Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: GDMBR Local History -- South Pass, Emigrant trails, South Pass City on: July 22, 2013, 05:35:45 PM
MattL

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2013, 05:35:45 PM »

One of my favorite segments starts after Boulder and wraps up with the ride into South Pass City.  South Pass City is so-called because of South Pass, the lowest point on the divide for many miles, and a key area where many emigrant trails crossed the rockies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Pass_(Wyoming)

While riding here, I recall reading cues mentioning "Lander Cutoff", which I just assumed was the name of some local bypass (cutoff) road.

Hardly.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lander_Cutoff#Lander_Cutoff

Think of how important the Sweetwater River and that pass must have been to folks in wagons or on horses headed west.  Think of how history might have been different with a slight change of geography!  That pass just skirts the Great Divide Basin, but if such a low pass had not been nearby, perhaps we might have had a history of pioneers dying in the basin and a much-delayed expansion into the west.

I finished the 2013 TD.  I did the whole damn thing,
excluding the 2013 detours, in good style and—as
far as I know—totally in accordance with the rules.

Topic Name: GDMBR Local History -- South Pass, Emigrant trails, South Pass City Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 08:05:26 AM
Longtrailahead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 08:05:26 AM »

The entire time I cycled along CDT, I thought endlessly of all those who traveled through the same sections a long time past. Lot's of history for sure!

Topic Name: GDMBR Local History -- South Pass, Emigrant trails, South Pass City Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 04:43:07 AM
Jay H

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 04:43:07 AM »

You'll see some big and ornately decorated trail history on the Oregon trail (and the Lander cutoff) on the route.   Also you can stop by the visitor center and watch a really interesting 15(Huh?) minute video of the history and if you have more time, donate $ to go take the tour of the old buildings. I agree, South Pass City is an interesting stop on the Great Divide.   

So is Atlantic City too but that is a bit more populated than SP City.   

Jay
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: