Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Good beginner bikepacking route - AZ on: January 01, 2012, 01:00:55 PM
Solrider

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2012, 01:00:55 PM »

Hey everyone, I've got a couple of friends looking to do a first bikepacking adventure here in Phoenix.  Both have knee problems so I'm looking for something mild, scenic with low miles that we could do over a weekend.  Maybe 1-2 night max.  I was thinking Flag to Sedona but I've never done that route myself so not sure what it entails.  Any suggestions welcome. 

Topic Name: Good beginner bikepacking route - AZ Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 08:03:00 AM
raybum

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 08:03:00 AM »

Solrider,
I just did my first one on the Black Canyon Trail just north of Phoenix.  This time of year is awesome there and the close proximity to civilization takes some of the risk out.  Check out my blog for the story.  Let me know if you need more info, I can hopefully answer your questions.  http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/2011/12/bct-c2c2c-first-bikepacking-trip.html
BTW, BCT is way too hot in summer if thats when you're thinking.  Head north in that case.  The Flag to Sedona routes are great, but right now, the higher elevation stuff has snow on it or is pretty muddy.
Ray

Topic Name: Good beginner bikepacking route - AZ Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 07:42:59 PM
Solrider

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 07:42:59 PM »

Thanks for the link Ray, I've been wanting to do the BCT but I've been waiting for it to be completed so I can do the whole enchilada one of these days...but I'm still waiting! lol  Maybe I should just break down and do it.

One problem is I have no idea when we will be doing this, could be spring, might not be till summer.  I'd hate to wait that long but my schedule is quickly filling for the spring.   

Topic Name: Good beginner bikepacking route - AZ Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 08:25:28 PM
raybum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 08:25:28 PM »

I think there is work still going on north of Hwy 69, but with 62 miles of trail from hwy 69 south to Emery Hendersen TH, there's plenty to bikepack on for at least 2 days, even more if you do like I did and do an out and back.  If you haven't done a one-way from North to South yet (in one day), it's a really great ride on a phenomenal trail.
After the high temps hit about 90, the southern 35 miles are just far too hot since they are at lower elevation and there is a sort of solar oven effect due to the mountains on each side of the trail.  It just get's plain dangerous out there as the temps go up.
Hope that helps...best of luck!
cheers
Ray

Topic Name: Good beginner bikepacking route - AZ Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 07:51:24 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 07:51:24 AM »

Solrider

Lots of options out there. What kind of mileage do your buddies normally ride. Do they like tech or more cross country riding.

Time of year and weather makes a big difference, great thing is there are lots of options all year.

Will someone on the trip have a water filter. Lots more options if you do, not impossible with out one though.

What kind of bikepacking kit will every one have. It's possible to go with heavy car camping gear just pick a shorter easier route.

BCT is an obvious one but more of a fall to spring option. In the summer the Cabin Loop is good, plenty of water and bail out options, but more of a tech ride with hike a bike.

Flag to Sedona assuming you would do the AZT to start and then follow the Coco 250 course. This is a good one with a couple of down sides. One if it gets muddy on the trail it gets real sticky, two once you leave the AZT its a lot of road miles.

A good winter option would be the AZT north of Oracle. Freeman road to Kelvin 30 miles trending down hill except for Ripsey, you could skip the big hill though.

It's a longer drive but the Kaibab loop or just the AZT up there would be a great summer option.

Tim

Topic Name: Good beginner bikepacking route - AZ Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 02:37:31 PM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 02:37:31 PM »

+1 on the Gila and AZT sections

Topic Name: Good beginner bikepacking route - AZ Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 03:36:53 PM
djlarroc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 03:36:53 PM »

Man, i would love to do an AZ ride sometime. My wife has family there, so maybe one of these days..

Topic Name: Good beginner bikepacking route - AZ Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 12:15:06 PM
LyndaW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 12:15:06 PM »

+1 for Black Canyon Trail. Lots of water resupply points make it easy. Some beautiful camp spots. 3G coverage the entire trail and lots of pick up points if needed.

We did a 2 night, 3 day trip there last March. It was great http://2-epic.com/?p=1510

http://lwcoaching.com/ Mountain bike coaching and training plans.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: