Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Getting Back into Biking after moving back to Canada on: November 27, 2021, 09:15:13 AM
GeezedBiker

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2021, 09:15:13 AM »

So I recently moved back to Canada after living in the Netherlands for a while and am getting back into biking, at possibly the worst time of year in Atlantic Canada (Winter).

I got my eyes on a vintage road bike just for cost ($135 good shape) and eventually plan on doing some touring when the weather roads allow it. I just am wondering as I eventually plan on getting a gravel/touring bike again what are some general rules for biking in Canada/North America? Seeing as the Netherlands has quite good Bike/Cycle infrastructure it's quite clear cut, however here I find it's less.

Thanks!

Topic Name: Getting Back into Biking after moving back to Canada Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 12:48:47 PM
Veets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 12:48:47 PM »

More detail on what you mean by rules?
We ride on the right side of the road, but I suspect that you have something else on your mind?

Topic Name: Getting Back into Biking after moving back to Canada Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 07:47:48 AM
GeezedBiker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 07:47:48 AM »

Hey! Sorry for the late reply, been busy with work. Perhaps rules wasn't the best term, maybe things like things to keep in mind? I find the cycling here is much different seeing as it's not as "normal" in these parts.

Topic Name: Getting Back into Biking after moving back to Canada Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 06:25:50 PM
Veets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 06:25:50 PM »

Super defensive riding, in my opinion.  Don't ever assume a driver sees you when you're on the road.  I never enter an intersection on the right side of a car - if I can't slip ahead, I slip behind.
Otherwise, for off-road I'm not sure things would be much different for biking.  Maybe marked less than where you've been.
As for camping, I can't compare CA to NL.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: