Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Mountain bikepacking tour, Pisgah mountains, 4 to 5 days route suggestions? on: December 24, 2012, 06:22:07 PM
JWL1975

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2012, 06:22:07 PM »

Any route recommendations for a bikepacking tour in the Pisgah mountain range?  Mix of dirt road, single track and paved to link sections together, preferably a loop but point to point would be OK.  I have been using National Geographic Map #780 Pisgah Ranger District.  I am not familiar with the area at all and the map does help but I don't trust myself to simply find a route and have it turn out good.

Any route that allows for primitive camping and water access (rivers or creeks) would be great.  I am thinking of mid May in 2013 for the trip.

Thanks

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 01:01:03 PM by JWL1975 » Logged

Topic Name: Mountain bikepacking tour, Pisgah mountains, 4 to 5 days route suggestions? Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 07:31:53 AM
LiiT

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 07:31:53 AM »

There are a few routes if you search Pisgah here on the site.  My experience is that the car camping is so easy and free to do, followed by a massive calorie bomb at the BBQ place and beers at the HUB, that carrying my gear just doesn't sound that fun...Not to mention some gnarly climbs and mega descents that will make you want a downhill bike.
The sheer volume of mileage available in the area has me trying to do multiple rides a day with plenty of beer drinking, caffeine, and praise jah between rides.  I do admit to maybe wanting to bikepack in the area, especially all the stuff around turkey pen and north, but if I do they'll probably be overnite loops with resupply back at the car.  So many trails, so little time.  Have a great ride.

Topic Name: Mountain bikepacking tour, Pisgah mountains, 4 to 5 days route suggestions? Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 08:44:31 AM
kkjellquist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 08:44:31 AM »

Respectfully disagree w/ LiiT and think Pisgah is a GREAT place to bikepack.  Going this weekend actually.

First things first, in Pisgah disregard mileage and think more like hours.  Fully loaded with significant single track you will average 4-6mph max.  Hope that helps with planning.  If you do get to your planned desitination too quickly, just drop your gear an add a loop or go for a hike.  Bite off more than you can handle and Pisgah can get miserable quickly!

Without knowing you, your preferences, ability, etc it's almost impossible to give you a route.  However I will list some must ride trails & trail combos;

Spencer Branch/Trace Ridge
Squirrel Gap (space for a small tent at Cantrell Creek that is excellent)
Laurel Mt/Pilot Rock (decent flat space to camp at intersection of the two, could be cold in May)
Farlow Gap/Daniel Ridge 
Black Mountain Trail
Bradley Creek (not a great trail, but lots of fresh running water and camp spots)

PLEASE RESPECT THE OFF LIMITS AND SEASONAL TRAILS.

You can pretty much camp anywhere in Pisgah when on a bike.  You will pass a lot of running creeks so don't worry about water, but bring a filter or iodine. 

If you do want to eat/drink in Brevard for an evening try and get a spot at Davidson River Campground and pedal into Brevard from there via the Bracken Mountain Trail. (Google it)

Weather-wise you should be pretty good, but it can be cold, especially at elevation.  Check the forecast and make sure to look at Brevard weather and not Asheville.  You could see high 30s and low 40s overnight…maybe.

Again, unless you are in excellent shape and trying for superhuman efforts don’t overestimate the ground you will cover in a day or afternoon. 

Topic Name: Mountain bikepacking tour, Pisgah mountains, 4 to 5 days route suggestions? Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 07:01:11 PM
sjanes

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 07:01:11 PM »

http://ashevillejanes.blogspot.com/2011/06/pisgah-traverse.html

Topic Name: Mountain bikepacking tour, Pisgah mountains, 4 to 5 days route suggestions? Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 07:59:25 PM
EpicRider

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 07:59:25 PM »

Also looking for some good routes that may not require a heck of a lot of climbing. Ive lowered my expectations for a ton of singletrack and would be fine with dirt roads to connect trails. I purchased the Nat Geo Map it tool to view all of the Trails Illustrated. Now i just need to figure out what im looking at.

Topic Name: Mountain bikepacking tour, Pisgah mountains, 4 to 5 days route suggestions? Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 01:21:29 PM
JWL1975

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 01:21:29 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll definitely study the maps more based on recommendations.  First time in Pisgah for me so this should be great.

Topic Name: Mountain bikepacking tour, Pisgah mountains, 4 to 5 days route suggestions? Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 01:13:53 AM
EpicRider

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 01:13:53 AM »

JWL did you decide on a few routes? I am also looking at maps and alltrails to find a good route

Topic Name: Mountain bikepacking tour, Pisgah mountains, 4 to 5 days route suggestions? Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:34:05 AM
driftwood

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:34:05 AM »

Also looking for some good routes that may not require a heck of a lot of climbing. Ive lowered my expectations for a ton of singletrack and would be fine with dirt roads to connect trails. I purchased the Nat Geo Map it tool to view all of the Trails Illustrated. Now i just need to figure out what im looking at.

There is a lot of climbing in Pisgah. Even if you stick with mainly gravel roads there is still going to be a lot of climbing.

But Pisgah is great place for bike packing. Like kkjellquist says you will just move slower than you might expect.

I have lots of good loops in the Pisgah Ranger District. Here is a good 100 mile mainly gravel loop starting and ending from the Ranger Station:

Right on FR477
Right on FR5058 Clawhammer Rd.
Straight on Buckhorn Gap Trail 103
Left on South Mills River Trail 133
Straight on FR476
Right on FR1206 Yellow Gap Rd.
Left on FR5000
Straight on FR479
Right on FR479M South Ridge Rd.
Right on FR481
Left on FR491
Left on Little Hickory Top Trail 136
Right FR479G
Right on FR479
Right on Blue Ridge Parkway
Left on Trace Ridge Trail 354 *You must walk your bike down the trail to the carsonite sign indicating where you can begin riding*
Left on FR142
Right on FR5000
Left on FR1206
Left on Hwy276
Right on FR475B
Right on FR5045
Left on Sienard Ridge Trail 609 HIKING ONLY trail. Please carry your bike and respect trail designations.
Left on Blue Ridge Parkway
Right on FR816
Left on Flat Laurel Creek Trail 346
Left on Hwy215
Left on FR140
Right on FR5031
Right on FR229
Left on FR475
Right on Long Branch Trail 116
Left on FR5095
Right on FR475
Right on Davidson River Trail 650
Right on FR475
Right on Hwy276

If anyone does this route I ask that you Please respect the trail designations and carry your bike down Trace Ridge trail until you reach a carsonite sign indicating it is okay to begin riding. Also please carry your bike up Sienard Ridge Trail (it is too steep to ride up anyway!).

My directions might be off a little in the Bent Creek area. Just wander around there for awhile.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Topic Name: Mountain bikepacking tour, Pisgah mountains, 4 to 5 days route suggestions? Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 07:56:05 AM
JWL1975

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 07:56:05 AM »

@ EpicRider.  I have not picked a route yet but based on the suggestions posted, I will probably follow one of the suggested routes or diverge a bit to either lengthen or shorten.
I am also thinking of heading out around May to scout the area for a few days as I am planning a longer ride with larger group of people.  Maybe drive around a bit to get acquainted with the area.

@driftwood.  Thanks for the route.  I may try this out especially since its mostly gravel.  Pisgah single track defiantly has a reputation, even here in Midwest.

Thanks all
Jin

Topic Name: Mountain bikepacking tour, Pisgah mountains, 4 to 5 days route suggestions? Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 09:35:30 AM
Chunt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 09:35:30 AM »

Looks like a fine route Driftwood. Just traced it on my Nat Geo 780 map, which shows most of the FS roads and trails, but I'll be getting a better map if I do it. A few of the FS roads look gated which just adds to the wilderness feel of it. Nice route. Looks like it would take possibly three touring paced days to complete if one wanted to have fun with it and make photos/video.

Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in his shoes. That way when you do judge him you'll be a mile away and have his shoes.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: