Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Mongolia bikepacking? on: July 29, 2016, 12:09:39 PM
Aurora

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2016, 12:09:39 PM »

I am dreaming and scheming for a 3-4 week bikepacking trip in Mongolia next summer.
Whatcha got?

Since I am 11 months out, I haven't really started much research, but would love to hear what people know, resources, etc.

Thanks!

Topic Name: Mongolia bikepacking? Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 04:40:01 PM
black_labb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 04:40:01 PM »

Quite a lot of information on www.advrider.com on mongolia. There was an interesting trip report there a couple years ago of a group who bought cheap local motorbikes and followed mainly herding tracks (so probably non technical single track) just following valleys on the contour map and asking locals to confirm that the track kept going. There are of course a number of rough unsealed roads through Mongolia to ride as well. 

Topic Name: Mongolia bikepacking? Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 01:07:03 AM
Texmex

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 01:07:03 AM »

Planning a solo ride or with a group?  I've got the bug for a serious trip, (I did two weeks in Alaska in a packraft in 2015) and Mongolia is my current focus.  I like the combo of open camping opportunities, vast landscapes, and possibly some good fly fishing along the way.  Unfortunately, all of my friends that are willing to go aren't able to, so I'm thinking of a solo trip. 

Topic Name: Mongolia bikepacking? Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 10:28:34 AM
munky

What the hell is going on out there?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 10:28:34 AM »

There was a great bikepacking movie from ~10 years ago called Asiemut. The movie is about a couple who were Canadians and rode their bikes from Ulan Bataar to the Bay of Bengal. It  might be worth checking out. Have fun out there! It's always been on my dream list of places to explore.

Roll the Earth
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: