Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Looking for something like IHS Route on: January 14, 2016, 09:28:02 PM
cjdunn

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2016, 09:28:02 PM »

I did the Idaho Hot Springs main route with my family last summer in 12 days and we had a great time so my wife is wanting to do something similar this summer.  I'm looking for a similar route.  Not too much HAB, not much pavement, nice scenery, backcountry touring kind of thing with interesting little towns along the way.  Any historical sites along the way also makes it more attractive.  Recommendations? 

If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough.

Topic Name: Looking for something like IHS Route Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 05:28:55 AM
Ferg

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 05:28:55 AM »

I know this is off your topic a bit and I hope you don't mind a question about the IHS route.  I'm planning to do the route this year or next but I know I won't have time for the entire 500+ miles. This leaves me with doing either the northern or southern loop using the Lowman cutoff.   If you had to choose which would it be?  I have a fair amount of experience with this type of riding, I've done about 1800 miles of the GDMBR.

Thanks,
Glen

Topic Name: Looking for something like IHS Route Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 11:02:47 PM
cjdunn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 11:02:47 PM »

If you are going when it is hot I'd do the northern loop.  It was hitting well over 100 in the southern parts when we were there.  Otherwise either part is beautiful and fun. The Lowman cut off would suck going from W-E though.  Uphill and slow all the way and I think there is a lot of traffic on it especially on weekends.

If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough.

Topic Name: Looking for something like IHS Route Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 07:48:10 PM
idahospud

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 07:48:10 PM »

Consider any of the Backcountry Discovery Routes. These have been developed with adventure motorcycling in mind but many of them would be suitable for bikepacking.   www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com  then click on ROUTES. They do not use singletrack. You would need to determine your resupply points. They provide routes but I don't think they provide any printed info on camping or food.

In their ABOUT section, note that for each route that have a full-length documentary DVD, paper maps and GPS tracks.

You can also read ride reports on all the routes by searching the ADVRIDER forum. www.advrider.com/index.php  Search in Ride Reports or Regional Forums for the routes by name such as ORBDR for the Oregon route.

We did about half of the routes in Oregon a couple years on our dual sport motorcycles. It was great. You could create a loop.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 07:59:05 PM by idahospud » Logged

Topic Name: Looking for something like IHS Route Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 06:44:12 AM
Rooster Cogburn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 06:44:12 AM »

How about this?
http://www.bcepic1000.com/#!route-map/lvx6l

Tomorrow I'm heading up there to do a section of the route.  I like the idea of riding on mostly rail trails and not dealing with cars.  Best part? -- its Canada.

Topic Name: Looking for something like IHS Route Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 07:35:32 AM
idahospud

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 07:35:32 AM »

I had started mapping/researching that route a couple years ago. This will fill in all the gaps.

Thanks!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: