Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail Questions on: April 11, 2011, 11:44:35 AM
Von Petrol

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2011, 11:44:35 AM »

I will be doing a cross-country west to east bicycle tour on my 29’er this spring. I want to do the Kokopelli’s Trail over four days. The plan is in Moab to ship all un-needed items ahead to Grand Junction. I have done much intel gathering and have Scott’s GPS info, my two questions is this:
1) Can I buy the trail map in Moab?
2) Water only seems "maybe" available at  a remote camp between Moab & Dewey Bridge & Westwater Ranger Station?

Thanks
Colen

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail Questions Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 02:29:06 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 02:29:06 PM »

I'll be attempting a fast (for me, anyway) through-ride in late May, so I'll let you know what I find in the way of water. Or perhaps you'll get out there before me, at which point maybe you can help me out? There are a number of blogs and forums on the webz that discuss this, but many of them are a little thin on specifics. I've got a plan that should keep me from turning in to jerky before I hit Grand Junction, but hopefully somebody with experience will chime in and offer something more concrete!

"Done"

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail Questions Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 07:38:17 AM
Von Petrol

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 07:38:17 AM »

Sounds good Toby. My departure date is set back for some work that came up. Hoping to be in Moab by middle of May.

I will be leaving from my home in So-Cal through the Mojave Preserve and around Las Vegas. In Utah to Gooseberry Mesa, Coral Pink Sand Dunes S.P., east on the 89 to Cottonwood Canyon Road, Kodachrome S.P., up the 12 to the Burr Trail, Cedar Mesa, and finally the Valley of the Gods to Moab.

Maybe with some luck we will run into each other.

Colen

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail Questions Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 07:36:14 AM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 07:36:14 AM »

Hi, I'm planning on a tour of Kokopelli during the last week of April.  Does anyone who has done this trail know if I will be able to find any water to filter between Dewey Bridge and Moab?  It looks like the trail crosses Onion Creek up high, maybe water there?  Are there any other small streams?  It seems like there should be at least something draining off the La Sals!

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail Questions Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 09:55:01 AM
frejwilk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 09:55:01 AM »

A couple of answers for different questions here.

Colen, The best option for a Kokopelli map is to bring both the Latitude 40 Grand Junction map and Moab East map. Between the two, you'd have the whole route. In May you should be able to find water at several spots between Moab and Dewey Bridge. Likely water sources include Castle creek, Fisher Creek, Hideout, Cottonwood Canyon.

Water between Dewey and Loma is available at the Westwater ranger station and Salt Creek before Troybuilt trail. There is the Colorado river of course. Someone camping out there might consider letting Colorado river water settle overnight and filter off the top.

Definitely don't drink water from Onion Creek.

Late April (this week?) might be early for a full Kokopelli. Shuttles were starting to drop riders off to ride the Kokopelli trail between the LaSal loop rd and Moab this week. But it's raining in Moab and likely snowing in the LaSals right now. I heard a Rocky Mountain Power truck got stuck in the mud on Fisher Mesa last week. Definitely check with USFS before riding up there this week.

FW

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail Questions Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 10:21:36 AM
Von Petrol

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 10:21:36 AM »

Thank you frejwilk for the information.

Colen

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail Questions Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 11:58:09 AM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 11:58:09 AM »

Thanks for the info.  I was actually asking about water between dewey and moab, not between dewey and loma.  Any info on that section? 

I guess if we get stopped by snow/mud we'll alter course.  I'll report on conditions when we're done. 

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail Questions Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 04:17:48 PM
frejwilk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 04:17:48 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I was actually asking about water between dewey and moab, not between dewey and loma.  Any info on that section? 

I should have spelled things out a little clearer I guess. I described water sources on the rest of the route since there were different folks asking questions on the thread.

Again, likely sources of water between Moab and Dewey bridge are Castle Creek, Fisher Creek, Hideout, and Cottonwood canyon. Although this week, I suspect you can just dip your filter in the water running alongside the road most of the way at higher elevations.

Good luck,

FW

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail Questions Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 07:32:24 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 07:32:24 AM »

Thanks FW!

"Done"

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail Questions Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 10:09:10 AM
bogdandumitrescu

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 10:09:10 AM »

I am looking at biking the Kokopelli trail the first weekend of Obtober.

Where can i get a GPS track of the kokopelli trail ?

ANd where can i find people to join me ? Thanks

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail Questions Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 10:29:05 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 10:29:05 AM »

Where can i get a GPS track of the kokopelli trail ?

http://tobygadd.blogspot.com/2012/11/kokopellis-trail-gpx-track.html

"Done"

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail Questions Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 09:16:44 AM
bogdandumitrescu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 09:16:44 AM »

this is awesome, thanks
Too bad i just found out that AMTRAK train had some issues because of the flooding and the trains to grand junction are suspended
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: