Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Monongahela National Forest - Big Tour on: January 14, 2012, 04:45:28 PM
batty

Base Camp - Southwestern PA

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2012, 04:45:28 PM »

Planning to do a 9-10 day tour of the "Mon" this summer (early July).  I've been reading the posts (past/present) about eastern bikepacking loops and wish I had found this site earlier.  It is awesome that there is a growing interest.  I've been doing 2-3 day tours in West Virgina and Pennsylvania for about 5 years, but always had an interest in doing more of an epic tour.  Well, after hearing about the Virginia Mountain Bike Trail (Chris Scott and crew), I figured it is time to stop dreaming about an epic tour and actually do one.  

My plan is to start/finish at Blackwater Falls SP.  Head through Blackwater Canyon, to Allegheny Highlands Trail, follow Shavers Fork, climb up and over to Bemis, take the West Fork Rail Trail, climb Snowshoe, descend into Elk River Touring (Tea Creek Trails), roll through the Cranberry Wilderness area into Richwood, head south to Falling Spring and the Greenbrier River Trail, through Watoga State Park to Lake Sherwood, ride along the WV/VA border, drop into Seneca State Forest, through Green Bank to Spruce Knob, drop into Seneca Rocks, climb up to (more like push) the North Fork Trail, head northwest into Dolly Sods, drop into Canaan Valley and then back into Blackwater Falls SP. The route is a mix of everything (dirt road, rail trail, trail and pavement) but mostly a dirt surface.  Should be riding about 30-50 miles a day, with at least one food drop or refilling stop.

I'm going to do one more weekend of reconnaissance this spring but otherwise I've done most of this route in some format.  Anyone with an interest and time is welcome to join my friends and I this summer.  Any advice from others is welcome as well.

I am also interested in helping with any planning/riding of other long distance routes (especially in PA - I live in the Pittsburgh area).  
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 05:58:37 PM by batty » Logged

Topic Name: Monongahela National Forest - Big Tour Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 10:14:04 AM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 10:14:04 AM »

I did something similar, years ago, without as many single track sections.  I started in Garrett county, MD and went as far S as Lewisburg, WV to pick up the S end of the Greenbrier trail.  If you are interested, I think I have the route and can post it.

A few notes:  
1. I believe the northern section of the Dolly Sods is now Wilderness, so you can't cross the sods and drop into Canaan via Timberline Ski Resort anymore...
2. There are a lot of big climbs toward the end of the planned routed... Up to Spruce Knob, Up North Fork , Up to Roaring Plans/Dolly Sods  might want to switch things around and put that stuff on the front end and have the return be up Blackwater Canyon.  (maybe adjust the route direction to go clockwise instead of counter-clockwise)

From Seneca rocks, how to you plan to get on the North Fork?  

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:45:56 AM by jhl99 » Logged

Topic Name: Monongahela National Forest - Big Tour Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 12:01:42 PM
batty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 12:01:42 PM »

I did something similar, years ago, without as many single track sections.  I started in Garrett county, MD and went as far S as Lewisburg, WV to pick up the S end of the Greenbrier trail.  If you are interested, I think I have the route and can post it.

I think I read your report - I would love to see specifics on your route if you don't mind.

A few notes: 
1. I believe the northern section of the Dolly Sods is now Wilderness, so you can't cross the sods and drop into Canaan via Timberline Ski Resort anymore...

I think you are correct.  I was planning to talk to Blackwater Bikes and Chip from Whitegrass about that.  I think if you head north from Red Creek campground you can connect to Davis through Mt. Storm.  Otherwise could head south through Laneville. I guess we can hike-a-bike through the sods until we reach Timberline.

2. There are a lot of big climbs toward the end of the planned routed... Up to Spruce Knob, Up North Fork , Up to Roaring Plans/Dolly Sods  might want to switch things around and put that stuff on the front end and have the return be up Blackwater Canyon.  (maybe adjust the route direction to go clockwise instead of counter-clockwise)

Good point

From Seneca rocks, how to you plan to get on the North Fork? 

This would be a hike-a-bike section.  From the top of trail to north peak (that has the overlook), there is a pipeline that leads to the north fork.  I've backpacked this before.  Not going to be fun, but was trying to avoid Rt 28/55 and stay as dirt as possible.

Topic Name: Monongahela National Forest - Big Tour Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 04:19:04 AM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 04:19:04 AM »

This is the route I did in maybe 2000 or 2001:  
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fhome.windstream.net%2FJHLange%2F200x_WV_Tour_01.kml&hl=en&sll=38.50546,-79.782543&sspn=0.081003,0.164795&vpsrc=0&t=m&z=8

Interestingly, this was my first 'big tour' also.  I recognized  my skills and knowledge were pretty limited (and still are!) so I was very conservative in my route planning:
  • Strictly forest roads/paved roads and rail trail for the route
  • Relied on developed campgrounds, except for along Durbin/Bemis Rail Trail
  • Tried to rely on public, safe water sources for drinking water, if I recall, my only option at the time was to boil water to purify (maybe I brough Iodine as a backup, I can't remember)
  • Carried food for a least an extra day

Some things that I remember:
1.  Those radio telescopes at Greenbank seem huge.  I didn't check that place out enough.
2.  I tried to ride into the grounds at the Greenbrier http://www.greenbrier.com/ and was chased by security.  The guard did give me a break and let my take a few photos, then I had to get out!
3.  Lewisburg had good little bakery.
4.  I ditched my camping stuff and did an out and back to the top of Cass.  That was worth it.  
5.  The grocery/general stores have limited hours, like 9-5 or 9-6  I remember waiting for the little store in Durbin to open.

I like your plan of daily milages in the 30-50 miles/day range.  That is good.  It gives more time to sight see, recover and not feel rushed by milage requirements.

I believe the block of land on the ridge between Dolly Sods and Mt Storm is owned by a coal company.  At one time, I had great plans to ride across the roads shown on the topo maps and found that from the N end, the road is posted and, at the time, was an active road for mining and/or timbering. (The road is private).  Someone also told me that lakes shown on the topos have been drained.  Additionally, a lot of the land that is under coal company control is also posted by a hunting club that has hunting leases.

The Laneville option isn't that bad,  you can get on the Allegheny Trail at the S end Canaan S.P. and ride it over to the Canaan Loop road and then there are numerous options to get to Blackwater Falls S.P.... if you take the Loop road around, there is a nice view of the Blackwater Canyon at Linde? Point.

Hike-a-bike up the pipeline to the North Fork Trail sounds hard core.

Topic Name: Monongahela National Forest - Big Tour Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 07:00:09 PM
batty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 07:00:09 PM »

Thanks for your route info.

I see that you didn't visit the Cranberry Wilderness Area.  There are many weekend tour options - great riding.

I think all the camping will be in developed campgrounds for my trip as well (except on the greenbrier).  I hear you on the grocery stores, I've had similar experiences.  Greenbank is pretty incredible.  I toured it with my family a few summers ago.

I think I may stick to your clockwise suggestion for my tour.

Thanks again

Topic Name: Monongahela National Forest - Big Tour Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 05:01:50 PM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 05:01:50 PM »

Here is a trip where that skirted the Cranberry Backcountry... Backcountry being a designation that allows mountain bikes in the national forests.

http://www.bikepacking.net/tripreports/wv-new-river-bridge-loop/

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: