Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Hot Sisters Hot Springs Route on: July 05, 2016, 06:51:47 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« on: July 05, 2016, 06:51:47 AM »

This route is ready to go, and Hot Sisters season is here!

We started work on this loop last July, and have just posted full GPX data and more details, after many requests. Mucho singletrack, deep Oregon forests, emerald rivers, 7 exquisite natural hot springs, minimal hike-a-bike, volcanoes, oh my! It's a 460 mile core loop that can be ridden comfortably in 10-14 days. Who wants to be the first to ride it in whole? We would love to see some people out on the route this year and get some feedback. Thanks!

GPX and details:

http://www.bikepacking.net/routes/hot-sisters-hot-springs-route/

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Hot Sisters Hot Springs Route Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 08:27:53 PM
jabantik

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 08:27:53 PM »

where are places where one could park a car for a week or two?

Topic Name: Hot Sisters Hot Springs Route Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 07:37:24 AM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 07:37:24 AM »

Yet another gift to the bikepacking community.  Thanks Scott!  On my list  thumbsup

Topic Name: Hot Sisters Hot Springs Route Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 06:28:35 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 06:28:35 PM »

where are places where one could park a car for a week or two?

That's a good question.  Gary Meyer is volunteering to be a local resource for bikepackers.  He will likely have some good ideas.

I'll ask him and follow up.

I also have a new revision of the main GPX coming, with some edits from Gary, so standby for that.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Hot Sisters Hot Springs Route Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 06:29:00 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »

Yet another gift to the bikepacking community.  Thanks Scott!  On my list  thumbsup

The best reward is people riding the routes... thanks Aaron!

Topic Name: Hot Sisters Hot Springs Route Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 09:23:07 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 09:23:07 AM »

v4 files are posted now.  Still looking into good parking options.  Deschutes Forest office is one idea.  Otherwise I can get folks in touch with locals who probably have room to leave a car.

Topic Name: Hot Sisters Hot Springs Route Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 12:55:57 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 12:55:57 PM »

Parking ideas (this is always a tough one) from friend of the route, Gary Meyer:

1. Ask on bikepacking.net or one of the Fbook bikepacking groups (we can take one car and we have friends that are willing to host car parking)

2. Join warm showers and contact a host that will let you park in front of their house.

3. Stay a night in a hotel and ask to park in their lot (most are willing to do this if they have a large lot).

4. Park in the long term parking at Redmond airport (this one in my view is not a real option).

That said there are always people parking in neighborhoods and rarely do you see cars get ticked or towed, I checked with the cop shop and there is a 72 hour parking rule.  Just don't park in a fancy neighborhood where someone is likely to call. I DO NOT recommend parking at a trail head as they seem to be having vandalism issues last and this year.

Topic Name: Hot Sisters Hot Springs Route Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 07:06:14 AM
Norb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 07:06:14 AM »

Thanks Scott for the great intel and details/photos of this route.

It really looks like a fun loop and you can't go wrong when a ride starts and ends in Bend, OR.

It's on my list, for sure.

“The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable.”
― Charles Bukowski

Topic Name: Hot Sisters Hot Springs Route Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 09:08:56 AM
seedub

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 09:08:56 AM »

(Forgive me if this is a duplicate. I thought I posted, but it doesn't show up)

Just finished the route on Sunday night 08/14/16 at midnight. I know - Mrazek in the dark with lights and a headlamp... what a waste eh? But my allotted time to complete the route was slashed by a third while taking a rest day in Diamond Lake, plus had a hard commitment crop up on Monday. 13 days with one rest day in there.
I deviated a few times, some by accident (but turned out awesome) and some on purpose (NUT- Poison Oak Paranoia and time constraints). I tried to compensate the skipping of singletrack by putting in long miles/days in the saddle, and have a case of baboon butt to prove it (pics available upon request)
I was riding a Surly Krampus with the full Revelate ensemble (of varied generations) packed really heavy. For instance I was carrying six days of food as I had planned to find a nice high mountain lake and park it for awhile - never happened. I found the high mountain lakes alright - but time constraints killed that plan. I carried a one person tent 'cuz I was on vacation dammit! I carried an Ipod, big camp knife, too many spare underwear (wool really is awesome) flask of whiskey, and a small jar of peanut butter/honey. Consequently it appears I HAB much more than Scott and Estzer. In Oakridge I shipped six pounds of sh-tuff home, and still had more than I needed.
The down trees. Yes. You'd think it was the opening montage of Arnold Schwarzenegger in Conan The Barbarian pushing the mill bar around in circles and getting bigger and bigger... lifting the over-packed Krampus hundreds of times (not an exaggeration) over downed trees on M-W and the top section of NUT.
The Santiam Wagon Road? "Vous êtes des assassins! Oui, des assassins!" (google it)

I think my favorite was the Echo Trail from the backside of Cougar Reservoir (the back route around misses the springs but is a fun 4X4 road) which leads to the very very fun Kings-Castle trails down in to the McKenzie River. Uphill effort on an oft-ignored trail carved out of the mountainside, followed by the buff contour following Castle Mountain, finished off with the Kings downhill (where I crashed having too much fun on a loaded bike)
I didn't do any hot springs or mountain climbs, just peddled my bike. It was always hot out, not much attraction for me to soak in a hot tub - I did dip in lake or stream nearly every evening with the exception of the dry-camp bivouac here and there, and sometimes dipped in the middle of the day. The cool-down wash-up was very attractive to me. I guess I'm just not the soaker type.

Thanks to the Willamette Mountain Mercantile bike shop in Oakridge for above-and-beyond service to get me back on the road with a minor (but important) gear failure. Exciting things happening in Oakridge around bikes - worthy!
Had a blast! so glad you posted this up Scott. I only met one other riding it, Allen, and am curious how it went. Met a few riders on the Three Sisters Three Rivers route but saw the tracks of many more.
Any particular questions anyone has I will try to help. The one offered advice - Plan water carefully when on the east side... running out an adventure makes. I now know that. Pic attached is in the middle of that experience.
I stored my vehicle at an RV storage business. The price charged me was $45/month at 9th Street RV Storage Center, and they literally squeezed me between two other tenants. They were the only one to even consider fitting me in, all the others I called were full.

http://www.9thstrvstorage.com/

Humbly,
Cam.

* 20160803_142814 (1280x720).jpg (700.92 KB, 1280x720 - viewed 505 times.)

Topic Name: Hot Sisters Hot Springs Route Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 03:32:53 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 03:32:53 PM »

Nice, thanks for the report!  Glad to hear you made the loop and saw another rider out there, too.

A rest day at Diamond?  Well played.  Hopefully pizza and ice cream were involved.

Santiam Wagon is a one massive HAB of the route -- the highway is there as a bailout, but it's not that great of a ride, either. 

Good tip on water on the east side -- it is indeed dry over there.  And also on the RV storage -- definitely a car will be safe there.

Question -- what trails were most of the down trees located?  By this late in the season a lot has been cut out, but I'd be curious what hasn't been hit yet.

Congrats on finishing it up, and again, thanks for the post.  Perhaps we will hear from Allen, too.

Topic Name: Hot Sisters Hot Springs Route Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 10:26:20 PM
seedub

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 10:26:20 PM »

Aye, rest day at Diamond was nice. The showers at the main campgrounds are awesome, and unlimited, and free (suggested donations only) and owned by us taxpayers. Money well spent. Pizza indeed, plus the game burger at Diamond Lake Resort was really really good too. Elk!

My experience for down trees were the Metolius-Windigo from Oldenberg Lake (where I rejoined the route after pushing my bike up Windy Lakes Trail (50), and then down Summit Lake Trail (46) which was also full of down trees) to Windigo Pass. The first section of NUT from FR 700 to Lemolo Lake was completely demolished by down trees. I thought I was wussing out, but meeting other route rider Allen at Lemolo Lake dam re-assured me it was too much.
From Lemolo down I assume was fine after speaking with some runners who'd just come up.

I would rather push my steel machine up sand mountain than ride on that highway, or any busy highway. The clown-cycles breaking my eardrums and diesel pickups gassing me a-purpose suck. Had to ride 6 miles of highway 126 around the Blue Pool section of MRT due to fire closure wasn't a lot of fun for me. Happy to shove and carry up the lava trail alongside Sahalie Falls.

Cam.

Topic Name: Hot Sisters Hot Springs Route Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 09:00:18 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 09:00:18 AM »

Yeah, agreed on pushing vs. highway riding.  Bummer on the fire closure.

Speaking of fire, there was one on that upper section of the NUT to Lemolo Lake.  I bet that is the cause of all the trees.  Those few miles were actually closed during our ride.

The moto nature of the Big Lake area is unfortunate, but luckily the rest of the route is pretty dang moto-free, which I'm happy about.

Once again, thanks for the feedback!  Really glad to hear you liked Echo/King Castle as that was a deviation from our route (thanks to Gary) to make it more reasonable / fun.

Cheers!

Topic Name: Hot Sisters Hot Springs Route Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 09:58:04 PM
metalartgate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 09:58:04 PM »

I know the trail clearing crews have been working hard this year over on Upper Bunchgrass which year before last looked like it had not been cleared in 5 years. It took me 6 hours to cover 11 miles pushing through thick brush and heaving over massive logs .

Nice, thanks for the report!  Glad to hear you made the loop and saw another rider out there, too.

A rest day at Diamond?  Well played.  Hopefully pizza and ice cream were involved.

Santiam Wagon is a one massive HAB of the route -- the highway is there as a bailout, but it's not that great of a ride, either. 

Good tip on water on the east side -- it is indeed dry over there.  And also on the RV storage -- definitely a car will be safe there.

Question -- what trails were most of the down trees located?  By this late in the season a lot has been cut out, but I'd be curious what hasn't been hit yet.

Congrats on finishing it up, and again, thanks for the post.  Perhaps we will hear from Allen, too.

Topic Name: Hot Sisters Hot Springs Route Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 02:28:11 PM
jabantik

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 02:28:11 PM »

This is Allen. Cam, I saw your note at the NUT trailhead - thanks!~

I just got home. I rode the basic loop, with the following exceptions:
At the first bit of the North Umpqua Trail, I crosscountried to the highway when the trail was close to the highway. The fallen trees were a bit much there. I rejoined the route at Lemolo Lake.
I skipped the North Umpqua Trail between the hot springs and Clearwater. The .gpx is my only means of navigation and my phone was dead. I took the highway to Clearwater and charged my phone at the restaurant.
I detoured around the Blue Pool. The Mckenzie River Trail was closed for a bit due to fire. I'm not happy about this. The fire was out and the highway was full of trucks towing boats and campers and junk.
I skipped the Sisters Tie trail after Black Butt. It was getting a bit late and I wanted a burger and a motel room in Sisters.

I'll write more on this trip later, after I sort through my pics and gear and clean up a bit.

Topic Name: Hot Sisters Hot Springs Route Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 08:28:21 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 08:28:21 AM »

Allen -- good to hear from you.  Glad to hear of another successful trip on the route!

For others that might be heading out, a rider named Albert reports that a few resupplies are now closed.

Here's his comment:

Great route--rode it starting out of Oakridge earlier this month. A couple of key resupply updates:

1. Lemolo Lodge burned down in June! No restaurant, and minimal resupply at the store.
2. Dry Creek Store/Restaurant is closed.
3. Suttle Lake Lodge had a sign reading "Opening Soonish."

Topic Name: Hot Sisters Hot Springs Route Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 07:18:25 AM
wileydavis

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 07:18:25 AM »

Two of us will be doing this route starting on the 12th of this month (or at least as much as we can do in seven days).

Topic Name: Hot Sisters Hot Springs Route Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 07:22:37 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 07:22:37 AM »

Fantastic!  Fall should be beautiful out there.

Please let us know how it goes and any feedback you may have.

Topic Name: Hot Sisters Hot Springs Route Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 12:05:52 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 12:05:52 PM »

Our friend Martin rode half of the route, including the 'high adventure' McCredie alternate, and has shared some nice photos in the form of a video here:

https://vimeo.com/182224799

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: