Pages: 1 [2] 3
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #20 on: July 18, 2015, 11:26:33 PM
cjdunn

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2015, 11:26:33 PM »

Ha! Bear Valley was my least favorite part.  Flat wash board road in a lodge pole forest with lots of traffic.  My favorites were Hailey to Cape Horn, Farm to Market Rd., Featherville to Ketchum.

If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough.

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 07:14:59 AM
KungFuBykRide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 07:14:59 AM »

Pack it out, bury it, but please don't burn it in this dry weather: http://www.kgw.com/story/news/local/2015/07/23/blm-pooping-cyclist-started-foothills-fire/30584071/.

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 01:16:27 PM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 01:16:27 PM »

When we went thru Bear Valley, the road was good. We spent the night where the salmon count was going on. Talked to the fellow running it. Watched him tag fish , camped by the river, had a bath. Perfect. On the way out, we got talking about cheeseburgers. Crested a pass and on the far side was a hunting lodge. On a whim we stopped and asked about lunch and he cooks us burgers . Just a good time

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 05:48:23 PM
Bob W

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 05:48:23 PM »

2 friends and I rode from McCall to Featherville earlier this month. What a great ride!!!! The scenery is awesome. Gotta find time to get back and do the remainder of the route sometime. Be sure to stop in at the bar/motel/restaurant in Featherville, the owners are great!

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #24 on: July 26, 2015, 07:10:12 PM
JReeves

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2015, 07:10:12 PM »

A buddy and I are heading up in two weeks to tackle this route...  Planning on the full loop with one or two of the single track options added on.  Pretty lax timeline, looking to fish and enjoy ourselves along the way.
With that, I have several questions for those of you that have been up there recently...
-First off, bugs!  What is the mosquito situation like this time of year up there?  I typically opt for a bivy and tarp, but have some other enclosed options(read- heavier) if the bugs are thick.
-And secondly, does anyone have any insight as to where I could park a truck in Crouch for a period of time?  I dug around a bit in the 2014 thread, but couldn't pick out any definite answers. 

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 11:07:05 AM
KungFuBykRide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 11:07:05 AM »

When we did this earlier in the year, we parked a car in Crouch at the Wander Inn and made sure to leave an extra key in case they needed to move it for any reason.  We also stayed there our first and last nights, so Maggie was more than happy to let us do so!  There was a lot of parking by the Dirty Shame Saloon so it might be worth it to see if they might let ya park there as well if you aren't planning on staying in Crouch at all.

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 05:49:53 PM
Bob W

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 05:49:53 PM »

We stayed at the Wander Inn. Very friendly folks there.

Bugs and mosquitoes were not much of a problem in early/mid July.

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 09:36:32 AM
caseygreene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 09:36:32 AM »

If anyone wants to ride the White Clouds Singletrack Option, now would be the year to do it.

Wilderness will almost certainly be passed in the next few weeks shutting down the most stunning landscape on the entire route, and some of the best backcountry riding in the country.

Super easy form to contact your Senator to vote against: http://www.peopleforbikes.org/page/speakout/idaho-mountain-biking

Sad, frustrating times...

On another note, the weather in the Northern Rockies has been superb with low temps and plenty of moisture.

Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 12:57:03 PM
caseygreene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 12:57:03 PM »

The President will sign the Wilderness bill into law next week. Below are the sections that will be permanently closed to being "in possession of a bicycle" on the White Cloud Singletrack Option.
The timeline for the closure is hazy. I'll will post more when I know more.

* WCwildernessBig.jpg (264.41 KB, 1000x1000 - viewed 848 times.)

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #29 on: August 05, 2015, 08:24:01 PM
Yagi

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2015, 08:24:01 PM »

The President will sign the Wilderness bill into law next week. Below are the sections that will be permanently closed to being "in possession of a bicycle" on the White Cloud Singletrack Option.
The timeline for the closure is hazy. I'll will post more when I know more.

Do you think it could be closed within the next month, Casey?  I'm unfamiliar with public land-closure timelines.  Reason being, a buddy and I are planning on riding the lower loop of the route in early-mid September, and this portion of singletrack is one of our main objectives.  Probably hard to speculate, but I'm still interested to know what you think.

Thanks for all your hard work and updates!  Looking forward to riding/HAB'ing the hell out of this route soon.

Steve

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #30 on: August 06, 2015, 10:26:07 AM
caseygreene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2015, 10:26:07 AM »

It is fuzzy, but I will post more when i know. Hopefully within the next few days.

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 02:47:02 PM
caseygreene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 02:47:02 PM »

We have not determined what the routing changes will be when the bill becomes law. The one favored by yours-truly is to not change any routing...

There would be around 15 miles of total packbiking as shown above. Of course we would have to run this by the managing agency, and get the support of Wilderness groups.

Thoughts welcomed.

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #32 on: August 10, 2015, 06:45:18 AM
MRad

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2015, 06:45:18 AM »

I heard there is something like a 10-day grace period before these trails are officially closed to bikes. Signs marking the Wilderness boundary should be going up in the next month or so. So sad, such a shame. I agree Casey, you should not alter the route just because of this closure.

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #33 on: August 11, 2015, 08:29:05 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2015, 08:29:05 AM »

Heading out today from Ketchum!  Sounds like we may see some other folks out there.

http://trackleaders.com/idhotsprings

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #34 on: August 11, 2015, 09:46:03 PM
idahospud

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2015, 09:46:03 PM »

-does anyone have any insight as to where I could park a truck in Crouch for a period of time?  I dug around a bit in the 2014 thread, but couldn't pick out any definite answers.  

I read on the 2014 thread that the Garden Valley RV Park would allow parking your vehicle for a nominal fee like one or two bucks a day. They are located a few miles east of Crouch near the RV storage lot. So if the Wander Inn is full, check out the RV park.

http://gardenvalleyrv.com/index.html

There are a couple other RV parks practically downtown (Starlight, Riverpond) you could also check with them. Someone mentioned parking at the Dirty Shame Saloon. I would caution against that because their lot is frequently full and who would want to park their car near people who have been drinking?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 03:09:17 PM by idahospud » Logged

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #35 on: August 16, 2015, 10:28:40 AM
JReeves

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2015, 10:28:40 AM »

Just got back a couple days ago from 6 days out exploring Idaho.  I can't speak highly enough of this route!  I couldn't free up enough time to enjoy the whole route so I met up with my friend Casey just West of Stanley, and we rode the last 300 miles together.  For anyone on the fence about getting out and seeing Idaho...  Just do it!
I left my truck at RiverPond RV Park in Crouch, after talking to the camp host George who said it wouldn't be a problem at all; nice guy!
I did make the mistake of tackling the climb up FS 555 right away on my first day from Crouch and made for a long first day of 65 miles and 7,800' of elevation gain.  I'd probably opt for Bear Valley Road next time.

Here's a few of my takeaways to those heading up there:

-Bugs weren't bad at all.  I was concerned that being near water the entire time would make for clouds of mosquitos, but really only had one bad camp with them.  I carried a single wall shelter(Golite Shangri La 1) and would do the same again.

-Weather is all over the place.  Had a couple nights down into the upper 30's(frost in camp), and then highs over 100 on our last day.  Sun, rain, thunder, one really windy day.  Also a little thrown off with how light it is even at 10pm.  Made it hard to get to bed much before 11pm each night.

-Water everywhere!  Coming from Nevada, the driest state in the country, I have a habit of hoarding water on the bike, and started my first day with 3.5L on the bike.  I quickly learned that was unnecessary.  By day two I was content carrying 2 liters at the most.  Literally water seeping out of the ground along the roadside every 10 miles it seems.  We swam in over 20 lakes/rivers/streams, and soaked in several hot springs.

-Hot springs...  By far, the highlight of the trip hot spring wise Pine Burl.  We setup camp in the Boiling Springs Campground, and rode our unloaded bikes up the trail to Moondipper and Pine Burl.  The ride is a little bush-wacky, and you have to ford the river twice, but I think that is partially what made the place so special.  16 Mile was pretty nice as well.

-Fishing...  I packed a Tenkara rod, and caught a ton of fish in just about every body of water we stopped at.  A bunch of little rainbows and some healthy Whitefish in the S. Fork Salmon!

-Food/Drinks.  We made a vacation out of this and stopped along the way for beers and food when they were available.  Had a nice long lunch during the heat of the mid-day sun at Warm Lake Lodge, nice people, good burger, and cheap beers!  

-Roads.  I was pleasantly surprised at the road conditions.  I'm used to Nevada dirt roads, which can be pretty gnarly.  The roads on the route are smooth, and fast!  30 minute like descents after every climb means you couldn't help but to be smiling.  There are some washboard sections, but overall, I was amazed at how great they were.  I was also surprised by the random sections of pavement seemingly in the middle of nowhere.  Not disappointed by them, in fact some of those stretches were the most memorable.  That descent off of Warm Lake Summit was so rad!!!  One of the best roads I've ridden!  I'd love to ride that on my road bike sometime, as it felt like a road you'd find in the French Alps.

-Singletrack.  Don't bother... ha.  My buddy rode(aka pushed) the Willow Creek section, sounded miserable, took him two days...  We then tried to ride the Eagle's Nest section, which we heard was the most rideable.  We bailed after the 4 mile point when it crosses the main route.  Took us over 2 hours to go 4 miles.  I think the recent rains have taken a toll on the trails, as they were really washed out and loose.  I love single track, but even the rideable portions just aren't as enjoyable on a loaded bike.  And even the descents are hard to enjoy when the memory of carrying your bike over rocks and logs is still so fresh in your mind.

-Bike choice.  I don't think I'd change much from my setup.  I ran my rigid titanium 29er, with 2.35" Maxxis Ikons.  It seemed like overkill heading up there, but for the additional comfort afforded by some cushy tires, it more than made up for the little bit of speed you might gain on some flat pavement sections.  I wouldn't ride the route on anything less than a 2.0 tire, although my friend encountered some people on Long Haul Truckers early in his route.  It's definitely doable, but wouldn't be my choice.  Drop bars would be nice, but my Jones bars were comfy the whole time.

Didn't see many people on the route, although we ran into a group of six Colorado guys, some of who I'm sure are on this board, stocking up on beer before making camp in Cascade.  Several were on fat bikes, others on Krampus's, most with J Paks kits.  It's always cool to see like minded people out there!

I can definitely see getting back up to Idaho to explore some more!  Beautiful place!
-Jesse

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 06:39:37 AM
bikee

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 06:39:37 AM »

Thanks everyone for your comments, especially JReeves. I'll be heading up this weekend, starting Fri or Sat going CCW from Ketchum. Looks like the temps are more reasonable, low 80s and mid/low 40s most of the way. I just might take up fishing.
What's a good beginner set up. Don't expect to fish with flies. Will a spinner rod work? What lures?
Thanks again.

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #37 on: August 27, 2015, 11:46:26 AM
jabantik

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2015, 11:46:26 AM »

Thunderstorm last night washed out about half a mile of road west of Dollar hide summit near Skeleton Creek, about 5 miles east of Baumgartner. Don't count on going that way anytime soon

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #38 on: August 28, 2015, 02:38:45 PM
jabantik

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2015, 02:38:45 PM »

I guess I should add you can detour around this on the pine-Featherville road, high prairie road, and highway 20. And the word at the Elephant's perch is that they rolled out the white clouds closure and have started issuing tickets

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route - 2015 Reply #39 on: August 30, 2015, 08:15:53 AM
bikee

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2015, 08:15:53 AM »

Thanks for the heads up.
  Pages: 1 [2] 3
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: