Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Grafton Notch to Rangeley Lake ME on: September 14, 2014, 11:18:03 AM
DESurfer

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2014, 11:18:03 AM »

Anyone toured that area in Maine? Myself and a friend of mine are wanting to do a gravel road tour and looking at my Delorme there seems to be a lot of "unimproved" roads in the Rangeley Lake region. I know some people have trouble with private roads in the interior of the state. If worst comes to worst we'll do a paved road tour. 5-7 days worth. I've always wanted to visit this area. Looks stunning!

I'm a newbie/kook to bikepacking and have become quite obsessed with it. Can't wait to get my Salsa Fargo out there. My list of must sees both domestic and abroad has now grown 5fold.

Topic Name: Grafton Notch to Rangeley Lake ME Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:19:05 AM
HanBanan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:19:05 AM »

Heya!

I was looking through the forum and just came across this post--albeit from a while back!

I lived in Maine for a few years and spent a fair bit of time around Rangeley and the like.

First of all, IT'S INCREDIBLE!!!! So so beautiful and amazing.
One problem you may run into if you're looking to do this in the coming months is the Mud Season--a lot of the landowners will close their roads during that time. I reckon you could make a solid portion of your route, looping around Rangeley to Mooselookmeguntic and Upper Richardson Lakes. Perhaps even starting/ending near Conway, NH, looping around Rangeley then south around the Bridgton, ME area?

-There are also some great places to ride near Baxter State Park, up and around Millinocket--lots of out-of-use and still-used logging roads to adventure on

Sorry for the lack of specifics, I just got so excited about bikepacking in my favorite state!

therockyspine.wordpress.com

Topic Name: Grafton Notch to Rangeley Lake ME Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:44:07 AM
MaineErik

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:44:07 AM »

I've never ridden that area of the state, it's a further drive for me than going to areas near Millinocket or Lincoln for instance.  But I've driven through that western part of the state and it's a beautiful region for sure!  The best looking routes in the Gazetteer are likely those that traverse private logging land, you should check and make sure you are not violating the no-bikes (motor included) in those areas before heading out.

There is another thread in the forum called "Maine" that you should check out - might give you some alternative ideas.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: