado trail first week of August? Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 04:45:49 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 04:45:49 PM »

Yeah a lot of people do the trail during that time frame.

Topic Name: Colorado trail first week of August? Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 03:05:28 PM
TWebb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 03:05:28 PM »

How about July?

Topic Name: Colorado trail first week of August? Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 03:31:11 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 03:31:11 PM »

If you're talking earlier part of July then it totally depends on the snowfall. The rain is pretty much hit and miss but you should plan on daily storms and be happy when you dodge them. Some years we have lots of snow in the higher country but lately it's been dry. I hate to say it but I am hoping for record snowfalls as we need it. The fire situation last summer was stupid and the erosion is out of hand right now plus the trout are very thirsty. It's crazy that it's January and I see very little snow even at 14,000'.

Topic Name: Colorado trail first week of August? Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 01:02:54 PM
Couloirman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 01:02:54 PM »

Im certainly hoping July is doable as well! I am really in a bind here in terms of schedule. I am a third year med student picking out my rotation schedule for next year and doing everything in my power to get August off, but it looks like I will have the month of July off instead. I hate to hope for low snowfall, but I am dying to get back out and conquer this beast over the summer and looks like my only chance will be the last two weeks in July. I will probably have more thunderstorms than I'd have in August, but if it is melted out I might as well go for it. Maybe Ill see you on the trail if you are trying for July too! It's going to be MUDDY I bet...

Was the whole trail rideable in July last year? I know it was a horrendous snow year and that helped but if it was, then maybe this coming July will be melted out too.

Topic Name: Colorado trail first week of August? Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 03:19:58 PM
Highlander

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 03:19:58 PM »

Last year mid June I rode the Great Divide Mountain Bike trail from central Colorado to the NM border. Snow was unfortunately not an issue, and likely would not have been much of one on the Colorado Trail then at least until the San Juans (near Durango). If you ride from Denver to Durango you increase your chances of success, as the higher mountains are closer to Durango. Unless spring storms come in heavy, it is a light year for snow so far. Have a blast!

With abandon,
Patrick

Topic Name: Colorado trail first week of August? Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 09:07:27 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 09:07:27 AM »

July and August are the two best months for the Colorado Trail. Worst case for July early might be some slog-a-bike sections on top of the highest passes if we get some late snow storms. But probably nothing too horrible. August is unconditionally great anywhere in Colorado.

"Done"

Topic Name: Colorado trail first week of August? Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 10:34:38 AM
adamgnewman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 10:34:38 AM »

Would anyone recommend against mid-September? Going to be out there anyway and hoping to ride some the week before Interbike.

Topic Name: Colorado trail first week of August? Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 07:48:47 PM
Steve_The_Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 07:48:47 PM »

I just got down from the first segment and everything looks amazing up there. Bear Creek is little more than a trickle though, so you'll have to make it beyond the initial 10 miles in order to hit a water source if coming from Waterton

You know, Steve The Pirate?
Who's Steve The Pirate?
The only guy on our team who dresses like a pirate!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: